• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Mika Zibanejad

Phil

17 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

3C might be a complement

These stats look a lot like what happened last year against the good teams.  So this year it is against everybody.

That's what stepping down looks like.

• LMFAO 1

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

These stats look a lot like what happened last year against the good teams.  So this year it is against everybody.

That's what stepping down looks like.

Yeah, this is only his age 30 season though. I’m not sure if it’s permanent regression or a blip where he can recover from it next season, or even later this season. He should have 2-3 really good years left still, but if he’s already hitting a wall then his contract is going to be pretty gross quickly.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, this is only his age 30 season though. I’m not sure if it’s permanent regression or a blip where he can recover from it next season, or even later this season. He should have 2-3 really good years left still, but if he’s already hitting a wall then his contract is going to be pretty gross quickly.

Well if he steps down to a 35 PP/PK 35 EVS player that is 100% manageable.  That's a good 3C with the cap expanding over the next few years.  It's an acceptable 2nd liner depending on who is carrying that 2nd line.

Last year he had 21 EVS pts against playoff teams and 29 EVS points against the rest and the main problem was he only scored 4 goals in the 21 points against the playoff teams.  Realistically he was a 2C in effect for the Rangers for much of the year. 

24 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Well if he steps down to a 35 PP/PK 35 EVS player that is 100% manageable.  That's a good 3C with the cap expanding over the next few years.  It's an acceptable 2nd liner depending on who is carrying that 2nd line.

Last year he had 21 EVS pts against playoff teams and 29 EVS points against the rest and the main problem was he only scored 4 goals in the 21 points against the playoff teams.  Realistically he was a 2C in effect for the Rangers for much of the year. 

Not sure how you keep regulating him down to 3C and skipping 2C. Are you just trying to rile @Pete up? 

If they ever got a better C, Zibanejad is the 2C. He's perfect for that role. I kinda always thought of him as not talented enough to be a team's top center. He's really fucking good, but not a guy I tie my wagon to.

One 90 point season (where he was invisible for a good chunk) and a disappearing act in the playoffs doesn't make him a bona-fide 1 C. He's all they have though, so he did what he could with the job. Far exceeded my expectations,  but he's really making it hard to pull for him right now. 

But 3 C? Not for a bunch more years man. 

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Then why can’t Zibby play with Panarin?

We already covered this. Maybe he can. They didn't try it very much at all. Might have just been a couple of periods this season. 

14 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

One can be true while the other is definitely true.  

We don't know. 

Trocheck+Panarin under GG = 💩

Zibanejad+Panarin under GG = 💩

Trocheck+Panarin under Lavvy = 🎆

Zibanejad+Panarin under GG = never been tried. 

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

We don't know. 

Trocheck+Panarin under GG = 💩

Zibanejad+Panarin under GG = 💩

Trocheck+Panarin under Lavvy = 🎆

Zibanejad+Panarin under GG = never been tried. 

Zibanejad + Anyone under GG = 🎆

Zibanejad + Anyone under Lavi = 💩

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zibanejad + Anyone under GG = 🎆

Zibanejad + Anyone under Lavi = 💩

And yet here he is with 44 points in 47 games.

And you're still finding things to whine and bitch about after a great win. 

It's like you don't know what good is. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

And yet here he is with 44 points in 47 games.

And you're still finding things to whine and bitch about after a great win. 

It's like you don't know what good is. 

I posted that 2 1/2 hours ago. I think it's funny that you think an evaluation of a player's performance over the course of half a season should change after a singular game against the 4th worst team in the league though.

11 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I posted that 2 1/2 hours ago. I think it's funny that you think an evaluation of a player's performance over the course of half a season should change after a singular game against the 4th worst team in the league though.

Did I say anything about the way he played last night? Or did I say he has 44 points in 47 games?

I think it's funny that you evaluate players after really poor stretches, but you don't really ever have shit to say when they're on hot streaks.

It's almost like you actually don't know what good is. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Did I say anything about the way he played last night? Or did I say he has 44 points in 47 games?

I think it's funny that you evaluate players after really poor stretches, but you don't really ever have shit to say when they're on hot streaks.

It's almost like you actually don't know what good is. 

You essentially said a single win should grant immunity from criticism. That’s big time loser talk.

• 2 weeks later...

Zibanejad has now played 70 games over the last two seasons against playoff teams/teams currently in playoff position.

He's got 9 EVS goals and 23 EVS assists in those games at this point.

Most likely we'll be looking at the numbers this summer and wondering if he's still a top 6 center.

Good on the powerplay and penalty kill but 5v5 is a major challenge for him at this point when the other team is good.

220 points over his last 214 regular season games this season and the last 2 seasons.  Everyone needs to stop with the not a #1 center.  
He might not be up to some people’s liking as a #1 center but he is without a doubt a #1 center.  
Before he emerged as the Rangers #1 center all of us fans pined for a true #1 center for years. 
If the Rangers were to entertain trading him just about every team would jump at the chance to get him.  

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

51 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Zibanejad has now played 70 games over the last two seasons against playoff teams/teams currently in playoff position.

He's got 9 EVS goals and 23 EVS assists in those games at this point.

Most likely we'll be looking at the numbers this summer and wondering if he's still a top 6 center.

Good on the powerplay and penalty kill but 5v5 is a major challenge for him at this point when the other team is good.

Brother…. You’re missing the fact the most “1st line C’s” play with their teams best player at the wing.

Zib does not.

That hurts his ES production significantly.

This can’t be understated 

• Like 1