• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire David Quinn, All Assistants; Keeping Benoit Allaire

siddious

Cant hire a 1st time NHL HC.

They just did that and weren’t happy with the results. Not doing that again.

It’ll be an experienced guy. 100%

They absolutely can hire a first time NHL HC here. Plenty of NHL Assoc/Assistant coaches who would be good fits. SHOULD they do that? Ah, another question.

The key, imo, is to hire someone who can effectively balance two heavily competing priorities - get to winning, don't stunt development. And truly, I don't think that's possible for one person.

I also think there's no rule saying "you must have x coaches".

I'd think of it this way - hire someone as the head coach who can speak to all of it, but truly excels as a game strategist. Get an associate who is a real Xs and Os guy. Get an assistant who gets special teams. Keep Allaire. Hire a skills coach and a development coach - these two will work EXCLUSIVELY with the 24 and unders - the skills guy can expand some to working with veterans on specific techniques, but their roles would be excessively and relentlessly focused on making sure the on-ice and "adjust to pro life" stuff is A1.

I'd imagine most teams already do this, but I think it's paramount that the Rangers hire almost in tandem here.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point behind "they can't hire a rookie coach" is that they need someone with experience. In other words, not Hallam or Gronberg, or any other European or KHL coach who has never been behind an NHL bench and has no playoffs experience. So, yes, you could theoretically pick up a long-standing assistant ready to make the jump to bench boss, but the fundamental point never changes. No NHL rookies.

The point behind "they can't hire a rookie coach" is that they need someone with experience. In other words, not Hallam or Gronberg, or any other European or KHL coach who has never been behind an NHL bench and has no playoffs experience. So, yes, you could theoretically pick up a long-standing assistant ready to make the jump to bench boss, but the fundamental point never changes. No NHL rookies.

Sure, but I think the difference is meaningful here.

Being a first time NHL HC with years of experience in the NHL is different, and it should open our minds up to some other options. When you look at the last few coaches who made the SCF - Bowness, Cooper, Cassidy, Berube, Gallant, Trotz, Sullivan, Laviolette, Deboer - there's a really good mix of "Assistant who finally had his number called", "completely fucking new to HC and/or has disastrous prior HC record", "Hockey guy"

There's no real rhyme or reason to it - pick a guy who knows the NHL, knows NHLers, and can get the most out of a hyper-talented young group.

I liked this except from the same article mentioned above by twominutesfornothing:

There are several qualities that make him an excellent coach. He is a brilliant communicator, and he has shown that he can work equally efficiently with veterans as well as with young players. Just look at what Hallam did with Elias Pettersson before the player left for Vancouver.

There are observers who say that his teams play an overly academic or calculating style of hockey and, although there may be some truth to it, no one with the Lakers seems to care. The three championship titles in six years are solid proof of that. They are a team that relies on puck possession, opportunistic scoring and a suffocating defence.

This was very visible in the finals. R?gle, which scored a league-high 164 goals during the regular season, got very few clean looks at goaltender Erik K?llstr?m in those five games. Speaking of opportunistic scoring, V?xj? had five sudden-death games in the playoffs and won all of them.

Aside from Hallam’s qualities as a coach and his relationship with players, he is also an excellent ambassador for the club, well-spoken and articulate and he stays that way even after tough losses.

———-

I Especially like the suffocating defense and very few clean looks at the goaltender part.

True he’s a long shot but sounds good on paper.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It may be the perfect time to "Rico Suave" in there, and clip him from out from under Carolina, Pete. We had a chance to do this right a few years ago when we hired Quinn; Now we have a rare chance to do it right again. If money is no object, and obviously coach salary doesn't count against the cap, why not blow him away with a good deal for him and his coaching staff?

I figure we get this shit done right this time and stop fuckin' around! ;)

I don't think anyone up here would have any issue with Brind'amour....Not for nuthin' but, he looks like he could still probably play on the 4th line too!! :rofl:

The timing stinks. The Rangers would have to wait until his team is eliminated. That could be in 2 months. I don't think the Rangers can afford to wait for a maybe. Other teams will be looking for coach. What if the Rangers wait it out and all the good options go elsewhere, and Brind'amour stays put?

Can't risk it and can't tamper.

I liked this except from the same article mentioned above by twominutesfornothing:

There are several qualities that make him an excellent coach. He is a brilliant communicator, and he has shown that he can work equally efficiently with veterans as well as with young players. Just look at what Hallam did with Elias Pettersson before the player left for Vancouver.

There are observers who say that his teams play an overly academic or calculating style of hockey and, although there may be some truth to it, no one with the Lakers seems to care. The three championship titles in six years are solid proof of that. They are a team that relies on puck possession, opportunistic scoring and a suffocating defence.

This was very visible in the finals. R?gle, which scored a league-high 164 goals during the regular season, got very few clean looks at goaltender Erik K?llstr?m in those five games. Speaking of opportunistic scoring, V?xj? had five sudden-death games in the playoffs and won all of them.

Aside from Hallam’s qualities as a coach and his relationship with players, he is also an excellent ambassador for the club, well-spoken and articulate and he stays that way even after tough losses.

———-

I Especially like the suffocating defense and very few clean looks at the goaltender part.

True he’s a long shot but sounds good on paper.

I'll ask again. Does he speak English? How would a great communicator communicate if he speaks another language. You can not have a translator screaming out commands . It'd be ridiculous.

Add in its a very different style of play. I'd imagine it's much less physical in the SHL. Which makes me a little nervous when people hype up Lundkvist...

I'll ask again. Does he speak English? How would a great communicator communicate if he speaks another language. You can not have a translator screaming out commands . It'd be ridiculous.

Add in its a very different style of play. I'd imagine it's much less physical in the SHL. Which makes me a little nervous when people hype up Lundkvist...

Ever been to Sweden? The Swedes speak better English than most Americans do. Enough with this dog whistle garbage.

I think Drury would have to have huge huge balls to hire an inexperienced coach. Especially with Dolan money to spend. If it’s me I would have a serious talk with Gallant about bringing 2 veteran coaches to help him run the team. Everyone knows he’s gonna want to bring in his boy Mike Kelly but Imagine a well experienced coaching staff with Boudreaux & Kevin Dineen behind the bench along with Gallant & Kelly.

I would love to say Gallant, Boudreau, & Julien but ALL 3 are defensive coaches, Dineen is an offensive coach. I wouldn’t touch Hartley, Babcock or Torts, all have reps as being douches with their players.

Ever been to Sweden? The Swedes speak better English than most Americans do. Enough with this dog whistle garbage.

???

Dog whistle garbage? Wtf? It's a legit question. Not many know of him and while many Swedes speak English, there's a chance he doesn't . A simple, "yes he does," would have been fine instead of this weird over reaction. Is he your fucking uncle or something? No need for that.

• Like 1

???

Dog whistle garbage? Wtf? It's a legit question. Not many know of him and while many Swedes speak English, there's a chance he doesn't . A simple, "yes he does," would have been fine instead of this weird over reaction. Is he your fucking uncle or something? No need for that.

The two most important players for our franchise in the last two decades have both been straight from Sweden and speak nearly flawless English - including one from the middle of fucking nowhere. This isn't a legit question. You quite literally know better than this.

Like nearly everyone in Sweden, he speaks fluent English.

The two most important players for our franchise in the last two decades have both been straight from Sweden and speak nearly flawless English - including one from the middle of fucking nowhere. This isn't a legit question. You quite literally know better than this.

Repped for giving Andersson the recognition he deserves

• Like 1

The Blue Jackets also are expected to seek permission in the coming days to interview Gerard Gallant. It’s a job Gallant has held before, of course. He was head coach of the Blue Jackets from 2003-04 to 2005-06 after serving as an assistant coach in the first three years of the organization.

Gallant, who is on his way to Latvia to coach Canada in the IIHF World Championship, is still under contract with Vegas through the end of next month. He took the Golden Knights to the Stanley Cup Final in their first season (2017-18). He won the Jack Adams Trophy that season as the NHL’s top coach.

The New York Rangers on Thursday were granted permission by Vegas to interview Gallant as a candidate to replace David Quinn, who was fired on Wednesday.

https://theathletic.com/2587391/2021/05/13/panarin-2-0-blue-jackets-willing-to-keep-seth-jones-into-2021-22-without-extension/?source=emp_shared_article&redirected=1

It's funny because language, or preferably, the correct ethnicity, is the most important prerequisite for every position in an entire, certain, organization in the league, and that's totally fine.

Oui

This is really a weird reaction man.

I didn't know. I don't know a thing about the guy. I know Jack Shit about the SHL. I figured the SEL was the premier league there. I wasn't aware that THAT many Swedes spoke perfect English. Never been there. I'd imagine not many HAVE been.

I just find it odd that when ever there's an interview from a Swedish news source, nobody can translate it to English.

I listen to a lot of metal, and I know a lot of the Swedish death metal musicians sing a lot in English, yet they admit they sometimes DONT really speak the language too well...

So? Uncle? Cousin?