• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

There are plenty who don’t want him, think he’s washed up, and basically disrespecting him.

I don't know about "plenty", but there's a fair point to be made of we're going with "regular season hockey" for Vesey but not for Kane.

There's a legit case that he still doesn't solve getting pucks to the middle of the ice in the playoffs.

I don't think that's a reason NOT to make the move, but also don't think it makes the Rangers automatic Cup winners... Or even favorites to be honest. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

There are plenty who don’t want him, think he’s washed up, and basically disrespecting him.

Up until this week, he had 9 goals and 25 assists in 50 games. And all indications were he had a bad hip that needs some sort of surgery. There was plenty evidence to doubt if he could perform in the playoffs. 

Now he's on a heater. That's great. His hip is still an issue, though we're not sure to what extent. So I wouldn't disparage anyone who isn't sure about Kane.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know about "plenty", but there's a fair point to be made of we're going with "regular season hockey" for Vesey but not for Kane.

There's a legit case that he still doesn't solve getting pucks to the middle of the ice in the playoffs.

I don't think that's a reason NOT to make the move, but also don't think it makes the Rangers automatic Cup winners... Or even favorites to be honest. 

I don't think they'll ever be favorites with this coach, but they might go from top 7 to top 3 in terms of best chances.

• Cheers 1
  • Believe 1

He's been on a great run lately. The timing has been perfect. lol I still don't think he winds up here, even though I think they could make it work. Defense might be a bigger priority for Drury at the deadline and hopefully Igor can shake this off and get on a roll. I'm very intrigued with this trade deadline though.

10 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Up until this week, he had 9 goals and 25 assists in 50 games. And all indications were he had a bad hip that needs some sort of surgery. There was plenty evidence to doubt if he could perform in the playoffs. 

Now he's on a heater. That's great. His hip is still an issue, though we're not sure to what extent. So I wouldn't disparage anyone who isn't sure about Kane.

I wasn't disparaging anyone. Those absolute idiots.

• Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

He's angry. He thinks he coasted and convinced us not to bite and now he's trying to show he can still do it.

Dude's just dangling the worm out there waiting for Drury to bite.

• Believe 1

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

You’re right, they’re already favorites.

Boston is the team to beat. Adding a scoring winger isn't going to help playing against their tough as nails team that plays HARD hockey. You can add all the Panarins and Kane's you want to but at the end of the day, of they don't get the looks then it won't matter. Not sure how we will match up with Boston but I know they are obviously the barometer for all teams in the east this year.

20 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Boston is the team to beat. Adding a scoring winger isn't going to help playing against their tough as nails team that plays HARD hockey. You can add all the Panarins and Kane's you want to but at the end of the day, of they don't get the looks then it won't matter. Not sure how we will match up with Boston but I know they are obviously the barometer for all teams in the east this year.

I think hard hockey has different interpretations, but I don't think the Rangers are behind in this aspect (whether it's meant by physical hockey, hard to play against by putting pressure on puck carriers, etc). They are behind in structured hockey because of the coach, which will naturally make it tougher to win, but not impossible.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Believe 1

Pretty interesting chart here: https://theathletic.com/4227673/2023/02/21/nhl-trade-market-bank-teams/

contracts-1.png

Kane's cash retained at 25% is  $164,594 since his actual salary this year was only $6.9M, and $4M of that was paid out as a signing bonus. That means his daily cash paid out over the season is based off a $2.9M salary. Per day cash paid out is $2.9M / 185 days in NHL season * 42 days left in season after deadline = $658,378 left to be paid out. 25% of that is $164,594.

This is happening, and it won't cost nearly as much as anticipated in compensation. He's right in line with these 4th-6th round compensations.

• Believe 1

It’s hoped that Kane will decide if he’s willing to waive his no-trade clause by week’s end, but there’s no guarantee. If Kane does say yes to exploring the trade market, my understanding is that he and agent Pat Brisson will come up with his top destination and bring it to the Blackhawks for them to explore. So we’re talking about one team here. Not a list of teams. — LeBrun, Feb. 21

https://theathletic.com/4178686/2023/02/22/nhl-trade-board-timo-meier-patrick-kane/

As long as the Rangers are interested in Kane, they're that one team.

• Believe 1

3 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I wouldn't either, but the risks are mitigated because they also got Tarasenko. Speaking only for myself, the idea of Kane being the primary target was my issue, not the idea of adding him at all.

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

https://theathletic.com/4178686/2023/02/22/nhl-trade-board-timo-meier-patrick-kane/

As long as the Rangers are interested in Kane, they're that one team.

Which we know they are, because Brooks confirmed it.

So, this is now entirely on Kane to formally decide that yes, he wants to be traded to the Rangers, which I think we can presume is also true.

This is just a giant waiting game based on cap numbers. At this point, I'd be shocked if they didn't get him. It feels like a matter of when, not if.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

So, this is now entirely on Kane to formally decide that yes, he wants to be traded to the Rangers, which I think we can presume is also true.

This is just a giant waiting game based on cap numbers. At this point, I'd be shocked if they didn't get him. It feels like a matter of when, not if.

Emily Kaplan just reported yesterday that he asked Blackhawks management if a trade to NYR is still on the table 

3 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

Emily Kaplan just reported yesterday that he asked Blackhawks management if a trade to NYR is still on the table 

Right. Between that and the Brooks confirmation article, it's no stretch to suggest both parties want this to happen.

• Believe 1

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm in this school of thought right now.  Between Larry Brooks, and most notably Valliquette's posts, this is going to happen...it's just when, like the boss said.

I'm saying he'll be in uniform against the Flyers next Wednesday....March 1st.

• Believe 1

3 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

This. Plus let’s not just forget his whole year rather than his most recent week. He had 3 different extended goalless streaks. One for 10 games, another for 8 games, and another for 7 games. I’m less concerned with that because it’s Kane but that doesn’t mean you ignore it and his injury. 

We don’t need him but that doesn’t mean he won’t help. As long as the price isn’t astronomical, I’m fine with bringing him here. 

• Believe 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right. Between that and the Brooks confirmation article, it's no stretch to suggest both parties want this to happen.

Exactly. Well, two of the three (four) parties.

Kane ✅

Rangers ✅

Hawks ❓ (cost, intent)

Third party ❓ (cost for retention)

Edited by torontonyr
  • Believe 1