• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Mika Zibanejad

Phil

I would actually rest him before the playoffs. It's become pretty evident to me over the past couple of games that he looks tired.

And when you think about it it makes a lot of sense. There's no team in the league who gets less help from their defense in terms of transporting the puck than the Rangers (per Shayna). Maybe McDavid has to do more work up in Edmonton than Mika does moving the puck up the ice. It's incredibly taxing to have to move the puck from deep your zone, and then work deep in the other team zone. That's why having a line mate like Kreider who doesn't really skate, really hurts. There's no stretch pass, there's no throw the puck up ice and create a foot race.

Again, would love to see the zone entry data on that line. 

But yeah, that's why you see him taking shots from far out. He could use a break. 

Edited by Pete
  • TroCheckmark 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since the Islander game on St. Patrick’s Day (9 games), he has 2 goals in 9 games, with 1 being an ENG in Boston. 

I love Mika. It’s clear he’s not having the season he would have hoped for from an offensive POV. And at the end of the day, if he goes on one of his crazy hot streaks in the playoffs, not many people are going to remember the struggles he had during the regular season.

That said, we really need him to play better. He needs to be an offensive threat while he’s out there for us to really take it to the next level. The ice is going to shrink in the playoffs. And even though tonight proved all we need to know about the depth scoring we have in our bottom-6, this team will be even harder to stop if it can have Zibanejad flying around and being a threat when he’s out there, and then the Panarin line doing what they’ve done all season while they’re out there.

I’m not going to get into the numbers, the logistics or anything. His play away from the puck has been fine. And the truth is that he definitely is the kind of guy who has shown up in big spots before and can really carry a team offensively. He needs to be that guy for us to get where we want to get.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Since the Islander game on St. Patrick’s Day (9 games), he has 2 goals in 9 games, with 1 being an ENG in Boston. 

I love Mika. It’s clear he’s not having the season he would have hoped for from an offensive POV. And at the end of the day, if he goes on one of his crazy hot streaks in the playoffs, not many people are going to remember the struggles he had during the regular season.

That said, we really need him to play better. He needs to be an offensive threat while he’s out there for us to really take it to the next level. The ice is going to shrink in the playoffs. And even though tonight proved all we need to know about the depth scoring we have in our bottom-6, this team will be even harder to stop if it can have Zibanejad flying around and being a threat when he’s out there, and then the Panarin line doing what they’ve done all season while they’re out there.

I’m not going to get into the numbers, the logistics or anything. His play away from the puck has been fine. And the truth is that he definitely is the kind of guy who has shown up in big spots before and can really carry a team offensively. He needs to be that guy for us to get where we want to get.

The Rangers have lost something like five of their last 20 games, right? 

I think everybody on the team needs to keep doing exactly what they're doing. 

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Rangers have lost something like five of their last 20 games, right? 

I think everybody on the team needs to keep doing exactly what they're doing. 

I get that. And to be honest, I think you’re undercutting the record. Haha. Their record has been absurd.

My point is the playoffs, we know, could be different. I just want to see him fill the net more and to trust his shot. And to use it more.

6 losses in 20 games. I just checked. The world is ending. More earthquakes! And an eclipse.

Just shoot more, Mika. Use that bad boy. It’s lethal.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I get that. And to be honest, I think you’re undercutting the record. Haha. Their record has been absurd.

My point is the playoffs, we know, could be different. I just want to see him fill the net more and to trust his shot. And to use it more.

6 losses in 20 games. I just checked. The world is ending. More earthquakes! And an eclipse.

Just shoot more, Mika. Use that bad boy. It’s lethal.

He's still racking assists. If he winds up scoring more during the playoffs, it's just gravy. 

The way they’ve played this season anything we as fans complain about is just nitpicking.  Winning is the only thing that matters and they are the best team in the NHL regular season this year.  That being said we all know the playoffs are a whole different animal.  What works in the regular season doesn’t always in the playoffs.  The way people perform during the season isn’t the same in the playoffs.  The big game performers usually show up or you go home.  

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 2

I thought that the Rangers would have worked on trying something new with Zibanejad. But is the same old same old with the off wing one timer. It's all they do. It's the only shot he's willing to take. 

Who knows. Maybe come playoff time, teams concentrate 1000% on the Panarin line and it opens up looks for Zibanejads line.

Then again the PP is going to be a huge factor. That's where Kreider can step up and do what he's been doing there.

Zibanejad can only improve offensively as far as production goes. He's better than this. We all know that. If he gets it going,  it's huge. If not..... Meh, they'll just have to do what they've been doing and hope the lower lines can help grind down opposing defenses, and expect good/better than average goaltending from Shesterkin. 

18 hours ago, The Dude said:

I thought that the Rangers would have worked on trying something new with Zibanejad. But is the same old same old with the off wing one timer. It's all they do. It's the only shot he's willing to take. 

Who knows. Maybe come playoff time, teams concentrate 1000% on the Panarin line and it opens up looks for Zibanejads line.

Then again the PP is going to be a huge factor. That's where Kreider can step up and do what he's been doing there.

Zibanejad can only improve offensively as far as production goes. He's better than this. We all know that. If he gets it going,  it's huge. If not..... Meh, they'll just have to do what they've been doing and hope the lower lines can help grind down opposing defenses, and expect good/better than average goaltending from Shesterkin. 

They need that line to go come playoff time.

Trochek’s line is going to draw top defenders every shift.

And their depth will be fine.

But they need Mika’s line to be productive. 

On 4/6/2024 at 10:00 AM, RJWantsTheCup said:

The way they’ve played this season anything we as fans complain about is just nitpicking.  Winning is the only thing that matters and they are the best team in the NHL regular season this year.  That being said we all know the playoffs are a whole different animal.  What works in the regular season doesn’t always in the playoffs.  The way people perform during the season isn’t the same in the playoffs.  The big game performers usually show up or you go home.  

...THAT, right there! 

Green Team Leadership GIF by Lead 'Em Up

• Like 1

He needs to do exactly what he's been doing all season because the team is having success.

Like everyone else on the team, he needs to maintain. Anything extra is gravy. 

• Bullseye 1

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

They need that line to go come playoff time.

Trochek’s line is going to draw top defenders every shift.

And their depth will be fine.

But they need Mika’s line to be productive. 

They’re not going far in the POs with Mika’s line playing the way they are. Im hoping Roslovic will be the one digging thr pucks out cause Zibby and Gleider are allergic to the boards. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

He needs to do exactly what he's been doing all season because the team is having success.

I don't think so.

I think you get into the playoffs and you're going to need a couple of lines scoring well.  Otherwise we're at the mercy of the Bread Line having an off-series and we're screwed again like last year.

Adjustments are fine but goals are king!

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

They’re not going far in the POs with Mika’s line playing the way they are. Im hoping Roslovic will be the one digging thr pucks out cause Zibby and Gleider are allergic to the boards. 

If your top-6 forwards, top-4 D, and your goalie do not play well… yeah… you aren’t winning a Cup.

Thats true of any team. 

They are all in the same boat.

Even historically good teams with no observable weaknesses are vulnerable to the indiscriminate weakness of bad luck….

Look at Boston last year…

You really believe Florida wins that series if Bergeron doesn’t get hurt, misses 4 games in the series, and clearly plays hurt in the other 3?

50 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I don't think so.

I think you get into the playoffs and you're going to need a couple of lines scoring well.  Otherwise we're at the mercy of the Bread Line having an off-series and we're screwed again like last year.

Adjustments are fine but goals are king!

They're scoring fine, we were just spoiled by how good they were in years prior. They're scoring appropriately for their role. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

They're scoring fine, we were just spoiled by how good they were in years prior. They're scoring appropriately for their role. 

They’re getting a lot more of the two-way role shifts lately.

FWIW…

In the 2 games vs Colorado this year…

Zib and CK drew MacKinnon and Rantanen a lot it seemed and did well. 

Last game scoring chance 5v5

Goodrow line - 12 (never to happen again in this lifetime)

Wenneberg line - 4

Tro line - 5

Mika's line - 2

No sure Roslovic has done any better than anyone else slotted on the right side with 93/20.  Maybe the numbers say differently ( I hope they do), but he's seems to have quickly leveled off after bringing some hope when he first arrived.

Have to pray for a lot of PPs in the PO.

Edited by Scott

13 minutes ago, Scott said:

Last game scoring chance 5v5

Goodrow line - 12 (never to happen again in this lifetime)

Wenneberg line - 4

Tro line - 5

Mika's line - 2

No sure Roslovic has done any better than anyone else slotted on the right side with 93/20.  Maybe the numbers say differently ( I hope they do), but he's seems to have quickly leveled off after bringing some hope when he first arrived.

Have to pray for a lot of PPs in the PO.

Disappointed with how far Roslovic fell off but agree it's looking like anyone in that position is suffering the same fate. 

Line needs a volume shooter and not someone who tries to "play off" the two of them. That, or split them up.

Cuylle Zib Roslovic

Kreider Wennberg Kakko 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Disappointed with how far Roslovic fell off but agree it's looking like anyone in that position is suffering the same fate. 

Line needs a volume shooter and not someone who tries to "play off" the two of them. That, or split them up.

Cuylle Zib Roslovic

Kreider Wennberg Kakko 

I'd like to see that too.

However, I think some of this is looking at that line as our 1st line the way it used to be. If you look at it as the 2nd line, you have a 2C with around 70 points and a 2LW on 40 goals whilst handling consistently tough matchups. Granted, it's heavily PP driven and you'd like to see them do more 5v5. But given you have a 1st line firing on all cylinders that's probably not disastrous for a 2nd line compared to the rest of the league (I haven't actually checked this). 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gravesy said:

I'd like to see that too.

However, I think some of this is looking at that line as our 1st line the way it used to be. If you look at it as the 2nd line, you have a 2C with around 70 points and a 2LW on 40 goals whilst handling consistently tough matchups. Granted, it's heavily PP driven and you'd like to see them do more 5v5. But given you have a 1st line firing on all cylinders that's probably not disastrous for a 2nd line compared to the rest of the league (I haven't actually checked this). 

Agreed. 

On 4/7/2024 at 4:59 PM, Pete said:

So we're going into the playoffs expecting Panarin to keep his 0.58 G/PG and 0.88 A/PG (1.47 P/PG) while his career playoff average is 0.81 P/PG? That's a recipe for disappointment right there.

We're not winning anything if Zibanejad (and his line) doesn't step it up in the playoffs. We're gonna need 2021 Zib (10 goals, 24 points in 20 games) and not 2022 Zib (1g, 4p in 7 games).

We said the same about Fox and Shesterkin earlier in the season (and Panarin before the season). We're not winning anything unless our best and most important players (G, 1D, 1C + Panarin) are playing their best hockey in the playoffs. The other 3 are doing it right now, Zib needs to do the same.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

So we're going into the playoffs expecting Panarin to keep his 0.58 G/PG and 0.88 A/PG (1.47 P/PG) while his career playoff average is 0.81 P/PG? That's a recipe for disappointment right there.

We're not winning anything if Zibanejad (and his line) doesn't step it up in the playoffs. We're gonna need 2021 Zib (10 goals, 24 points in 20 games) and not 2022 Zib (1g, 4p in 7 games).

We said the same about Fox and Shesterkin earlier in the season (and Panarin before the season). We're not winning anything unless our best and most important players (G, 1D, 1C + Panarin) are playing their best hockey in the playoffs. The other 3 are doing it right now, Zib needs to do the same.

The Panarin line is the single most dangerous line in the NHL. It's not even hyperbole - they've scored more goals than any single unit in the league. Part of that is consistency—I don't think they've been split up—but that's just a different level of danger and scoring than Panarin has ever had in his career. Ditto Lafreniere. Ditto Trocheck. 

In the same way we can look at Panarin's priors and say "hmm, that's concerning", we also need to look at the current reality and go "oh, that's also pretty different". This is the best version of Panarin we have ever seen. He's working with the best version of Lafreniere we've seen so far, and the best version of Trocheck we will probably ever see. Opposing teams should fear this line the way the Mackinnon line, the Kucherov line, or the McDavid line is feared.  And the cool part about that is that if they do, we have the Zibanejad line ready to strike, and that third line isn't exactly bad either. They work hard.

I'm perfectly fine with Trocheck as the "1C" and Zibanejad being a Selke-level 2C who puts up his .8 points/game. Fine by me. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This is true of and for every team. In every sport.

In order to win a championship, you need your best players to play their best in the biggest spots in the most important games.

38 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm perfectly fine with Trocheck as the "1C" and Zibanejad being a Selke-level 2C who puts up his .8 points/game. Fine by me. 

In theory that's all fine, I have no problem with that either, the problem is that no team is winning a cup with mostly one line producing all the ES goals, it's just not sustainable in the playoffs. "0.8 p/pg Selke-level 2C" sounds great, but when you dig a bit deeper the numbers are more concering than that, primarily his struggles at scoring 5v5, which affects the entire line since Kreider is no playmaker and Drury decided to not go for a game-changer and just get another passanger on that line.

I might sound overly pessimistic here, I'm not. I believe in Zib and I really think he'll get it done in the playoffs, but he needs to be better than he has for the past 70 games and that's just a fact.

I'm not ready to Nash-ify Zibanejad just yet. He's good enough to produce offense without sacrificing the defensive side of the game, so I'm not gonna be okay with him performing below expected offensively just because he's a solid two-way forward.

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

In theory that's all fine, I have no problem with that either, the problem is that no team is winning a cup with mostly one line producing all the ES goals, it's just not sustainable in the playoffs. "0.8 p/pg Selke-level 2C" sounds great, but when you dig a bit deeper the numbers are more concering than that, primarily his struggles at scoring 5v5, which affects the entire line since Kreider is no playmaker and Drury decided to not go for a game-changer and just get another passanger on that line.

I might sound overly pessimistic here, I'm not. I believe in Zib and I really think he'll get it done in the playoffs, but he needs to be better than he has for the past 70 games and that's just a fact.

I'm not ready to Nash-ify Zibanejad just yet. He's good enough to produce offense without sacrificing the defensive side of the game, so I'm not gonna be okay with him performing below expected offensively just because he's a solid two-way forward.

I mean, he and Trouba's elbow one-and-a-half handedly beat the Penguins a few years ago. No sense in Nashing him. 

Push to shove, I'd say this: I'm not really sure how useful our priors will be. Panarin has never played on a team like this one, and he's literally never played this well. Zibanejad has not been on a team where he wasn't shouldering the entire center load in almost 6 years. The last time Kreider played games with this level of expectation on the team was 2015. 

I like where all three are right now. Zib and Kreider have more to give offensively - bluntly, so does the Wennberg line - and that is a good thing when other teams will absolutely have to over-key on Panarin and Lafreniere.

• Believe 1