• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Mika Zibanejad

Phil

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Not that I disagree. Because I was at a point of almost sending half of this team away in various trades to Switzerland in my own head immediately following the series against New Jersey.

That said, when you are able to take 2 steps back and breathe, you realize this: in what world are you dealing either of them right now and improving the roster right now? Because the fact of the matter is that this is a win-now operation. While losing that series was beyond painful, and beyond embarrassing, had we gone nuclear there and blown it up only 1 year after being 2 wins from a Stanley Cup Final appearance, the uproar would have been through the roof. 

Where are we dealing Mika or Kreider that improves the 2024 Rangers? The only time that moving Mika made any semblance of sense was when the Eichel rumors were percolating. And I do think there were some very strong internal debates inside of the brain trust here about who was a better option moving forward as a 1C, because the Rangers had to still make a decision about re-signing Zibanejad before he went UFA. It was him at money, or Eichel at money while relinquishing assets. As much as we likely would have wanted both, it would have been a tough and nearly impossible situation.

The thing with the two of them that can be pain staking is that when they want it, they can be as deadly of a duo in this sport. When those two are locked in, they can show up and show up in the biggest of spots. We have seen them produce, whether it be on ES/PP/PK, in spots where they are sorely needed. The thing is the consistency. And in Kreiders case, the coasting. 

They likely aren’t going to be split. They likely are going to have a stretch here where they go unconsciously hot, because history dictates that. You just hope the switch flips in the playoffs. Because as much as we whine and complain and over analyze things about this team when it comes to underlying stats and numbers, the fact of the matter is that this is a really good team with a really good coach and a really good goalie and really good players. But we go no where unless we have Zibanejad contributing when the lights are shining brightest in a few weeks in the playoffs.

With the NMCs, we are committed to our core, which was a management not a coaching decision.  If coaches/management aren't satisfied with what they're seeing on the ice, they can juggle lines, change power play1 and power play2 groups, change the penalty kill groups, and reward performance with ice time. The Rangers have chosen to use these motivation tools over the years (time on ice, power play ice time in particular) with younger players (Kakko, Laf) but veterans have largely been exempt, which gives tacit approval to veteran on-ice and leadership performance because it hasn't been criticized. Other organizations Vancouver (Tocchet), Pittsburgh (Sullivan) and Tortorella in his various spots have used ice time and healthy scratches with young players and veterans.

The answer isn't to have the coaches and management shrug their shoulders and keep the status quo because we're racking up regular season wins despite Kreider and Zib not meeting expectations, and then have them shrug their shoulders when the Rangers are eliminated again early in the playoffs.  The answer is to correct deficiencies in on-ice play with any player (young or veteran) by having the player juggled to a lower line, have less ice time, get dropped from PP1 to PP2 or from PP2 to no power play.  And it's more important to correct problems with core leaders because they are setting the tone for the whole team, and if you let a player wear a leadership letter while not performing as needed, that sends a message to the whole locker room as well.

• Keeps it 100 1

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Good points. Odd that you say you don't follow much yet say I wanted to trade everyone in January. You follow enough to try to have a handle on my opinions.

While it's true I I said the sky had fallen.  I cited a few players that could be traded. I still think they can or should be (Miller, Kakko is really all I said). 

With Zibanejad... It's been a season long thing. And yes. I di believe he says to himself "I'm going to play whatever way I want ". .... because he is. He's dogshit on the forecheck. He creates no takeaways. He plays east west. He's NOT getting it and I'm not so certain he turns it around in the next 2 months. 

One line can only carry this weight for so long. You think Zibanejad is just going to flip a switch and play the right way. I think he's going to do what he's been doing for 2 years now. What ever he wants. 

Without 5 on 5 contributions from 20/93, this teams chances become slim. Maybe they can get by with the PP. I'd rather not depend on that again. 

Maybe I should lay off a little,  but it's not batshit crazy to think some top pieces aren't and won't carry their weight when all the chips are down. 

Let's get another RW and see what happens. Who do you feel can fit the bill and get these 2 playing right? 

Thanks for the response. People come at this stuff from different directions.

After some internal agonizing, I'm willing to concede that you get Guentzel if you can, even if Kakko goes the other way. * But that's a very tough deal to make work. I think Vatrano remains the most likely and I'm fine with that. He's more Frankie than he's ever been this year and his track record with KZ wasn't record breaking, but it was better than most. Tarasenko would be good again almost in spite of KZ, but tough to make that money work. Eberle is probably fine, but doesn't knock me over. I have real doubts about Duclair's ability to deliver.

I keep hoping that Dury will pull something out of his ass that nobody has thought of, but this inventory has been pretty well picked over.

* I still think Kakko can be an NHL success story, but I'm no longer sure he can do it in NY. He's been intimidated from day 1. Maybe someplace with a small media market (WPG?) or a city that has a smaller fan base - or at least one that is less of a 24/7 lynch mob - (STL? SEA?) would be a place he can get out of his own head and let his instincts take over.

** You know that Zib is 2nd on the team with 38 takeaways, right? (Tied with Troch) Your boy K'Andre leads with 41.

Edited by RodrigueGabriel
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 9:41 AM, Ozzy said:

I've figured it out, fellas.  They're both older now, and they're saving it for the playoffs!

Why waste extra energy on a regular season??  Use it when it counts!  LOL

...or saving it for their wives

17 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

who's going to bury you when you die?  Pete?

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm being creamated and sprinkled on the 5th green of the Blue course at Timber point.

It'd probably be the only time I ever hit that green!  😉

Next to my dog, in the yard.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I know it’s a joke but Wennberg was brought here in addition to the bottom 6 to shut down top players of other teams.  Let’s try figuring out how to help/fix Zib instead.  

I think getting him out from tough defensive assignments and always having to transport the puck out of his own zone because the defense can't do it is the key to fixing him. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I think getting him out from tough defensive assignments and always having to transport the puck out of his own zone because the defense can't do it is the key to fixing him. 

i think taking him off the PP for starters might be a wake up call of sorts.  right now Laf deserves to be on PP1 more than Zib

• Keeps it 100 1

• 3 weeks later...

He had a few rockets on the PP, but Mika still looked pretty sterile to me at 5v5 against the Panthers.

There was a time when Mika was at least a moderate threat to splitting the defense or skating around someone on his own...what the hell gives?

I should concede though, that shootout goal was downright filthy - Bob nodding his head afterward was classic

Edited by Jdog99
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 hours ago, Valriera said:

Vintage Mika tonight. Decisive shot, short handed goal, completely perplexing at even strength minus one great move 

Entire line was quiet for 2 games now.

It's almost like trying the one thing that hasn't been tried yet, should be tried...

• LOL 1

Still good, but not as good as prior Mika Marchs. 😝

But, yeah, hopefully he keeps going. We've seen him go through long stretches of being bad, but long ones of being good, both in the playoffs and regular season. Remember their run two years ago where he started terribly and then was the big reason they were able to beat Pittsburgh. With him, you kind of hope the stars align at the right time and he's really good when you need him to be.

• Believe 1