• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

I watched that Hawks/Stars game last night, and I gotta admit, Kane looked like man with something to play for!!  After the Hawks went down 3-0, Kane and Domi, pretty much smoked Dallas!

If he's got a hip injury, I want one too!  ....Fucking guy was flying last night out there.

• LMFAO 1

31 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I watched that Hawks/Stars game last night, and I gotta admit, Kane looked like man with something to play for!!  After the Hawks went down 3-0, Kane and Domi, pretty much smoked Dallas!

If he's got a hip injury, I want one too!  ....Fucking guy was flying last night out there.

He's looked possessed recently.

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, torontonyr said:

Exactly. Well, two of the three (four) parties.

Kane ✅

Rangers ✅

Hawks ❓ (cost, intent)

Third party ❓ (cost for retention)

Yeah, and even on this, I feel like those last two are pretty close to checks. I think LeBrun, maybe, was just talking about how the Hawks will "do right by Kane," so that kinda checks off the "Hawks" box for me.

• Believe 1

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah, and even on this, I feel like those last two are pretty close to checks. I think LeBrun, maybe, was just talking about how the Hawks will "do right by Kane," so that kinda checks off the "Hawks" box for me.

And to be honest, knowing the need for a 3rd team to be involved, I’d assume that Drury has already done his homework on that too. It’s no secret what’s going on here, and it may just be timing that is holding up the transaction. I’m sure by now though, if all of these reports are true, that Drury has at the very least checked in on potential 3rd parties to ask them what the cost would be to retain a portion of salary in the event a deal is made.

• Believe 1

17 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And to be honest, knowing the need for a 3rd team to be involved, I’d assume that Drury has already done his homework on that too. It’s no secret what’s going on here, and it may just be timing that is holding up the transaction. I’m sure by now though, if all of these reports are true, that Drury has at the very least checked in on potential 3rd parties to ask them what the cost would be to retain a portion of salary in the event a deal is made.

Yup. It's conjecture, but I don't think Friedman's note about Montreal from the lastest 32 Thoughts blog is coincidence. If this happens, it's them or Arizona, IMO. Perhaps more likely Montreal at this rate given the trade with Vegas for Weber's contract?

With Gorton as GM there, it actually makes lots of sense, especially if JG is still interested in some of the players he drafted/developed.

Just now, Phil said:

Yup. It's conjecture, but I don't think Friedman's note about Montreal from the lastest 32 Thoughts blog is coincidence. If this happens, it's them or Arizona, IMO. Perhaps more likely Montreal at this rate given the trade with Vegas for Weber's contract?

The Vegas/AZ Weber deal keeps the Yotes at the floor for cheap and likely won't impact whether or not they're willing to be a third party. It's going to be whoever gives him the best rate.

Vince's pod dropped this AM pointed up two issues, one related to timing. As I understand him, the Rangers have to dump both Kravtsov and Leshtijency by waiver, trade, or mob hit by this weekend (Saturday, I think) in order to be in position to accrue the $2.65m cap space by the deadline to make this happen. Therefore a deal can't happen until they actually accrue that cap space, unless they are both in the deal. So anybody holding their breath now is just gonna suffocate.

2nd, Drury would have zero cap flexibility for the rest of the season and would have no choice but to carry 21 players for the duration. I could possibly see CD as regarding this as GM malpractice that could leave his team in a very tough spot if there are injuries. To do this is to spin the wheel that any depth you have is a dance between injured reserve and Hartford. But we'll see how much of a gambler he is.

Please correct me if I have gotten any of these details wrong.

Edited by RodrigueGabriel

Yeah.. Goodrow centering that 3rd line is part of the allure for Kane..  That 4th line of BG centering VZ and Motte is enticing as hell. Not nearly as good as Lucuzyzsczyzsn centering VZ and Motte.. 

I think you are correct @RodrigueGabriel, this will require threading the needle as to not cripple roster management. 

Edited by Flynn

14 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Vince's pod dropped this AM pointed up two issues, one related to timing. As I understand him, the Rangers have to dump both Kravtsov and Leshtijency by waiver, trade, or mob hit by this weekend (Saturday, I think) in order to be in position to accrue the $2.65m cap space by the deadline to make this happen. Therefore a deal can't happen until they actually accrue that cap space, unless they are both in the deal. So anybody holding their breath now is just gonna suffocate.

2nd, Drury would have zero cap flexibility for the rest of the season and would have no choice but to carry 21 players for the duration. I could possibly see CD as regarding this as GM malpractice that could leave his team in a very tough spot if there are injuries. To do this is to spin the wheel that any depth you have is a dance between injured reserve and Hartford. But we'll see how much of a gambler he is.

My math the other day said Kravtsov needed to be dumped a few days before the deadline and Leschychyn could wait and be waived on deadline day when a trade is made. I didn't account for the reverse where Kravtsov is included in the trade and needs to be on the roster until deadline day. In that case, Leschychyn would need to be waived sooner than "a few days" before deadline day since he gets paid slightly less than Kravtsov. Waived by this weekend sounds accurate in that case. But if they waive Lesch, they can't replace him, which means Kravtsov is the 12th forward and is forced into the lineup until deadline day. Only way around that would be to waive Harpur to call up a 13th F instead to keep Krav benched, but he'd have to clear waivers and I doubt the Rangers want to risk losing someone they feel is an adequate 7D going into the playoffs.

2nd point is 100% true. 12 F, 7 D (Harpur extra), 2 G. No room for extras. If a forward were to get banged up and miss time, they'd have to get creative.

Edited by BrooksBurner

22 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Friedman noted on the Marek show today that they could be around $70K off the mark, and that any deal might still require "surgery," which brings me back around to the idea I was suggesting/talking about a day or two ago: including Goodrow in this deal (either to Chicago or the third club taking on the additional 25% of Kane's hit) and getting CHI to include Sam Lafferty in addition to Kane. Lafferty has one more year at $1.15M.

Just now, Phil said:

Friedman noted on the Marek show today that they could be around $70K off the mark, and that any deal might still require "surgery," which brings me back around to the idea I was suggesting/talking about a day or two ago: including Goodrow in this deal (either to Chicago or the third club taking on the additional 25% of Kane's hit) and getting CHI to include Sam Lafferty in addition to Kane. Lafferty has one more year at $1.15M.

Goodrow has a 15 team NTC which I doubt includes CHI.

Was just listening to Elliot Friedman. Clearly said Kane's recent performance isn't a coincidence and seemed to very lightly suggest that if Kane did need surgery he'd likely not be picking a team positioned got a deep playoff run that would delay it and his season next year.

Even if he decides to try and navigate all of that, the clock is ticking. Waiting until next week to get down to 21 players won’t suffice. Trading Kravtsov and waiving Leschyshyn near the deadline would leave the Rangers with about $2.55 million in cap space, which still isn’t enough to fit 25% of Kane’s cap hit. They’d need to cut bait with one of them ASAP to put themselves on pace to accrue the necessary $2.625 million.

Thursday's waiver wire came and went with no transactions from the Rangers. If no move is made before the end of this weekend, that will serve as a signal that a Kane trade is not happening.

In the meantime, I have serious doubts.

Everything I’ve been able to gather points to the rumors stemming from Kane’s side of things, not the Rangers. They’ve quietly gone about their business and executed their strategy to a tee so far. And if you follow the breadcrumbs, it’s quite clear that they budgeted all along to add one star RW, not two. They had opportunities to accrue additional cap space earlier this season and chose not to.

Could those plans change if Kane drops into their lap for a price they never imagined was possible? That type of intrigue is what makes this time of year so much fun. But at this late stage, the odds remain long.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/02/23/lots-of-smoke-surrounding-patrick-kane-and-rangers-but-is-there-fire/69936269007/

• Believe 1