• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Lets see if we get some news…

Using the CF trade machine, with both Kravtsov and Leschychyn off the roster, there isn't enough cap space for Kane until Feb 28. I mean I guess they could get creative by completing the deal in pieces. Like trade part 1 is now, Krav and Leschychyn for a 4th from Chicago. As soon as enough cap clears, a 4th goes to 3rd team for retention, a 2nd goes to Blackhawks for Kane. I've never seen something like that done before though.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Just think. Had they waived  Hajek 2-3 months ago instead of sitting on him, they'd probably have plenty of space. Didn't need to pick Leschyshyn off waivers either.  

We can blame Gallants inability to use Goodrow as the 4C, which coincides with his unwillingness to play Kravtsov as part of the reasons why they didn't accrue enough space.  Then again who thought they'd be in position to get both? 

I'll take Domi now thanks. Blackwell too. 

If they didn't downgrade from Gauthier to Motte, to pay Motte almost twice as much, they might already have enough also.

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Using the CF trade machine, with both Kravtsov and Leschychyn off the roster, there isn't enough cap space for Kane until Feb 28. I mean I guess they could get creative by completing the deal in pieces. Like trade part 1 is now, Krav and Leschychyn for a 4th from Chicago. As soon as enough cap clears, a 4th goes to 3rd team for retention, a 2nd goes to Blackhawks for Kane. I've never seen something like that done before though.

That's what I thought 

25 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I would imagine that move is coming today. On top of what Dreger just tweeted, it points directly to this whole transaction.

What Dreger just tweeted is not new news. What did he say that we didn't already know? 

A league source said the Rangers were searching Thursday night for a third team to pick up 25 percent of Kane’s $10.5-million cap hit, but that shouldn’t be an issue. The Wild did that in the Caps-Bruins trade, getting a 2025 fifth-rounder to retain some space; the Ducks, Canucks, Canadiens and Coyotes are all teams out of the playoff picture who could take a late-round pick to eat a quarter of Kane’s cap hit. So that’s another necessary step.

The final step is the cost to the Hawks. League sources have said Chicago would likely not make the deal if it’s not for a first-round pick or at least a second-rounder that could turn into a first if the Rangers make the conference final and Kane plays at least half of the playoff games, a similar deal to what Drury gave up to the Jets for Andrew Copp last year — the same Copp who had one of his better games of the season for the Wings on Thursday.

If it’s a conditional 2024 second-round pick and Kravtsov for Kane and the Hawks retain 50 percent of the cap hit, that should do it. Plus a 2024 fifth to the third team that retains half of the remaining half of Kane’s cap hit. If Kravtsov is waived on Friday and gets claimed, then another young player steps in — Zac Jones is likely more than Drury wants to part with, but he could be the only other prospect the Hawks want.

There’s also the roster tap dance that will result from this trade. The Rangers will already have to play with 11 forwards until they can make the trade in a week. They have four games before then, two sets of back-to-backs. Tyler Motte briefly left Thursday’s game after taking a puck near the throat, so any injuries to forwards could genuinely scuttle a potential Kane trade since the Rangers would need to carry just 21 players after Kane arrives.

But it’s clear that Drury has decided — certainly with the eager support of Rangers owner James Dolan — that Kane can fit on the roster and is what the team needs. And Kane, who a friend said recently has been eyeing the Rangers ever since his old linemate Artemi Panarin came to town, clearly has decided the Rangers are what he needs after a Hall-of-Fame run in Chicago.

It’s not done. But the wheels are very much in motion, starting with roster management.

https://theathletic.com/4246927/2023/02/23/rangers-lost-trade-deadline-roster-management/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

• Thanks 1
  • Believe 1

34 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah I don't get it. Sitting them does nothing. Pointless. Have to get them off the cap.

It's not pointless. If either gets injured it basically fractures the entire trade sequence. Staple breaks it down in my last post above.

I get frustrated with Miller too, fellas....but I wanna stay patient with him.  Defenseman take longer to develop, and he's really still just a child out there.  He has awesome athleticism, and he's a fabulous skater.  He's not as physical as I'd like him to be, but there's no doubt this guy is going to be a pretty damn good player; way better than what we see now.

He's going to make mistakes

They're going to be painful at times....like last night

BUT....he's going to be one of the cogs in the wheel that eventually land us a Cup!  I believe that.

I also believe in Santa Claus....but that's a story for another day!!!  LOL

Nah....I'm kidding....I like K' and I think he's going to be a solid player for us for many years...I say let him grow up and learn.  He will!

• Like 2