• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Had 'Serious Interest' in Jake Guentzel; Headed to Carolina

16 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I mean sure, no player is untradeable at the end of the day. but they are certainly not trying to move him at all and it would take a kings ransom of an offer to even get them to stay on the phone if you bring him up.

he's a piece they want to build around. he's their franchise player. And for the other reasons I laid out, the new owner isnt going to want to give up their best player 

your not getting Tkachuk for just unkowns either. you're giving up top players and top prospects and picks.

I would think any deal for Tkachuk starts with Perreault, a 1st, and Kakko. 

3 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I dont think that even moves the needle for them honestly. 

It starts with Lafreniere and Miller. They won't want a bunch of maybes. They'll want proven/semi-proven talent coming back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Mercogliano reiterates that Guentzel is the Rangers No. 1 priority at the moment. And with Edmonton out, and not many other suitors left in the game, there may be an opening here.

Where did he say that? I'm not seeing it on his Twitter timeline. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Where did he say that? I'm not seeing it on his Twitter timeline. 

They've been lurking on Pittsburgh's Jake Guentzel, according to two people with knowledge of the situation, with the top forward available representing their No. 1 choice. The 29-year-old would be an ideal fit − a pure scorer with speed, snarl and a proven point-per-game playoff track record − but the question is whether New York team president Chris Drury is willing to pay the Penguins' exorbitant asking price, believed to be a first-round pick and at least one valuable young asset. Any deal would also require Pitt to retain a portion of Guentzel's $6 million salary.

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It says #1 choice.

I don't like the idea of grabbing guys who have spent their whole career with one team. It never works out when they get here. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't like the idea of grabbing guys who have spent their whole career with one team. It never works out when they get here. 

I hear that. I’m also leery of dealing any of these prospects to Pittsburgh and having to watch them torch us for the next decade.

Its a tough, tough call.

I know that from what I’ve read, Pittsburgh hasn’t given any interested team (and not that’s it gotten to that point with any of them yet) a window to talk extending him. But I’m sure they can spitball, and if I see an avenue to possibly making a strong offer, I might be tempted even more to pull the trigger. That’s why I had asked in another thread how it would work in the off-season and whether not we would have some sufficient cap space to maybe even get in the door with an extension with the cap going up and with Goodrow likely to no longer be on the roster.

Again, very tough call on Drury. Just as much as on Dubas IMO. Could be reverberating ramifications for both if they do business here. 

In regard to what you said, Guentzel has been up since I believe 2016. So it’s not as if this is a lifer where he’s 34 and he’s been there since he was 18 or 19. So I don’t think the time to acclimate would be as drastic as it would be for others. Not that 8 years is anything to sneeze at.

Edited by RichieNextel305

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I hear that. I’m also leery of dealing any of these prospects to Pittsburgh and having to watch them torch us for the next decade.

Its a tough, tough call.

I know that from what I’ve read, Pittsburgh hasn’t given any interested team (and not that’s it gotten to that point with any of them yet) a window to talk extending him. But I’m sure they can spitball, and if I see an avenue to possibly making a strong offer, I might be tempted even more to pull the trigger. That’s why I had asked in another thread how it would work in the off-season and whether not we would have some sufficient cap space to maybe even get in the door with an extension with the cap going up and with Goodrow likely to no longer be on the roster.

Again, very tough call on Drury. Just as much as on Dubas IMO. Could be reverberating ramifications for both if they do business here. 

Personally I think he's going to turn right back around and sign with Pittsburgh after they clear cap space in the offseason.

They would have to do a lot more than move Goodrow to be able to afford an extension. 

I'm also not interested in paying over 8 million a year for a guy who's going to come here and be a 25/25 guy without Crosby. 

Edited by Pete

13 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Copp was fantastic

I mean that's one guy... He also had two points in the elimination series to Tampa Bay. 

St Louis sucked. 

Tarasenko was average. 

Kane was average. 

How many players in that situation from other teams were traded at the deadline and did nothing? Lots. 

Edited by Pete

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

I mean that's one guy... He also had two points in the elimination series to Tampa Bay. 

St Louis sucked. 

Tarasenko was average. 

Kane was average. 

How many players in that situation from other teams were traded at the deadline and did nothing? Lots. 

Fair points. Also, most teams who trade for a big star at the deadline don't win if I recall correctly 

• Keeps it 100 1

56 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

Fair points. Also, most teams who trade for a big star at the deadline don't win if I recall correctly 

True.

But I don’t believe there’s any direct correlation.