• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Had 'Serious Interest' in Jake Guentzel; Headed to Carolina

That's because they're also on the prowl for a top-six right winger, with Pittsburgh’s Jake Guentzel the ideal candidate and Anaheim’s Frank Vatrano next up on their wish list. They’ve expressed serious interest in both, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation, who noted that the asking prices are quite high (especially for Guentzel, whose going rate is believed to be a first-round pick and multiple young assets).

Edited by RichieNextel305

I just don’t see it happening. For what the price is, and the fact that Othmann and Perrault are off the table, plus the fact that I would have to imagine Pittsburgh would rather deal him elsewhere, I just don’t see a match. Reports last night speculated this may be something that happens fast. So we may have more clarity on Guentzel in the next few hours.

But I doubt it will be with the Rangers. I just don’t see it.

We shall see.

I think the cost of acquisition is something I would rather not pay for a rental, because I honestly think he's going back to Pittsburgh. 

Then we'll have a line of Guentzel-Sid-Kakko lighting us up next year. 

• LOL 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I just don't see the value in a mortgage that large for a couple playoff goals, and a scenario where we're all scratching our heads wondering why new player x or y doesn't fit in, or isn't producing at anything close to their historical clip.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I think the cost of acquisition is something I would rather not pay for a rental, because I honestly think he's going back to Pittsburgh. 

Exactly, and Othmann or Berard running Fox through the boards on the forecheck. Fuck Guentzel.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Kakko would kill that line

Fishing GIF by Epicly Later'd

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2
  • Believe 1

Pitt has to be using the Rangers as leverage.  

This would make ZERO sense on the Rangers part b/c they would be giving up too many assets that could haunt the Rangers for a very long time, and in essence would eventually cost Drury his job.  I don't see this working out in the Rangers favor at all.  

When Jagr number retirement happened a couple of weeks ago, Larry Brooks mentioned that the Penguins took less assets from the Caps just so the Penguins wouldn't trade him to the Rangers.  

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Pitt has to be using the Rangers as leverage.  

This would make ZERO sense on the Rangers part b/c they would be giving up too many assets that could haunt the Rangers for a very long time, and in essence would eventually cost Drury his job.  I don't see this working out in the Rangers favor at all.  

When Jagr number retirement happened a couple of weeks ago, Larry Brooks mentioned that the Penguins took less assets from the Caps just so the Penguins wouldn't trade him to the Rangers.  

Totally different issue. Pittsburgh was pissed at Jagr, and was pissed at Sather in that situation. And he wanted to make Jagr miserable because Jagr was adamant about wanting to be in New York, and New York only. And because Pittsburgh was hurting for money, and not many teams were able to take on Jagr at his full price tag, they seemed to have little choice but to send him where he wanted to go and take a package that wasn’t quite worth what Jagr was worth at that time. So to rock the boat, Patrick sent him to the Caps.

But again, I don’t think the Penguins would ideally like to send Guentzel to us. 

No way...I'll projectile puke if we trade for him.

Kakko would score 50 next to Sid, Othmann would kick Rempe's ass, Our #1 pick will be the "diamond in the rough" that turns out to be another Selke winner, and Perrault will be the next Joe Sakic.

Please for the love of all that's fucking holy...no Ranger Trades with Pittsburgh!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

No way...I'll projectile puke if we trade for him.

Kakko would score 50 next to Sid, Othmann would kick Rempe's ass, Our #1 pick will be the "diamond in the rough" that turns out to be another Selke winner, and Perrault will be the next Joe Sakic.

Please for the love of all that's fucking holy...no Ranger Trades with Pittsburgh!

I Guess If You Say So GIF

• LOL 1

Kakko will absolutely dominate on Crosby's line. There's a difference between playing with one of the all time greats as your 1C and someone who is not likely to make the hall of fame. 

He would be the perfect fit for the 1st line if he can play RW...

Too much for a rental I agree. If they can re-sign him then I'm all for it, but I don't see how that's possible without trading someone like Kreider in the off-season. Even with Kakko and Goodrow gone it will be hard to fit him under the cap.

With an extension I would have no problem trading Kakko, Otthman and/or Perrault + 1st for him. Not all of it, but some kind of package. He's an amazing player and a playoff beast. This roster + Guentzel would be Cup favorites in my eyes.

Even as a rental I would be fine with giving up a lot. Probably not the prospects mentioned, but a 1st++ sure.

I think we need to cool it with the big trade packages here. 

These things never happen the way we think they do. Every year, there's a big prize and every year it's "oh, it's going to take a first and another first, and the guy you used your first rounder on last year, and evidence of a virgin birth" to get them. And every year, it's the same goddamn package for the big guy - a 1st, maybe a conditional 1st on top, a mid-level prospect with some promise, and someone you haven't heard of.

Sometimes, that works out. We got Ryan Lindgren for Rick Nash! 

Sometimes, it doesn't. See - Ryan McDonagh trade.

But under absolutely no circumstances should we be thinking that Kakko, Othmann, or Perreault are on the table for a pure rental like Guentzel. It's simply never the case. And it shouldn't be, because if nobody wants to pony up the young prospect, the Penguins can just let him sit there and be on the Penguins at 3pm on Friday. And get nothing.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

I think we need to cool it with the big trade packages here. 

These things never happen the way we think they do. Every year, there's a big prize and every year it's "oh, it's going to take a first and another first, and the guy you used your first rounder on last year, and evidence of a virgin birth" to get them. And every year, it's the same goddamn package for the big guy - a 1st, maybe a conditional 1st on top, a mid-level prospect with some promise, and someone you haven't heard of.

Sometimes, that works out. We got Ryan Lindgren for Rick Nash! 

Sometimes, it doesn't. See - Ryan McDonagh trade.

But under absolutely no circumstances should we be thinking that Kakko, Othmann, or Perreault are on the table for a pure rental like Guentzel. It's simply never the case. And it shouldn't be, because if nobody wants to pony up the young prospect, the Penguins can just let him sit there and be on the Penguins at 3pm on Friday. And get nothing.

Agreed. It’d be more like a 1st, 2nd, and Berard. A couple tough pieces to lose but not a blue chip

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agreed. It’d be more like a 1st, 2nd, and Berard. A couple tough pieces to lose but not a blue chip

Yep. Exactly. Bang-the-fuck-on.

Would hate losing Berard, but we're so stacked at LW that he's an expendable chip. That's the level we should be thinking here.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

"Sid doesn't want to play with Kakko" reports would be *chefs kiss* though.

I can just imagine Crosby manneurisms watching as Kakko skates up and down the boards with the puck before flubbing on a pass or shot. If anyone can make Crosby look clueless it might be Kakko

Guentzel is so fucking good. We all watched this dude score 8 goals in 7 games against the Rangers two years ago right? He probably should've scored a few more too. If you can acquire him without trading Perreault or Othmann fucking do it. Worry about retaining him in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

7 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Guentzel is so fucking good. We all watched this dude score 8 goals in 7 games against the Rangers two years ago right? He probably should've scored a few more too. If you can acquire him without trading Perreault or Othmann fucking do it. Worry about retaining him in the summer.

Correction: if you can acquire him without dealing Perreault, fucking do it. I'll happily move Othmann in this deal becuase let's be real: they're going to extend him.