• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Mika Zibanejad

Phil

10 minutes ago, delneggs said:

Do whatever you want. You enjoy nitpicking the game of a guy well worth his cap hit so guess you will blowing hot air about anything.  

It's a discussion forum. Everyone here is blowing hot air, yourself included. 

There’s zero issue with his production or his contract. 

In fact his contract has become over the last few years, one of real value.

He has attributes though that indicate that he should drive play some more or contribute more in some areas. 

26 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yes. I know you are. 

As said, he’ll need to utilize that size, strength, and speed at times more so in the playoffs. He will need to win some puck battles. He will need to use those attributes to be more effective and engaged on the forecheck. 
Ice gets smaller. Games get more physical.

It’s also not 1988 anymore though, so he doesn’t need to constantly bang bodies. That’s not the NHL anymore.

Even the most physical players in the game today aren’t a fraction as physical as guys were 30-35 years ago. Even 20-25 years ago. 

True. I'm not asking for him to go out of his way to make a hit, I'm asking him to stop going out of his way not to make one. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

It's a discussion forum. Everyone here is blowing hot air, yourself included. 

Nitpicking a player who is a real asset for the team isn't discussion, it's nonsense.   

2 hours ago, delneggs said:

Nitpicking a player who is a real asset for the team isn't discussion, it's nonsense.   

No one forces you to participate... In a thread nitpicking Mika Zibenajad lol.

Edited by Pete

What I will say is that he might just be trying to preserve his body after the rib surgery and pulmonary embolism. He might be worried about getting hurt again.

That's the only thing I can think of that would limit his willingness to engage physically...other than he just don't want to. 

• LMFAO 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

What I will say is that he might just be trying to preserve his body after the rib surgery and pulmonary embolism. He might be worried about getting hurt again.

That's the only thing I can think of that would limit his willingness to engage physically...other than he just don't want to. 

I think he’s altered his play and become less physical since then.

On the plus side though, if that’s indeed the case, it’s led to him staying healthy and having a major jump in production. 

That's kind of been my copium too, even regarding Kreider. They are just conserving energy for the playoffs. lol I mean, it's not too far fetched. You don't think teams like the Lightning who had three-plus years in a row of deep playoff runs don't do it? Although, they can just put their players on LTIR at will. That seems to be a thing that only certain teams can employ.

15 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That's kind of been my copium too, even regarding Kreider. They are just conserving energy for the playoffs. lol I mean, it's not too far fetched. You don't think teams like the Lightning who had three-plus years in a row of deep playoff runs don't do it? Although, they can just put their players on LTIR at will. That seems to be a thing that only certain teams can employ.

Guys do that type of thing. It’s not at all uncommon. So if that’s what him and maybe another couple of guys are doing, ok.

We will see. 

33 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

No, any team can employ it. If they have an injured player. The Rangers used it to make their deadline moves and nobody would complain if Chytil came back in the second round, so nobody should complain that other teams do it. You know who doesn't complain about it? Other team's owners and GMs. 

Fans continue to complain about Vegas and Tampa however if you can make the playoffs with your best player on LTIR, then good on you. 

What's pretty clear is that the Rangers would be hard pressed to make the playoffs without Panarin.

Even Vegas made their balls out deadline moves when there was a pretty even chance that they could miss the playoffs, it's not like their first in the league. They're a friggin' wildcard team. 

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Indeed. Although with Mika this year, it seems like his shot is just off a little bit and/or he's been more reluctant to shoot.

He’s shooting at a lower rate than he has for the past 5 seasons. Though it isn’t ridiculously lower.
His shooting percentage is down as well, though it’s still good. 

Past 5 seasons he’s averaged just above 9 shots per 60 minutes played.

This year he’s at just above 8 shots per 60.

Past 5 seasons his shooting percentage is at 15%

This year it’s 12.5. 

He’s in the ballpark. Just slightly below. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, any team can employ it. If they have an injured player. The Rangers used it to make their deadline moves and nobody would complain if Chytil came back in the second round, so nobody should complain that other teams do it. You know who doesn't complain about it? Other team's owners and GMs. 

Fans continue to complain about Vegas and Tampa however if you can make the playoffs with your best player on LTIR, then good on you. 

What's pretty clear is that the Rangers would be hard pressed to make the playoffs without Panarin.

Even Vegas made their balls out deadline moves when there was a pretty even chance that they could miss the playoffs, it's not like their first in the league. They're a friggin' wildcard team. 

It’s within the rules.

Nothing is stopping isn’t other team from doing it.

No one has the right to bitch. 

• Bullseye 1

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

It’s within the rules.

Nothing is stopping isn’t other team from doing it.

No one has the right to bitch. 

But I wanna.

It actually doesn't even bother me, really. I just know a lot of people were flustered about it.

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

But I wanna.

It actually doesn't even bother me, really. I just know a lot of people were flustered about it.

Well listen, while it’s currently in the rules, it’s a loophole that the league needs to close.

I won’t deny that because it makes zero sense.

But its currently perfectly legal and it’s f a team utilizes that, they aren’t doing anything wrong. And changing it requires it to be collectively bargained, which means nothing can happen till the next CBA. 

The more important thing though for the next CBA, what have you is the bullshit rule on kids under 20 not being allowed to play in the AHL. 

Nonsense.

They say it would hurt the teams of the 3 CHL leagues.

Thats bullshit.

Junior hockey is immensely popular up there and it wouldn’t hurt them at all. 

Edited by RangersIn7

Well listen, while it’s currently in the rules, it’s a loophole that the league needs to close.

But its currently perfectly legal and it’s f a team utilizes that, they aren’t doing anything wrong. And changing it requires it to be collectively bargained, which means nothing can happen till the next CBA. 

There are some ideas out there. The most favorable one seems to be that you don't have to have a cap compliant roster for the playoffs, however the team that you dress every night needs to be cap compliant.

Meaning if Vegas wants Hertl and Stone playing, they've got to make some tough choices. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

There are some ideas out there. The most favorable one seems to be that you don't have to have a cap compliant roster for the playoffs, however the team that you dress every night needs to be cap compliant.

Meaning if Vegas wants Hertl and Stone playing, they've got to make some tough choices. 

You should be cap compliant in the playoffs. Period.

However they achieve that is incidental. 

You should be cap compliant in the playoffs. Period.

However they achieve that is incidental. 

Teams don't want that. There's too many injuries. There would be no black aces or taxi squads. The GM's and the NHL PA don't want it. 

The idea that the lineup you dress nightly makes sense, even if you're larger overall playoff eligible roster isn't cap compliant. 

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The more important thing though for the next CBA, what have you is the bullshit rule on kids under 20 not being allowed to play in the AHL. 

Nonsense.

They say it would hurt the teams of the 3 CHL leagues.

Thats bullshit.

Junior hockey is immensely popular up there and it wouldn’t hurt them at all. 

I think the league is pretty selective on what they choose to focus on and pay attention to whether it's in the rules or not, loopholes or no. It's fishy as hell. Would something like that actually get ratified? Who knows.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Teams don't want that. There's too many injuries. There would be no black aces or taxi squads. The GM's and the NHL PA don't want it. 

The idea that the lineup you dress nightly makes sense, even if you're larger overall playoff eligible roster isn't cap compliant. 

Yeah.

Personally I like the idea of the 20 guys you dress being cap compliant as the solution best of all.

I think that’s probably the way to go.

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think the league is pretty selective on what they choose to focus on and pay attention to whether it's in the rules or not, loopholes or no. It's fishy as hell. Would something like that actually get ratified? Who knows.

Hard to say.

Id like to see 4 things amended in next CBA

1) Fix the playoff cap loophole

2) Allow guys under 20 in AHL.

3) Fix the playoff format and go back to 1-8 seeding and re-seed after each round.

4) Go to 8 divisions of 4 over 4 divisions of 8

Hard to say.

Id like to see 4 things amended in next CBA

1) Fix the playoff cap loophole

2) Allow guys under 20 in AHL.

3) Fix the playoff format and go back to 1-8 seeding and re-seed after each round.

4) Go to 8 divisions of 4 over 4 divisions of 8

Agreed. I think you'll see divisions get a similar readjustment soon, especially after further expansion. I also do kind of miss the old 1-8 playoff seeding too.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agreed. I think you'll see divisions get a similar readjustment soon, especially after further expansion. I also do kind of miss the old 1-8 playoff seeding too.

There’s no further expansion coming yet.

If they’re adding a team, they actually have to add 2, then 2 more in short succession which they aren’t doing.

Just realign to 4 divisions x 4 teams im each conference.

Ive got a plan for that too. And an Arizona relocation to Utah makes it more logical too.