• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

I don't get why Torts is an option. If these players didn't like Quinn, they will hate Torts. We have a bunch of Euros, Torts won't like them either.

Well the owner likes him and the owner is sick of being pushed around by our rivals. So I'm not sure this hire is being made to make the players happy. It's being made because the players lack will and leadership. Two things Torts brings in spades. At least this should be the line of thinking.

I don't see any reason to fire Quinn if hiring a inexperienced head coach is your next move. Even Tocchet, is he really a better option than Quinn?

To me it's basically 4 guys:

Torts, Babcock, Gallant, Boudreau

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gallant would be a fantastic hire. Not my first choice but he's very up there.

Same. I would hope he would feel this is a better situation than Seattle giving him a chance to compete sooner. Unless he thinks he can strike gold twice in a row like he did on Vegas and he doesn't want to deal with a guy like Dolan.

That's not accurate.

Jones' stock is WAY down.

PLD - come on, seriously? That's not helping your point.

Anderson down to 1g 4p in 26 games his last season. That's worse than Howden.

Bjokstrom dropped in goals, went from +8 to -15.

Jenner was a captain when Torts got there, and has had a pretty steady decline in production and play since.

Saad is a weird name to bring up

This is a pretty sad list for 6 seasons with the team.

Jones stock went down? I didn't hear that. His boxcar numbers aren't as appealing because good players left Columbus the city (guys like Panarin and Bob simply didn't want to live there).

PLD's entire career had been with Torts. He had no issue playing well and making a name for himself. See comment above about not wanting to live and play in Columbus the city. He's on record saying he appreciated Torts.

Anderson progressed every year under Torts. He went from a 21 year old 4th round nobody to a formidable player. Torts was there at the beginning for him. Sure, Anderson had a bad start to that last year in Columbus, which was the year after they went for it all and they lost guys to UFA, but he also got hurt and did not have a chance to rebound.

Bjorkstrand has significantly progressed the last 2 seasons. Last year he was pacing 35 goals and 60 points. This year he was pacing 26 goals and 65 points. A 3rd round pick whose entire career has been under Torts.

Jenner had a career year under Torts the first season Torts was there. He clearly overperformed his skill level that year. He's been a consistent and solid 3rd line player for years now.

Saad brought up because he had the 2 best years of his career under Torts at 23 and 24 years of age. The only reason they even traded him was because it landed Panarin...so no brainer.

I'll repeat what Phil has been saying. This weird narrative around Torts that say young players and talent dies near him is an incredibly lazy one.

• Like 1

Well the owner likes him and the owner is sick of being pushed around by our rivals. So I'm not sure this hire is being made to make the players happy. It's being made because the players lack will and leadership. Two things Torts brings in spades. At least this should be the line of thinking.

I don't see any reason to fire Quinn if hiring a inexperienced head coach is your next move. Even Tocchet, is he really a better option than Quinn?

To me it's basically 4 guys:

Torts, Babcock, Gallant, Boudreau

Buddy of mine had this synopsis thought it was pretty good:

Gallant - Pros: he did the most with the least. He led the Vegas Golden Knights to the Stanley Cup in their inaugural season and led a somewhat pedestrian Panthers team to the best record in their division in 2015. That team had a nice blend of veterans (they had Jagr and Jussi Jokinen) and youngsters (like Barkov, Ekblad, Trochek and Huberdeau) much like what the Rangers have now. He was a tough-ass player in Detroit and that carries over into coaching philosophy.

Cons: he's been fired unceremoniously by two different teams despite his successes. The Panthers literally fired him, kicked him off the bus and made him call his own taxi. There's something there (perhaps an attitude issue?), but I don't think it's ever been concluded what.

Tocchet - Pros: led an anemic and a dysfunctional Coyotes organization to be somewhat respectable. I mean it can be said that he squeezed every ounce of talent out of that team. Won two Stanley Cups as an assistant with Pittsburgh and was a hell of a player back in the day for the Penguins and Flyers. Tough and hard-nosed coach, who expects the same out of his players.

Cons: in 6 seasons with the Lightning and Coyotes, he only made the postseason once, which amounted to a first round exit.

Boudreau - Pros: He has the second-highest winning percentage in NHL history for a coach who has coached at least 900 games. In 12 full seasons behind the bench, Boudreau has made the playoffs 10 times.

Cons: In those 10 playoff appearance, he never made the Stanley Cup. Also got on Rangers' fans nerves when he said MSG wasn't that loud. Similar to Gallant, he also has somewhat of a short leash despite his successes. Perhaps he rubs ownership/management the wrong way?

Claude Julien - Pros: Been to the Stanley Cup twice with the Bruins. Has a puck-dominant philosophy, which can lead to a lot of offense.

Cons: has health concerns. His most recent stint in Montreal was rather unsuccessful, as PJ can attest to. Hasn't been past the first round since 2013.

Mike Babcock - Pros: He's been a HC since 2002 and with the exception of two seasons has made the playoffs every single (full) season. His teams are very disciplined. Babcock's teams generally focus on skills and puck possession over physical play and toughness. Been to three Stanley Cups.

Cons: many of his players absolutely hate his guts. He can be a real asshole (just ask Mitch Marner). He's essentially a persona non grata.

Bob Hartley - Pros: another highly-winning HC. He's a hard-ass and a disciplinarian (could be a con). Think of Tom Coughlin with ice skates. Coached Chris Drury to a Stanley Cup in Colorado in 2000-2001.

Cons: His most recent stint with Calgary was a bust. Hasn't coached in the NHL since 2016.

Patrick Roy - Pros: HOF goalie. Ex-teammate of Chris Drury.

Cons: only made the playoffs once in 3 years coaching the Avalanche (though he won the Jack Adams for best coach). Made A LOT Of questionable coaching decisions.

John Tortorella - Pros: winningest American HC in NHL history. Gets the most out of his team. Had a lot of success with the Rangers. Knows New York and the media. Dolan loves him. Uncle Larry hates him. Won the Stanley Cup.

Cons: can be very hard on young players. And his reputation precedes him. He can be a prick.

• Like 1

Jones stock went down? I didn't hear that. His boxcar numbers aren't as appealing because good players left Columbus the city (guys like Panarin and Bob simply didn't want to live there).

PLD's entire career had been with Torts. He had no issue playing well and making a name for himself. See comment above about not wanting to live and play in Columbus the city. He's on record saying he appreciated Torts.

Anderson progressed every year under Torts. He went from a 21 year old 4th round nobody to a formidable player. Torts was there at the beginning for him. Sure, Anderson had a bad start to that last year in Columbus, which was the year after they went for it all and they lost guys to UFA, but he also got hurt and did not have a chance to rebound.

Bjorkstrand has significantly progressed the last 2 seasons. Last year he was pacing 35 goals and 60 points. This year he was pacing 26 goals and 65 points. A 3rd round pick whose entire career has been under Torts.

Jenner had a career year under Torts the first season Torts was there. He clearly overperformed his skill level that year. He's been a consistent and solid 3rd line player for years now.

Saad brought up because he had the 2 best years of his career under Torts at 23 and 24 years of age. The only reason they even traded him was because it landed Panarin...so no brainer.

I'll repeat what Phil has been saying. This weird narrative around Torts that say young players and talent dies near him is an incredibly lazy one.

Yeah, i think Jones' stock went down. Still good, but no longer in the talks of the best in the league.

I mean, I dont see how you can list Anderson & PLD. Are you going to list Laine next?

Torts came in part-way through the season during Jenner's career season. Why didnt his numbers improve from when he was a 21 year old?

Your "proof" is even lazier. This list is embarrassing when you're trying to talk him up! You named guys that wanted out, and 4th line players, lol.

I mean, I dont see how you can list Anderson & PLD. Are you going to list Laine next?

Losing the best LW in hockey as your linemate and only losing .03 P/GP is pretty good for a 21-year-old Dubois. Anderson mostly injured and struggling to return to form.

Such a shame that Torts can't make Columbus a more viable destination or prevent injuries.

Compared to Quinn in NY:

Zibanejad career highs

Strome career highs

Buchnevich career highs

Fox top dman.

DeAngelo career high

Lindgren untouchable

(I didnt include Panarin's 2 career seasons as he was acquired as a FA)

Doesnt even compare.

Compared to Quinn in NY:

Zibanejad career highs

Strome career highs

Buchnevich career highs

Fox top dman.

DeAngelo career high

Lindgren untouchable

(I didnt include Panarin's 2 career seasons as he was acquired as a FA)

Doesnt even compare.

The Rangers have talent.

The Blue Jackets have whatever the fuck this is:

Screen-Shot-2021-05-12-at-2-35-07-PM.png

• Like 1

Throwing a total curveball here...

Former recent player

Involved in coaching

Knows Drury well

Knows the Rangers well

Preaches a hardworking game

...doesn't this sound just a bit like Dan Girardi?

would love him as an assistant

I’m very upset we lost Martin as an assistant. Really like what he did with us defensively. But hopefully this group learned enough to take it with them moving forward.

I’d like to see Adam Oates bought in as an assistant coach. He has experience, good with PP, and most importantly can hope with faceoffs, which badly needs fixing with this group.

The way that Brind Amour was able to get his whole team skating hard for every shift was truly incredible. Chances on him are extremely thin but he's top of the list. Carolina looked like they were playing in the playoffs for most of the regular season.

Gallant performed some miracles in Vegas and maybe a nice fit for NY. I wouldn't mind a Torts return either. There's too many unknowns with Tocchet for me. I just really want a coach that will not except coasting or taking a night off or shift off. Thank god all the Quinn coins are done.

Mike Zanier

@MikeZanier

· 14m

Hearing from a friend in New York that @VLHlive head coach Sam Hallam with 3 Championships in the last 7 yrs in the SHL might be interviewed for the vacant @NYRangers job

Mike Zanier

@MikeZanier

· 14m

Hearing from a friend in New York that @VLHlive head coach Sam Hallam with 3 Championships in the last 7 yrs in the SHL might be interviewed for the vacant @NYRangers job

Mike Zanier

@MikeZanier

· 14m

I too would like to throw my hat in the ring. A seasoned veteran of EHM hockey manager I feel I can right this ship.

• Like 1

Mike Zanier

@MikeZanier

· 14m

I too would like to throw my hat in the ring. A seasoned veteran of EHM hockey manager I feel I can right this ship.

I’m very upset we lost Martin as an assistant. Really like what he did with us defensively. But hopefully this group learned enough to take it with them moving forward.

I’d like to see Adam Oates bought in as an assistant coach. He has experience, good with PP, and most importantly can hope with faceoffs, which badly needs fixing with this group.

I thought we discussed Oates a few months ago but can't find it. Someone brought up the name, I read up on what he was doing,etc. He said he's happy with his consulting position and would prefer to stay in that role, where he can work with all sorts of players and not have to worry about an organization. Some of that was during an older spittin chicklets podcast.Ozzy had brought up his name in discussions years back.