• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

Arizona would probably salivate at absorbing a large chunk of Patrick Kane's cap hit. The salary (6.9M) is much lower than the hit (10.5M).

To Chicago

Filip Chytil

Nils Lundkvist

Julien Gauthier

NYR 1st

STL 2nd

To Arizona

Libor Hajek

'23 NYR 2nd

To NYR

Patrick Kane (2.625M cap hit, 75% retainment by Arizona/Chicago)

Calvin de Haan

Solves top 6 RW scoring need this year and next as well as a good rental depth option down the left side on defense. Don't think anyone here trusts Nemeth (as more than a 7), and I don't think Gallant trusts Jones now nor would he in the playoffs (especially with another rookie in Schneider already).

Figure out 3C in another trade. Still have plenty of good ammo...NYR 2nd, Zac Jones, Kravtsov, Robertson, etc. I'll use Copp as the 3C example (say cost is a 2nd and Zac Jones).

Kreider-Zib-Laf

Bread-Strome-Kane

Goodrow-Copp-Kakko

Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

Blais in for Hunt if he actually comes back in time for the playoffs.

Lind-Fox

KAM-Trouba

De Haan - Schneider

Tell me we wouldn't have as good a chance as anyone else.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 2

42 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

There’s an absolute zero chance you acquire Kane at 25% as well as De Haan for the Rangers scraps. Most of those guys couldn’t get Eichel. In what world are they getting a retained Kane plus? 

Agree. It would start with Kakko, and then probably one of Othmann or Cullye and one of Jones or Lundkvist plus picks. 

• TroCheckmark 1

I’d put the chances of a Kane trade at like 0.0000000001%. It’s a nice fantasy, because I think most hockey fans love Kane and his highlight reel-esque plays. But, I just don’t see it being very feasible; especially by the deadline. And those odds I gave, I think, are optimistic odds at best. I just don’t see this as something that’s going to materialize. At best, it’s something to discuss in the off-season. But even then, there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’d put the chances of a Kane trade at like 0.0000000001%. It’s a nice fantasy, because I think most hockey fans love Kane and his highlight reel-esque plays. But, I just don’t see it being very feasible; especially by the deadline. And those odds I gave, I think, are optimistic odds at best. I just don’t see this as something that’s going to materialize. At best, it’s something to discuss in the off-season. But even then, there are a lot of hoops to jump through.

Agree, also important to remember that this wasn't a hot stove segment.  Not like Friedman or Dreger.

Don't think it's even really being thought about outside creating buzz reasons. 

I don't think Kane is really feasible.  I love the guy, and I think he's fabulous, but there's a couple of things that don't fit for me with Kane and the Rangers:

We'd have to give up a metric ass load for him, and Chicago isn't taking Chytil and the rest of our dog shit for Kane...No way!

We need at least 2 bottom 6 players for a 3rd line, not to mention a 3rd line center, which that hole has been open all year.

We need a back up goalie that is a "Back up goalie", not a guy that can only thrive playing starters minutes as a back up.

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

There’s an absolute zero chance you acquire Kane at 25% as well as De Haan for the Rangers scraps. Most of those guys couldn’t get Eichel. In what world are they getting a retained Kane plus? 

Since when are Chytil/Lundkvist/1st scraps? Even by this board’s silly hatred of Chytil, he’s 2nd round pick value. That’s 2 1sts and 2 2nds to Chicago. That’s ballpark what was given for Martin St. Louis. It’s ballpark what was given for Ryan McDonagh and JT Miller. I’ll grant you Gauthier and Hajek as scraps, but those kinds of guys are frequently included in these deals. It doesn’t change the equation and isn’t meant to.

Eichel was a completely different situation. Do you have proof the Rangers had an offer like this on the table for Buffalo? Do you have proof they were ever really even seriously interested given the cap implications, and the likely loss of Zibanejad as a result? Do you also have proof that Buffalo had any intention of trading him within state regardless of any offer?

I think most importantly here is Kane has an NMC. He is in control. If he says NY only if a trade is to be made, Chicago loses a lot of leverage and the price goes down, or they just keep him. Hard to see them keeping him when they just said they were going to rebuild…and nobody, absolutely nobody, is taking Kane without heavy retention or a cap dump going the other way. Chicago should be expecting to retain by default.

I’m not saying it’s impossible. I’m saying, for now, it’s improbable.

For starters, I think the Blackhawks respect Patrick Kane for everything he has done for the organization. The front office has already discussed the direction of the franchise with key veteran members like Kane, Toews, Jones and Fleury. Kane has a year left on his deal. He has a NMC. I think the organization respects him enough that come summer time, they will see where he stands. If, a giant if, he asks to be moved, I do believe they’ll grant him his wish and try and get him where he would like to be. But, the man has 3 Cups. He’s 33. He may feel one of 2 ways: either he would like to finish up there, or he’d tell the organization: “You're going in one direction, I’m going in another. As opposed to losing me for free in UFA next summer, try and deal me now so you can recoup assets to help your rebuild.” At some point, this conversation will no doubt take place. Which way Kane leans is anyone’s guess.

If it goes the way of Option B, then yes, I’m sure many teams would call to investigate the cost. But, similar to MSL, he holds all the cards. He could, in theory, force his way here or anywhere he so chooses. But again, that’s so far down the line. And even then, a package would need to be formulated, retention from not 1, but 2 organizations would be needed. I mean, that is an awful lot just thrown into a few sentences. And it’s a delicate situation because of what he means to that elite Original Six franchise.

Like Pete said, this wasn’t reported anywhere; it was more of a thought bubble. Have I seen and heard from the reputable guys on TSN that teams have called to check the temperature on what the ‘Hawks may do with Kane? Sure. But again, so, so much has to happen between now and then. Lots of thought and lots of questions need to be answered. At the very best, I’d say this is more a conversation for the summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

He makes 10.5 mil. Even if the Hawks retain half the salary, which doesn't happen often, it still creates a problem for next year and beyond. 

Double retention. It's the only way.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, josh said:

Yes!!!  A big, physical center that wins faceoffs and plays great defensive hockey that’s just entering his prime years on a cheap deal that’s easy to fit under the cap next season. 

But he's nnnn, ahhh ya got me. 

12 hours ago, Long live the King said:

The Cat (with retention) and Fleury for Geo, Chytil, Lundkvist, Krav, Robertson, 2 1st's, and a 3rd.

Your center depth for the next few seasons is:

Zibanejad

that’s it. That’s the list.