• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Had 'Serious Interest' in Jake Guentzel; Headed to Carolina

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

My biggest issue with Guentzel is that I'm really not interested in rooting for him. Not even slightly. I'll be on the haters wagon on day 1.

Is it the Corey Perry type face?

12 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Interesting take here......are Othmann and Cuylle redundant going forward on the left side?

I see Othmann as a long term Kreider replacement but maybe he doesn't fit our timeline 

So winning in 1994 has been good till the 20-30 year anniversary then we started to get antsy. Not giving up the farm gives more of an opportunity to win more than one in those 20-30 years so that's the balance I suppose. No guarantees though.

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

So winning in 1994 has been good till the 20-30 year anniversary then we started to get antsy. Not giving up the farm gives more of an opportunity to win more than one in those 20-30 years so that's the balance I suppose. No guarantees though.

That goes both ways. No promise that trading up gets you a single cup.

• Keeps it 100 1

19 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

If we traded Othmann but won a cup I really wouldn't give a shit, tbh.

15 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I'd give our next 5 first rounders + Kakko + Othmann + Perrault if we got 1 cup

You say that now, but you guys will be the first ones complaining about how bad we are in 4-5 years 🤣

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 1

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I won't, because I'm logical, but yeah a lot of other folks will.

My guy there are still people complaining about Doug Weight and Tony Amonte. 

It really comes down to what the player does when they get here. People are complaining about the cost to acquire Wennberg but if he has a good playoff, will anyone care?

You sell a boatload for Guentzel and even if you win a cup, if he doesn't score a ton, it ain't worth it.

Again, I have no faith in bringing in players who have spent their whole career elsewhere. It rarely works out. 

• Bullseye 1

This is so dumb comparatively if we rent Guentzel and don't pursue Buch or Vatrano who solve this ANNUAL PROBLEM for another year thereafter. Then we will go into next year with no collateral to fix the holes in the same damn roster.

Now again, I know I touched on this with Pete last night. But I admit I’m brutal when it comes to the cap. And I know that most reports speculate he’s going to July 1 regardless. But, with the cap going up, with Goodrow likely off the books and if we do flip Kakko in this package, does that bring us any closer to potentially having room for Guentzel on an extension? Could that be why they’re reportedly okay trading Kakko?

Hes…what? $2.5M AAV? Goodrow I believe is $3.6M AAV? That’s $6.1 right there, hypothetically. We wouldn’t be too, too far off just based off that. Obviously some work to do.

Would be extremely dumb. I go back to the usual rhetoric of "how many Cup winners in the last 20 years have swung big on a first line player and won?"

I hate the "you have to go for it every year" justification. It's what forces a team to languish in mediocrity if they don't win a Cup. You don't see good teams adding top line forwards to fill a roster hole. I would sooner let Kakko figure it out than trade a 1st, him, Othmann, or Perreault. Guentzel has put up okay numbers playing with Sidney Crosby. Meanwhile, only two forwards have ever worked with Mika and Kreider: Vatrano and Buch.

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1