• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Had 'Serious Interest' in Jake Guentzel; Headed to Carolina

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Close to some clarity it appears.

Imagine being lusted after like Guentzel by the biggest powerhouses in your professional industry. Crazy. He must feel on top of the world.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Might as well have the teams switch names and jerseys too. New York Penguins 

New York Oilers- New York Rangers- New York Penguins!

What's in a name anyway.

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

I was listening. She basically said it as a guess, and said her reasoning was that they’ve been lurking on Guentzel for a little bit now.

FWIW, I also think he goes there too. 

But we will hopefully know soon enough.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I was listening. She basically said it as a guess, and said her reasoning was that they’ve been lurking on Guentzel for a little bit now.

FWIW, I also think he goes there too. 

But we will hopefully know soon enough.

God I hope not I hate Carolina 

• Bullseye 1

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Because he has another year at $5 million and is coming off a brutal year.

But his playoff pedigree is pretty good. 5 mill isn't much. Especially if you can get the player for nothing.  

If it came down to getting Vatrano for a 1st unretained  or getting Smith for a 2nd  unretained, I think the choice is Smith. 

He's not fitting in Pitt and I've read that he may not like being there. Maybe the price is even cheaper. They dump his 5 mill and they can resign Guentzel. They pretty much should give Smith away to do that. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Rangers have a two-year window with Panarin under contract. They're in total win-now mode in a wide-open Eastern conference and a starting goalie on an extremely team-friendly contract.

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bw2anynaj999w1niajh

My thinking is this. We spent so much time trying to say "multiple windows" and regardless of this year, we still have Kreider and Trouba both unlocking to a modified NTC this summer. I'm not saying i see them traded per say, but we aren't in a "win now or we are the Islanders in 2025" kind of situation. We can still win with talented rookies taking a bigger leap next year and can easily have a longer window with talent as opposed to rentals. 

Having said that, if Pitt walks away from their ask, go for it. I also am a big proponent of not directly helping the team in your own division by having your own drafted talent beat you for the next x years.  

With Guentzel going to Carolina and us still having a canyon sized hole on the Zibanejad line, I’m really beginning to have doubts we can go toe-to-toe and win this whole thing. We likely have to go through Carolina, perhaps Florida and then whoever comes out of the West. I’m just not sure we have the firepower to do that with this team assembled the way they are.

Guentzel going to Carolina is literally a Stage-5 emergency in my book. He fits that team to a T.

This is bad news for Drury. Because there really is no where else to turn beside possibly Anaheim, where you surely will get fleeced for Vatrano.

None of these teams have the cap space to get this guy. There's no doubt going to be a 3rd party to get a deal done with anyone. 

I want no part of this guy here at these rumored costs. 

Go get Buchnevich,Eberle,  Zucker, Smith or Olofsson and more than one of these with some forms of retention  

Everyone is going to be tapped out and the Rangers could maybe swoop in and get 3 decent players for insurance as all the teams looking for help will have already made their deals. 

Edited by The Dude

Just now, The Dude said:

None of these teams have the cap space to get this guy. There's no doubt going to be a 3rd party to get a deal done with anyone

I want no part of this guy here at these rumored costs. 

Go get Eberle,  Zucker, Smith or Olofsson and more. Everyone is going to be tapped out and the Rangers could maybe swoop in and get 3 decent players for insurance as all the teams looking for help will have already made their deals. 

Carolina sending Bunting the other way basically ends that thought.