• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be the Next Coach?

Who will be the next coach?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach?

I just want a coach where I don't feel like we're going to ho-hum our way to third in the division and an exit within 10 games of the playoffs.

Like...Laviolette will get us exactly that. The only variable is whether we're eliminated in round 1 or quickly in round 2. Hynes will get us exactly that - we'll make the playoffs and we'll lose within three weeks.

I don't know what Roy, or Leach, or anyone else gets us. Maybe it's exactly that. Maybe it's better. Maybe it's far, far worse. But I'd rather us gamble on something that could be huge instead of taking the safer road toward being marginally better than the mushy middle.

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The last person I want is Messier. I’m sorry, but no experience whatsoever is not what this team needs. Hiring someone just because of his standing with the fanbase would likely be career suicide for Drury. 

There just isn’t a whole lot out there.

Don't think he could take the job without a safety net. And Drury is not hiring anyone not on the same page as him; won't happen. A guy who has never been a coach on any level (unless he coached his kid's teams, no idea) is simply not gonna fly. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah, it could it be possible that any of those coaches doomed themselves, could it? 

Does a cute nicknames though, what Rangers Twitter thread did you read them in? 

No idea if Quinn or Gallant made a mess themselves or they could not get thru the rock hard skulls of the 2 highest-paid players here. Operationally though we all saw it. Now in fairness these are 2 tremendously talent offensive players. And if you dumped either you would miss them ,  especially in the 82 game regular season. Is it that they're  assholes who don't listen when it matters or coaches cannot get thru that they way they're doing things in April and May is flawed and counterproductive? Quinn often said the right things. Gallant with his "talent isn't everything" swan song hinted at this issue. 

Think we can say is MSG pays very well, treats the players very well  and lends itself to a very comfortable culture . A coach that screams 24/7 is gonna get tuned out very quickly. But there needs to be some piss and vinegar here. John Hynes? No. 

Edited by Bugg

Not to shit on anything that anyone is saying, but Mess shouldn’t be and isn’t in the conversation. Not at all. 

Mess retired 20 years ago. If at any point after he wanted to do some coaching, there would’ve been no shortage of solid places in the 3 most important NA leagues, plus College hockey or going abroad, that would’ve loved to have Mark Messier on their coaching staff. There are a few places he could’ve gone… like somewhere in the CHL, that would’ve likely given him an HC job right away. And he certainly could have gone AHL or NHL assistant in any number of places/organizations right away. 

He could’ve honestly even taken 5 years off, and still been 47-48 and started then. 
He’s done almost no coaching. 

He did none of those things. And also… he’ll be 63 in January.

You don’t start coaching at 63. And certainly not in the NHL. With a higher-end, high expectations type roster. 

So no. 

It’s not even a talking point.

• Bullseye 1

Folks are going to be voting for a mentally declining 82 year old presidential candidate in 2024. Maybe Messier at 63 to start coaching a game at a lower level isn’t that bad. With some success, he’d be ready for a shot in the NHL by 66-67.

There’s been no indications he wants to coach from what I’ve seen though.

• LOL 1
  • The Chyt! 1

24 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

roy GIF

18 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Yep. Fuck all this noise. Give me Patrick motherrfucking Roy.

It’s really odd how Roy has picked up steam all of a sudden amongst fans, but he is really primed for another NHL shot. I actually like the idea a lot too. Big time risk/reward. The type who could be an alltime great behind the bench, or an absolute trainwreck. I’m here for it.

So we know that Chris Drury has spoken to Peter Laviolette, Spencer Carbery, Jay Leach, Mike Babcock and either interviewed John Hynes within the last 24 hours or will do so shortly as the Rangers’ president-GM conducts this coaching search that is its fourth week. Kris Knoblauch might have been invited in for a conversation.

But, The Post has learned on good authority, Drury has not spoken to Patrick Roy, who has coached his QMJHL champion Quebec Remparts to Sunday’s final of the Memorial Cup against either Kamloops, Peterborough or Seattle.

Perhaps Drury is waiting for the conclusion of that tournament to schedule an interview with Roy, his teammate in Colorado for four years that included the 2001 Stanley Cup championship.

That would be the only logical explanation for why the Blueshirts have not yet reached out to Roy after dog-paddling for weeks in this shallow pool of candidates.

The Rangers are in need of a coach who will instill structure to the group while being able to maximize the team’s offensive creativity. Roy has brought structure to the Remparts.

The Rangers are in need of a coach who will make it his business to get the most out of their kids, and that starts with Alexis Lafreniere. Roy has been coaching teenagers for last the last five years and 13 years overall in two separate stints with Quebec in which he has also been GM.

And the button-down, business-like Rangers are also in need of a coach with motivational skills and passion. They lacked a forecheck, they lacked a way to break out against the Devils, but equally as important, they lacked a pulse. They flatlined in Games 4, 5 and 7.

Mika Zibanejad is quiet. So is Adam Fox. Artemi Panarin is quiet. Chris Kreider is introspective. Jacob Trouba’s helmet toss was an exception. There is little rah-rah in the room. There is no one to emotionally take charge. That doesn’t make them bad people, bad players or bad leaders but that is not in their nature. It was not in Gallant’s nature, either.

It is, however, in the nature of Patrick Roy.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/01/patrick-roy-is-exactly-what-the-rangers-need/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost_sitebuttons

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s really odd how Roy has picked up steam all of a sudden amongst fans, but he is really primed for another NHL shot. I actually like the idea a lot too. Big time risk/reward. The type who could be an alltime great behind the bench, or an absolute trainwreck. I’m here for it.

I'll take the chance he's an all-time great or a complete trainwreck over the certainty that we'll get bounced in the first 10 games with the very boring retread options.

That's kind of the thing here. There's no great hire here, so you're either hiring good and expecting great - guaranteeing disappointment - or hiring the mystery box and knowing it can go either completely tits up or to the moon. At least this way, disappointment becomes a reason to sell off core pieces and retool instead of thinking "man, if that bounce in game 6 just went the other way...let's just run the whole thing back"

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

No idea if Quinn or Gallant made a mess themselves or they could not get thru the rock hard skulls of the 2 highest-paid players here. Operationally though we all saw it. Now in fairness these are 2 tremendously talent offensive players. And if you dumped either you would miss them ,  especially in the 82 game regular season. Is it that they're  assholes who don't listen when it matters or coaches cannot get thru that they way they're doing things in April and May is flawed and counterproductive? Quinn often said the right things. Gallant with his "talent isn't everything" swan song hinted at this issue. 

Think we can say is MSG pays very well, treats the players very well  and lends itself to a very comfortable culture . A coach that screams 24/7 is gonna get tuned out very quickly. But there needs to be some piss and vinegar here. John Hynes? No. 

Well we can't have some people saying that Mika looks like he's going to off himself after a loss because he's mentally weak, but also a comfortable entitled athlete who does as he pleases. Those are diametrically opposed. So which is it?

Also I think people project their behaviors on to others. Athletes that make it to this level in the NHL are often the most competitive people, losing doesn't sit well no matter what they make. Maybe you or I would sit back and chill making $8M a year, but that doesn't mean they do.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I'll take the chance he's an all-time great or a complete trainwreck over the certainty that we'll get bounced in the first 10 games with the very boring retread options.

This pretty well distills it.  Besides, I love the pressers with frog coaches (AV, Lemaire, Bergeron etc.).

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

That's kind of the thing here. There's no great hire here, so you're either hiring good and expecting great - guaranteeing disappointment - or hiring the mystery box and knowing it can go either completely tits up or to the moon. At least this way, disappointment becomes a reason to sell off core pieces and retool instead of thinking "man, if that bounce in game 6 just went the other way...let's just run the whole thing back"

This is complete conjecture. How is this certainty? Here's the bottom line, no one knows what's going to happen with a new coach. No one. How we're claiming this is fact is beyond me.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

This is complete conjecture. How is this certainty? Here's the bottom line, no one knows what's going to happen with a new coach. No one. How we're claiming this is fact is beyond me.

Of course it is, but in the NHL - and especially when it comes to coaching - past success or lack thereof does tend to indicate future outcomes, because these guys don't change. And you know that too - you called that shit from the jump with Gallant - that he wears down fast and he wouldn't be our coach for long - before we fucking hired the guy and this whole board was jumping up and down to bring in a winner!

These cats don't change their stripes; we have the books on these two, and they're not really interesting reads. Laviolette rides hot goalies and a defense-first system to protect the goalie. We know. Hynes is the king of "get the wildcard and lose" - it's literally what he does. And I'll own that at least one of those seasons...it's not his fault Juuse Saros played in 70 games and had to be the father, the son, and the holy ghost to the point that he got hurt a day before the playoffs began, right? 

I don't think either of these guys is Jon Cooper, or Bruce Cassidy, or Mike Sullivan - where they have clearly persevered through some significant roster changes and had to adjust to be successful. Hell, they're not even Paul Maurice, who just outright said he's the problem in the room, did some soul-searching, and he's in the finals now too (riding a hot goalie, no less, because goalies make mid coaches look like good ones). No, these guys get fired when they need to adjust. They're not special. These guys come with ceilings.

11 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Of course it is, but in the NHL - and especially when it comes to coaching - past success or lack thereof does tend to indicate future outcomes, because these guys don't change. And you know that too - you called that shit from the jump with Gallant - that he wears down fast and he wouldn't be our coach for long - before we fucking hired the guy and this whole board was jumping up and down to bring in a winner!

These cats don't change their stripes; we have the books on these two, and they're not really interesting reads. Laviolette rides hot goalies and a defense-first system to protect the goalie. We know. Hynes is the king of "get the wildcard and lose" - it's literally what he does. And I'll own that at least one of those seasons...it's not his fault Juuse Saros played in 70 games and had to be the father, the son, and the holy ghost to the point that he got hurt a day before the playoffs began, right? 

I don't think either of these guys is Jon Cooper, or Bruce Cassidy, or Mike Sullivan - where they have clearly persevered through some significant roster changes and had to adjust to be successful. Hell, they're not even Paul Maurice, who just outright said he's the problem in the room, did some soul-searching, and he's in the finals now too (riding a hot goalie, no less, because goalies make mid coaches look like good ones). No, these guys get fired when they need to adjust. They're not special. These guys come with ceilings.

That's all well and good but you're using that take to determine a very specific outcome, and that's a really far bridge to build.

On the other hand, some coach's message resonates better with specific players, so you don't know what can happen.

I also wouldn't say that coaches don't change. Torts went from "safe is death" to "if you don't block that shot, I'll kill you". They might not change as people, but I'm sure they adjust their tactics and systems to react to where the league is going. One team decided that a drop pass or backwards pass on the PP was the best way to gain the zone and now 32 teams use that tactic on the PP. Change is possible.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Well we can't have some people saying that Mika looks like he's going to off himself after a loss because he's mentally weak, but also a comfortable entitled athlete who does as he pleases. Those are diametrically opposed. So which is it?

Also I think people project their behaviors on to others. Athletes that make it to this level in the NHL are often the most competitive people, losing doesn't sit well no matter what they make. Maybe you or I would sit back and chill making $8M a year, but that doesn't mean they do.

Neither of us nor anyone here (far as we know) was in the locker room. Think there is something to getting very comfortable when you've been the top well-paid dogs with a franchise for a while. Sure they want to win, but people fall into patterns of behaviors. And some days you fall back on that, the path of least resistance. That's probably true of you, or your mailman or the highest paid right wing in the NHL. Not even saying it's mailing it in, because most of us get by a good chunk of the time doing that. But in the time-limited career of a pro athlete, it isn't necessarily good. 

What we can observe is Panarin and Zib-very offensively talented players-did not have much success vs. the Devils. Zib was okay during last year's playoffs, Panarin a mixed bag.  And many of the things they do-Zib taking the PP one timer from the left circle, Panarin fiddling about at the blue line, pulling up, both overpassing-did not change at all. Now is that the player ignoring the coach or the coach throwing his hands up or letting them do what ever they want? 

This will be the 3rd coach, who ever it is, with this core group. We can hope said new coach gets thru to them. If not, well, then may be it will be time to change the players. As hard as that might be with big ass contracts and NMCs. And admittedly if they were to dump either Panarin or Zib, you'd be doing so knowing you probably will lose the trade, eat contract space and miss their regular season production terribly.