• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Mika Zibanejad

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Again, Jekyll and Hyde. I love the avalanche of goals when they come. But when they’re not there, it’s tough to see. And the 5v5 shit is really scary at this point. I’m a Zibanejad fan. I know he will likely go torrid at some point.

But man, his production at ES has been downright terrifying this season.

10 minutes ago, Valriera said:

That is not a good look, but then again those two are playing simple and effective hockey, while Mika is playing backgammon in a park with Kreider’s grand dad still talking about his wedding 

Mike has embraced and hugged Kreids numerous times. Shoot on net, go to the net, not make that stupid pass again and again, well...

For 2 years, defensemen and goalies know the 1 timer is coming. Last season Minnesota's play by play guy said as much. they all know it's coming; slide to your right, pressure him, and it's either blocked or he'll miss anyway. It has to stop. 

He's talented but God damn is he dumb right now. 

This is not new.  It's just getting attention now because it's so extreme.

Mika Zibanejad's offensive prowess basically peaked at 29 and has been going downhill steadily since then.  This is an expected decline for most players.  He has the cushion of the Ranger's excellent power play which is why he's still perceived as a star.

13 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is not new.  It's just getting attention now because it's so extreme.

Mika Zibanejad's offensive prowess basically peaked at 29 and has been going downhill steadily since then.  This is an expected decline for most players.  He has the cushion of the Ranger's excellent power play which is why he's still perceived as a star.

Or...Hear me out...He's having a down year because as reported, he's shooting from farther out than ever before.

You would have a point if everything was apples to apples and the goals weren't going in. But there is something new. His shot selection. And now teams gameplan against him because he's a star.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Or...Hear me out...He's having a down year because as reported, he's shooting from farther out than ever before.

You would have a point if everything was apples to apples and the goals weren't going in. But there is something new. His shot selection. And now teams gameplan against him because he's a star.

if hes shooting from farther out than before, that may be because he's 'lost a step' with regards to skating past and/or through people

In connection with the CTE lawsuit, in which a law partner of mine had some player clients, I learned a lot about the long term implications of concussions.  Sometimes a player "recovers" but years later starts to be a little "off."  Perhap Mika is simply aging, but I wonder about his concussion history.  I don't base this on stats but the eye test.  Three or four years ago, he seemed like a disruptive dynamic force, all over the place and pressuring the opposition into mistakes.  I don't see that at all anymore.  I see a talented unselfish player who is prudent about making mistakes himself but isn't pressuring the opposition anymore.  He's just not so intense.  That's why I wonder about long term concussion implications.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Teams gameplanned against him last season also and the good ones basically nulled him out at 5v5.  That's continued this season.

For what it's worth if you can be shut down the way he can you're not a star.

Just now, Br4d said:

Teams gameplanned against him last season also and the good ones basically nulled him out at 5v5.  That's continued this season.

That's certainly your opinion.

19 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

In connection with the CTE lawsuit, in which a law partner of mine had some player clients, I learned a lot about the long term implications of concussions.  Sometimes a player "recovers" but years later starts to be a little "off."  Perhap Mika is simply aging, but I wonder about his concussion history.  I don't base this on stats but the eye test.  Three or four years ago, he seemed like a disruptive dynamic force, all over the place and pressuring the opposition into mistakes.  I don't see that at all anymore.  I see a talented unselfish player who is prudent about making mistakes himself but isn't pressuring the opposition anymore.  He's just not so intense.  That's why I wonder about long term concussion implications.

It's certainly possible that CTE can cause delayed production losses.  That said, life causes delayed production losses in everybody and that's true of hockey as well as football and other contact sports.

Most players decline starting in their late 20's and walk off a cliff in their early 30's.  There are exceptions to the rule who maintain great production, possibly in slightly different ways, into their mid to late 30's but these guys are a huge exception when it happens.

We talk a lot about Mika Zibanejad but of the two Chris Kreider is the better player at this point.  He actually got better just when most players are declining and he's maintained that productivity for 2+ years.  For all the heat GG gets he oversaw an enormous renaissance in Kreider's career.

27 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Could see why his concussion history might make any player less inclined to "mix it up". Add in seeing Chytil's issues up close, totally understandable. Simply hate seeing him take the one timer and almost always the delay to steady himself, which gives goalies and d-men time to set up.  Would prefer he be more inclined to shoot ASAP, and on net. 

Same line, while Rempe is fun to watch, nobody can take that kind of trauma every night; it's not healthy. Fuckin' haymakers are gonna have an impact. Would like to think Reaves being a decent guy doesn't look for a fight. 

Edited by Bugg

11 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's certainly possible that CTE can cause delayed production losses.  That said, life causes delayed production losses in everybody and that's true of hockey as well as football and other contact sports.

Most players decline starting in their late 20's and walk off a cliff in their early 30's.  There are exceptions to the rule who maintain great production, possibly in slightly different ways, into their mid to late 30's but these guys are a huge exception when it happens.

We talk a lot about Mika Zibanejad but of the two Chris Kreider is the better player at this point.  He actually got better just when most players are declining and he's maintained that productivity for 2+ years.  For all the heat GG gets he oversaw an enormous renaissance in Kreider's career.

I have no idea why you would give GG any credit for Kreider.

16 minutes ago, Br4d said:

He’s not amongst the super-elite C’s in the league.

That is not a hot take.

Always been the case.

There’s basically 100 guys who are true, full-time C’s, in the league at any given time.

Hes not top-10.

But he’s basically top-15.

And he has Trochek right behind him.

That is an excellent 1-2.

McDavid

Mackinnon

Matthews

Crosby

Petterson

Point

He’s in the discussion after that still. 7-15. That’s considering Draistel a wing.

If we’re talking total overall game I’d still take him over some guys that are having better statistical seasons (J.T) or young guys that haven’t proven they can stay healthy yet (Hughes).

He's the kind of guy who gets his game picked apart till no end, regardless of production.

He's the guy who you don't realize you miss until he's gone. 

I remember when people thought Gomez was going to be an upgrade on Nylander. 

6 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

You're taking Zibanejad over Hughes? Bruh.

I mean if I had to pick today for the next ten years? No. If I’m picking today for the rest of the season? Yes. Hughes definitely more dynamic but doesn’t have the full game yet. Plus he gets hurt… a lot.

Zibanejad and Kreider are high quality, first line players at all strengths except for generating 5v5 offense. They are mid-6 complimentary players at 5v5. This isn't a new bucket to be put in for Kreider, but it is for Zibanejad. I'm pretty confident both will have their 5v5 production elevated if they get paired with a winger who can help generate offense.

• VINNY! 1

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zibanejad and Kreider are high quality, first line players at all strengths except for generating 5v5 offense. They are mid-6 complimentary players at 5v5. This isn't a new bucket to be put in for Kreider, but it is for Zibanejad. I'm pretty confident both will have their 5v5 production elevated if they get paired with a winger who can help generate offense.

Vesey has done very little since being elevated into that role. He actually got replaced in the Columbus game by Panarin but that could have been Lav trying to generate anything.  I don’t think the answer is on the roster unfortunately. Tarasenko fits the bill.