• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Had 'Serious Interest' in Jake Guentzel; Headed to Carolina

2 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Does not mention NYR an hour ago. Interest fading?

I feel like they're just pointing to the idea that if he was coming to the Rangers it would have happened already. I can't see what more needs to be negotiated, it's not like the Rangers are ripe with middle round picks or top end prospects they are willing to part with. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I feel like they're just pointing to the idea that if he was coming to the Rangers it would have happened already. I can't see what more needs to be negotiated, it's not like the Rangers are ripe with middle round picks or top end prospects they are willing to part with. 

I think they're coping with the GMs basically moving the deadline back two days and staring down the Fyre Festival of Friday.

Either that, or offers are in and Dubas is trying to leverage everyone against each other.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yep. No disrespect to guys like Berard or Sykora but there is a steep drop to them from the likes of guys like Othmann or Perrault.

Pittsburgh was hoping to have a deal in place last night to allow themselves time to move out other parts. As others have said, and it’s not just the Rangers, but just about all of these teams seem to have pause at the idea of trading away what Pittsburgh is looking for for a pure rental. I’m sure someone is going to bite here soon, and I just hope it isn’t Carolina. He’d be a good fit there.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Buchnevich or Vatrano are better ideas due to the term if we have to give up so much to fill this glaring hole.

Othmann could have potentially solved this problem if they called him up in January to cut his teeth in this role for a few weeks. Worst case scenario he isn't able to step in and got sent back down but now we sit and contemplate mortgaging the future. I don't know how this shakes out but giving up firsts and high level prospects for rentals is dumb.

• Keeps it 100 1

I don't give a fuck that Drury will pay MUCH more than he got when he traded Buch away. Bring that man home. 

There is no better fit for the 1st line.

Bread and Igor are happy.

Make it happen. Figure out next years cap in July.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Flynn said:

I don't give a fuck that Drury will pay MUCH more than he got when he traded Buch away. Bring that man home. 

There is no better fit for the 1st line.

Bread and Igor are happy.

Make it happen. Figure out next years cap in July.

Buchnevich is the right fit, imo.

We need someone who plays RW. Check

We need someone who can play top 6 minutes. Check

Luxury item, but someone who can be defensively responsible and offensively threatening. Check

Again, luxury, but someone who can eat special teams minutes. Check

We need someone who can work with the Wonder Twins. That's a big check that nobody else on the market can tick off.

Get him back at 50%. Pay the first, send them Jones and McConnell-Barker or whatever, and make this happen.

• Applause 1

That feels....I don't know...duplicitous?

We've heard for weeks "No Kakko, No Othmann, No Perreault". Now - yeah, ok, Guentzel's the best on the market. I get that.

But then you look at Carolina. And Vegas. And Vancouver. And us. And the price is 1st+A level prospect? Carolina has one A-level prospect and they're not moving Nikishin for a rental. Vegas doesn't have a prospect. I'm reasonably sure they haven't made a draft pick in four years. Vancouver has no A-level prospects. 

That price is coming down, imo.

Just don't get why Reilly Smith isn't getting any chatter. Probably the cheapest to aquire. 

If Pitt is trading Guentzel,  they'd trade Smith. 

Start talking this up to give it legs. He's a good fit. Winner, 2 way forward. Signed for one more year. Can slot up and down the lineup.  

I doubt Buchnevich even gets dealt. That's some ploy to lower tge Guentzel cost for everyone. There's zero reason for them to trade that guy. 

Just now, The Dude said:

Just don't get why Reilly Smith isn't getting any chatter. Probably the cheapest to aquire. 

If Pitt is trading Guentzel,  they'd trade Smith. 

Start talking this up to give it legs. He's a good fit. Winner, 2 way forward. Signed for one more year. Can slot up and down the lineup.  

I doubt Buchnevich even gets dealt. That's some ploy to lower tge Guentzel cost for everyone. There's zero reason for them to trade that guy. 

Because he has another year at $5 million and is coming off a brutal year.

This is negotiation...why wouldn't Pittsburgh ask for the moon?  Doesn't mean the Rangers will pay it....

Deadlines make deals...often times, teams don't make their best (and final) offers until we get close to the actual deadline...

Would love to see Guetzel added, he's a pain in the butt to play against...I thought he was Pittsburgh's best player not named Sid in our series a few years ago...The guy can score and he knows how to win.  

The way I view what gets traded away in deadline deals are in a many ways shaded by the results.  For instance, I never thought the Rangers gave up "too much" in '94, even though they gave up (what turned out to be) good / great players.  They won the cup.  Nothing else matters.

I kind of feel same way this year...if they go on to win the cup, I don't care what they gave up.  Of course, no one can see into the future.  If they go out in Round 1, and end up giving up a young guy who goes on to be a star, it will sting.   

In general, I trust Drury to make the right move(s) here.  I think he probably has learned a thing or 2 from the past few trade deadlines, and all that experience should come into play.  

If you're going to break the bank to make a deal go down swinging with the best player you can possibly acquire if you do that.

That's not Jake Guentzel.  Go looking for a 24-26 year old guy with some term.  That's the only way a big deal makes sense here.

• Like 1

This is like a fucking emotional roller-coaster this week.

I actually don't even wanna look anymore....but my curiosity keeps me scouring this page!  I'm like a fucking addict!

"Hello, I'm Ozzy, and I have a problem!  I root for the Rangers!"