• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myth. Panarin scored back-to-back near 30 goals and was better than point-per-game with Torts in Columbus.

This narrative is so lazy.

He was the ONLY player on Columbus to get close to that while everyone else's stats declined.

I don't think thats credit for Tortorella's coaching. It's another example of Panarin being able to overcome terrible coaches. He even did better when he left Columbus.

What’s it like playing for John Tortorella?

Player 3: You see the perception, right? But I watched the game where Patrik Laine got benched (earlier this season). I don’t like saying this kind of stuff about other players because I know how hard this league is. But I see the response afterward, and it’s “Well, it’s Torts’ fault.” And I’m like, “How is that Torts’ fault?” Torts is hard on guys and he’s honest, but I think he’s mellowed out a lot over the years. There are things about him that you don’t like, but there are things about every coach that you don’t like. After you’re done playing for Torts, though, you appreciate what he brings. He tells you exactly what he thinks. I would love if every coach was like that.

Some of the stuff he does out in the open in front of everybody, some guys don’t like that. I think they would appreciate it more if it was kept private. But I have a lot of respect for Torts and I appreciate how he goes about his business. The perception around him should probably change, but people don’t want to hear it.

Player 2: The big thing to me was that Torts gets a bad rap. He sets a standard and expects you to play to it every night. I will say this … I’ve had coaches who try to do the same thing as Torts, guys who want to be Tortorella, but they can’t be. Not even close. They want to be Torts but then they cater to the top players, the star players. “How do I make sure these guys stay happy? How do I keep them feelin’ good?” And all the stuff they can’t say to the star players, they take out on the other players. They preach honesty, like Torts does, but they don’t actually follow through on it. That’s the hard part. With Torts, he gets a bad rap, but I found his complete honesty with everyone to be very refreshing because I’d been with coaches where you’re like, “Fuck off. You’re honest, but only with like half the team.”

Torts would just as soon call out Bob or Panarin or Cam (Atkinson) as he would Lukas Sedlak or whoever on the fourth line. I had a ton of respect for that. I respected the hell out of that. Now, Torts may have some misgivings as a coach with tactics and adjustments. His thing is go out, work hard and we’ll win (laughs), and that’s not always the case. But I think he is a fantastic coach.

Link: https://theathletic.com/2546910/2021/05/03/former-blue-jackets-on-whats-wrong-with-columbus-if-youre-going-to-try-to-sign-free-agents-you-need-to-overpay/

This is an excerpt from an article from the Athletic explaining what's wrong with Columbus as an organization and why it fails to attract and retain players. This is what two players had to say about Torts. This reads exactly like what this team needs.

Player 2: The big thing to me was that Torts gets a bad rap. He sets a standard and expects you to play to it every night. I will say this … I’ve had coaches who try to do the same thing as Torts, guys who want to be Tortorella, but they can’t be. Not even close. They want to be Torts but then they cater to the top players, the star players. “How do I make sure these guys stay happy? How do I keep them feelin’ good?” And all the stuff they can’t say to the star players, they take out on the other players. They preach honesty, like Torts does, but they don’t actually follow through on it. That’s the hard part. With Torts, he gets a bad rap, but I found his complete honesty with everyone to be very refreshing because I’d been with coaches where you’re like, “Fuck off. You’re honest, but only with like half the team.”

This feels like it describes someone like Quinn which emphasizes a need for someone like Torts when you have Brooks writing things like:

As well, Quinn was unable to get his marquee players to buy in on the need to adopt a more straight-line approach when opponents such as the Islanders game-planned to take away their time and space.

His pleas for the club to adopt more of a shooting mentality never seemed to get through to the skilled players, who became increasingly stubborn this year in their quest to score picture-perfect goals.

That won't happen under Torts.

He was the ONLY player on Columbus to get close to that while everyone else's stats declined.

I don't think thats credit for Tortorella's coaching. It's another example of Panarin being able to overcome terrible coaches. He even did better when he left Columbus.

Where he also played with better players.

Myth. Panarin scored back-to-back near 30 goals and was better than point-per-game with Torts in Columbus.

This narrative is so lazy.

And we now know he's capable of way more than that, so Torts clearly was not getting the most out of him. We're talking about the two years directly before he came to us and saw his production sky rocket.

1.05 points per game under Torts. 1.37 points per game the two seasons since leaving him.

I want a recent ex-player. I'll scrounge up a list soon.

I think I mentioned Drury, but I dont think that's an option.

I listed some former Rangers that are assistants

on other teams in another thread.

How about Ulf Samuelsson?

I suggested Roy before Quinn was hired and that didn't go over well here.

This team isn’t a Torts team. This isn’t a grinding team, it is a team that has a lot of skill. For years we complained how boring this team was with the players he wanted and brought in. I don’t want to go back to that.

Yeah, no. Most of Columbus' offensive failings can be attributed to an overall lack of talent on that team and the team having been plagued by injuries over the last two seasons.

It's pretty easy to attribute Atkinson's falling off to injury last season as well as losing Panarin as a linemate. Dubois also suffered similarly. Foligno had one 70 point season in his career and you've made it out as if Tortorella ruined him. No, he reverted back to producing around his career average. That 70 point season was an outlier.

Columbus has no talent because talent doesn't want to go there or stay there.

I listed some former Rangers that are assistants

on other teams in another thread.

How about Ulf Samuelsson?

I suggested Roy before Quinn was hired and that didn't go over well here.

I was thinking about him as well, and even Beukeboom.

I'm pretty open to it too honestly. What you mentioned, with the Rangers probably wanting an experienced head coach and Dolan's comments, I think the stars are aligning for a reunion. Plus, Drury played under Tortorella when he was here too.

Drury also retired early while under Torts.... So, there's that..

WOW !!! that didn't take long and I wondering if this was prompted by the exit interviews with the players. I'm really surprised of the removal of Benoit Allaire I thought he was untouchable.

You misread; Allaire was the only assistant to not be let go

Nobody concerned that Gallant has gotten fired in his 3rd season in each city he coached? Panthers were so disgusted with him that they kicked him to the curb and made him call a taxi. Knights were 5 games over .500 mid-way through the season. Seems like his style wears thin after a couple of seasons.

Im surprised about Martin, if the Rangers were to promote Knoblauch I would think Martin would still be behind the bench as assistant, Martin did a good job with the D and the PK. So, just based on that I'm gonna think Knoblauch won't get promoted.

I wonder if they plan to bring Beuk or Samuelsson back as an assistant for the D to toughen them up?

Sather and Drury will be doing the interviewing. As of now the list is Mark Messier, Kris Knoblauch, Rick Tocchett, John Tortorella, Bruce Bou dreau, Gerard Gallant Mike Babcock and Travis Green working with analytics will be important

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Isn't Yeo an analytics guy? He's probably in the conversation.

I'm all about Boudreau.

One of Gallant, Boudreau or Torts. Not interested in anyone else.

Has to be a long term NHL coach. Suspect Gallant and Torts are the favorites. And Tortorella still being pals with Dolan matters. Knoblauch should be the top assistant.

Has to be a long term NHL coach. Suspect Gallant and Torts are the favorites. And Tortorella still being pals with Dolan matters. Knoblauch should be the top assistant.

Torts is not and has never been a "long term coach". Surprised he lasted as long as he did in Columbus.