• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torts is not and has never been a "long term coach". Surprised he lasted as long as he did in Columbus.

Long term in the sense he's been an NHL coach for a very long time. The Rangers will not be holding a prettiest pass competition nightly if Tortorella is here, nor coming out flat night after night.

Long term in the sense he's been an NHL coach for a very long time. The Rangers will not be holding a prettiest pass competition nightly if Tortorella is here, nor coming out flat night after night.

They could've used that 'Safe is death' mantra as they were blowing leads left and right.

Right? I was thinking he was injured also. Although Torts is to blame for that too because shot blocking!

They only just barely got out of the last year of his contract because injury would've prevented a buyout. They were still able to buy him out despite his injury, thankfully.

Torts' game definitely wore down Drury amongst others (Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, etc.) but that also made a team of relative nobodies successful. Tortorella hasn't had a team with this much talent since Tampa. Maybe Vancouver but that situation was never optimal for him. The Rangers and Blue Jackets were largely nobodies with talent sprinkled in.

They only just barely got out of the last year of his contract because injury would've prevented a buyout. They were still able to buy him out despite his injury, thankfully.

Torts' game definitely wore down Drury amongst others (Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, etc.) but that also made a team of relative nobodies successful. Tortorella hasn't had a team with this much talent since Tampa. Maybe Vancouver but that situation was never optimal for him. The Rangers and Blue Jackets were largely nobodies with talent sprinkled in.

The Rangers now are basically the reverse of when Torts was here initially. Not a whole lot of skill, but a lot 'grinder' type players then. This current Rangers team could use players like a Callahan or a Dubinsky type. I'm sure that will be addressed anyway, but you know what I'm saying.

The Rangers now are basically the reverse of when Torts was here initially. Not a whole lot of skill, but a lot 'grinder' type players then. This current Rangers team could use players like a Callahan or a Dubinsky type. I'm sure that will be addressed anyway, but you know what I'm saying.

Torts seems to have very little difficulty finding or producing loyal soldiers. I'm sure the Rangers will have no issue producing depth out of some nobodies.

They do. Brooks and Carp both have a tight pulse and insider access. No one has been on the beat this year due to Covid. They're not in the room talking to players. Brooks was just on a Rangers podcast saying this recently, talking about how the year felt unfulfilling because he hasn't even met half the players.
And later in the same podcast Brooks said that he doesn't envision Drury/Dolan (Dolan/Drury?) going with a first time NHL coach this time. They want someone with experience who preferably has a Cup on his resume.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Torts seems to have very little difficulty finding or producing loyal soldiers. I'm sure the Rangers will have no issue producing depth out of some nobodies.

Indeed. Plus Drury can provide him with those types of players this offseason anyway. I wouldn't be too worried about that.

I love me some Torts, but no. Not the right team for him.

I'm not a big Gallant fan. There's got to be a book on him somewhere which is why he's not coaching in the league right now. There are some awful coaches, and if he's sitting on the sidelines I suspect there's a reason. That's just my personal feeling.

I do think they need to go with an established veteran name. They don't need another first-time NHL coach.

Look at the drastic decline in every other player on the BJ's while he was there.

It's an easy no.

How so? I posted this in another thread a few days ago:

The following CBJ players who were just kids at some point when Torts was coach never seemed to have a problem thriving under him:

Seth Jones

Zach Werenski

Pierre Luc Dubois (he just wanted out, period, never blamed Torts AFAIK)

Josh Anderson

Oliver Bjorkstrand

Boone Jenner

Brandon Saad

I'm not a big Gallant fan. There's got to be a book on him somewhere which is why he's not coaching in the league right now. There are some awful coaches, and if he's sitting on the sidelines I suspect there's a reason. That's just my personal feeling.

I do think they need to go with an established veteran name. They don't need another first-time NHL coach.

Would you consider Brind’Amour to be a veteran at this point?

Throw some ideas out. Who do you like?

Brind'Amour is arguably the most unattainable name there is. He's not going anywhere. They already have a three-year deal in their pocket per Friedman. It's just not signed yet.

I'd like to see Brind'amor or Quenneville. Those would be my top 2 choices, but I don't think they're available, Vodka. I'm just watching everybody's opinion on what may be best going forward. I'm curious to see who Drury picks. There's a lot of smoke for Torts, but I'm looking forward to see how this shakes out.