• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

If the Rangers could somehow make the cap numbers work for next year, perhaps by bringing a third team (Arizona) into it, would you do whatever it takes to acquire Patrick Kane from the Blackhawks before the still-distant March 21 trade deadline?

Would you get Kane if it cost you Kaapo Kakko (but not Alexis Lafreniere), Nils Lundqvist (or Zac Jones or Matthew Robertson but not Braden Schneider), Vitali Kravtsov (but not Will Cuylle or Brennan Othmann) and a 2022 first-rounder?

Would you go for it if you were general manager Chris Drury, knowing that acquiring Kane would give the Rangers a Super Line with one-time running mate and old BFF Artemi Panarin on the left and No. 10’s new BFF Ryan Strome in the middle?

The Rangers really are on a bifurcated timetable here. They’re young in a lot of important places, beginning with Kakko, Lafreniere, Lundkvist, Adam Fox, K’Andre Miller and Filip Chytil. They’ve got prospects in the system such as Schneider, Cuylle, Othmann, Jones and Brett Berard that might be ready to made a significant impact by the middle of the decade. And they have a couple of top-end middle-ish 20s in Strome and Igor Shesterkin.

So this is not a case where the window, barely if fleetingly opened, is about to close and Drury would be obligated to make this kind of a deal. But there is this: when the kids are coming close to reaching their most productive days, where will Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider and Trouba be on the curve? When do the X and Y axis on the Blueprint intersect?

https://nypost.com/2021/12/08/would-you-trade-for-patrick-kane-if-you-were-the-rangers/

• Applause 1

I like a lot of the points Brooks brought up here, and simply put, they needed to be faced. Whether it’s now or later, they are questions that need to be answered.

Obviously, it would have been wonderful if the likes of Lafreniere and Kakko came in firing on all cylinders and lit the league on fire. Having them rolling while our “elder statesmen” like Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider and others are at the height of their powers would be ideal. But, while there are improvements in their game, it looks like their best is still yet to come (I still believe it will come for both) but by that time, what happens if it’s when the older guys begin a slower decline?

It’s a delicate spot. Would I deal Kakko in this deal? Absolutely not. Would I deal Lafreniere? Again, absolutely not.

But if you can get a team (maybe even Chicago themselves) to eat 50% of that salary while also giving them some help to rebuild their farm system, which we can do without absolutely emptying the barrel here, then yes, I would be interested.

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I like a lot of the points Brooks brought up here, and simply put, they needed to be faced. Whether it’s now or later, they are questions that need to be answered.

Obviously, it would have been wonderful if the likes of Lafreniere and Kakko came in firing on all cylinders and lit the league on fire. Having them rolling while our “elder statesmen” like Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider and others are at the height of their powers would be ideal. But, while there are improvements in their game, it looks like their best is still yet to come (I still believe it will come for both) but by that time, what happens if it’s when the older guys begin a slower decline?

It’s a delicate spot. Would I deal Kakko in this deal? Absolutely not. Would I deal Lafreniere? Again, absolutely not.

But if you can get a team (maybe even Chicago themselves) to eat 50% of that salary while also giving them some help to rebuild their farm system, which we can do without absolutely emptying the barrel here, then yes, I would be interested.

Lafreniere, Kakko, Shesterkin, Fox, Lindgren, Chytil, Morgan, Miller, Lundkvist, Gauthier, Hajek.

Non-roster - Kravtsov, Schneider, Othmann, Cuylle, Robertson, Jones

Over half the team is 23 and under. With some BIG names here. You don't throw that away betting on Zibanejad and Kreider.

Kane no. JT Miller yes.

checks more boxes and costs less or the same if u get retention.

Miller basically would perform as a very skilled Hunt here that can also take faceoffs.  In fact, if you bring in Miller, I think you sneakily go from a very good team to a “holy shit, this team has a real chance.”

Dont get me wrong Kane is awesome. We have such a good thing going though, we need a guy that besides skill also fits a need more than we need just pure skill. 

Edited by Keirik
Added more
  • Keeps it 100 1

I just get the feel that with this group of Ranger prospects, we have more jewels than we did back in the days of day, 2010 or so, when we knew we needed upgrades because we didn’t want to waste Henrik in his prime and there was always rumors of us being involved for this star or that star. Back then, it involved moving a Dubinsky or Callahan, a MDZ, etc. They were heart guys, but not franchise changing pieces. They were solid pieces.

Here, we need to tread a little carefully. And be very careful of who we ultimately do deal and for whom we deal for; because there are far more potential game changers in our system now than at any point in recent memory. At some point, just based off of room on the roster, you have to imagine some of them will be packaged to bring in help. It’s a numbers game. There isn’t enough room for every prospect we have to make their way here with the playing time they need.

Is Kane the one you want to bring in to make that push? He has the experience and is always freakishly good in big spots. He makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways. Just depends on what the cost of acquisition is. If it comes up, and I’m Drury, I take Lafreniere and Kakko out of all talks. And tell Chicago that there are plenty of other very nice pieces to look at. 

That doesn’t go just for Chicago and Kane, but for any other team we engage with. I’m sure there will be plenty of chatter about us if we continue this pace as the deadline approaches and we look to bolster the roster for a potential run.

Edited by RichieNextel305

5 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Kane no. JT Miller yes.

checks more boxes and costs less or the same if u get retention.

Miller basically would perform as a very skilled Hunt here that can also take faceoffs.  In fact, if you bring in Miller, I think you sneakily go from a very good team to a “holy shit, this team has a real chance.”

Dont get me wrong Kane is awesome. We have such a good thing going though, we need a guy that besides skill also fits a need more than we need just pure skill. 

Agree 100%...oh wait...there's a button for that now!!!

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

As with any trade it all depends on what Kane would cost and how it affects the cap.

If it's for a package like Jones, Chytil, Kravtsov & a pick  I would do it.

That’s a hell of a lot to give up for a guy that is amazing but less of a need than a complimentary player. You could probably take one piece out and get Miller possibly with some retention. 

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Would this be of any interest?

Chytil, Kravtsov, Jones, Othmann and a 1st for Kane (50% retained) and Dylan Strome?

Even at 50% we probably aren’t fitting Stromes brother after this year since he’s up for a new rfa deal with arb rights. 
Kane at 5.25m + Ryan if he re- ups at 5-6m + Dylan at even 3.5m already puts us in cap hell with a goalie to find this offseason, Kakko, several role players, etc. 

12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

That’s a hell of a lot to give up for a guy that is amazing but less of a need than a complimentary player. You could probably take one piece out and get Miller possibly with some retention. 

Miller is a better fit than Kane is, but if I can get a wing to play with Zibs for Jones (probably never playing here), Chytil (crap), Kravtsov (never playing here) I would definitely look into it.

The problem of course is how it cripples the Rangers against the cap.

The team's good. It's built for what looks like sustained success with players who are only going to get better. I'm not selling kids for Patrick Kane or any other vet for that matter. 

I think there's an argument to be made for a rental but again Kakko and Lafreniere aren't going anywhere for a rental. 

So do I want Kane? No. We're one of the best teams in the league without him. I'm not interesting in shipping roster players. A better fit can be had for less.

• Like 1

I like the JT Miller option, boss.  I think less is more with this team.  We'd need 3 pucks on the ice if we had Panarin, Kane, Toews and Zibby!!  LOL

I say we land JT Miller with some sort of package with Chytil/Georgiev and some pick/prospect, and possibly even grab Halak.  But some sort of veteran backup with solid playoff experience along with JT.

I'd carry that over moving forward for the next season too if possible.  JT has one more year left, I think.

Edited by Ozzy

23 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The last time the Rangers won the cup they made several trades where they traded youth for experience.

Is the real question would you trade youth to win 1 cup or hope that youth develops to win more than 1 cup?

Well, you can’t forget that the current core hasn’t even made the playoffs, ever. 

Not trading all that for Kane. Salary retained or not. He's a great player, but the cost is just too much. I'm all for adding a vet. I'm all for adding a scoring winger. I'm not unloading the cupboard for said player. 

I'd trade them Kravstov and a couple filler prospects along with Georgiev and a couple 2nds. Kane is/was good. Currently he's not "your 3 top prospects and a 1st" good. Neither is Miller. 

Edited by The Dude