• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Mika Zibanejad

Phil

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

There’s no further expansion coming yet.

If they’re adding a team, they actually have to add 2, then 2 more in short succession which they aren’t doing.

Just realign to 4 divisions x 4 teams im each conference.

Ive got a plan for that too. And an Arizona relocation to Utah makes it more logical too. 

Yeah, I like the smaller divisions. I know there won't be expansion just yet, but division realignments like that will probably happen when it does occur. Coyotes move to Utah, and then, new teams in Atlanta and maybe Houston?

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I like the smaller divisions. I know there won't be expansion just yet, but division realignments like that will probably happen when it does occur. Coyotes move to Utah, and then, new teams in Atlanta and maybe Houston?

If you add Atlanta and Houston then you need 2 more teams after that. 
1 each in East and West. 

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Hard to say.

Id like to see 4 things amended in next CBA

1) Fix the playoff cap loophole

2) Allow guys under 20 in AHL.

3) Fix the playoff format and go back to 1-8 seeding and re-seed after each round.

4) Go to 8 divisions of 4 over 4 divisions of 8

Three and four are not likely to happen especially three, because the league doesn't want it. I have no idea why they don't, but they don't. Brooks said on his podcast that the NHL wants a bracket scenario and you don't get that with reseeding. 

For number four, curious about where that came from and what problem you're trying to solve for?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Three and four are not likely to happen especially three, because the league doesn't want it. I have no idea why they don't, but they don't. Brooks said on his podcast that the NHL wants a bracket scenario and you don't get that with reseeding. 

For number four, curious about where that came from and what problem you're trying to solve for?

I totally agree with you on point 3. 
But it still doesn’t make sense. But the NHL wants what it wants… though they are actually choosing an inferior system.

I prefer 8 divisions vs 4 cause it limits automatic berths.

The only automatic playoff berths you should experience, especially in the world of the constant 3-point games with the phantom, loser’s point, is as a division champion.

Go to 4 divisions per conference. 4 automatic bids

And allow the remaining 12 teams per conference compete for the remaining 4 playoff berths. 

They aren’t promoting division rivalries. In fact, they are stifling other rivalries from actually developing. 

And what I’d do, it actually makes sense from a geographical and travel standpoint.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I totally agree with you on point 3. 
But it still doesn’t make sense. But the NHL wants what it wants… though they are actually choosing an inferior system.

I prefer 8 divisions vs 4 cause it limits automatic berths.

The only automatic playoff berths you should experience, especially in the world of the constant 3-point games with the phantom, loser’s point, is as a division champion.

Go to 4 divisions per conference. 4 automatic bids

And allow the remaining 12 teams per conference compete for the remaining 4 playoff berths. 

They aren’t promoting division rivalries. In fact, they are stifling other rivalries from actually developing. 

And what I’d do, it actually makes sense from a geographical and travel standpoint.

This is probably better suited for another thread, but I think it's a complex system that isn't solving any existing "problems".

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is probably better suited for another thread, but I think it's a complex system that isn't solving any existing "problems".

We were just talking.

Put it where you want to.

But you can’t deny that 3 point games with the phantom, loser’s point water down the value of playing 82.

As does the number of automatic bids. 

You want people to value the regular season.

Stop handing out automatic bids. Go from 6 to 4. It’s still half of each conference’s total bids.

If you’ve won your division it should be incentivized. 

And the higher seeded teams should play lower seeded ones throughout.

Theyve earned that. 

17 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

We were just talking.

Put it where you want to.

But you can’t deny that 3 point games with the phantom, loser’s point water down the value of playing 82.

As does the number of automatic bids. 

You want people to value the regular season.

Stop handing out automatic bids. Go from 6 to 4. It’s still half of each conference’s total bids.

If you’ve won your division it should be incentivized. 

And the higher seeded teams should play lower seeded ones throughout.

Theyve earned that. 

I can't move it anywhere, I'm not a mod. But this is a Zib thread so we should probably move it back there and away from playoff formats. 

At the very least they need to drop the stupid wild card bullshit.  All of the divisions are even now.  Every team in every division has an equal shot at making the playoffs.  There is no longer a reason to keep the wild card.  Simply make it the top four teams in each division and they can keep their bracket from there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice article from Larry praising Mika.  This stat is pretty amazing:
"During the regular season, the Zibanejad-Kreider PK unit was on for 118:31 in which the Rangers scored six shorthanded goals while allowing eight power-play goals against. Astonishing."

https://nypost.com/2024/04/24/sports/rangers-getting-very-best-of-mika-zibanejad-in-playoffs/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beeski said:

"During the regular season, the Zibanejad-Kreider PK unit was on for 118:31 in which the Rangers scored six shorthanded goals while allowing eight power-play goals against. Astonishing."

https://nypost.com/2024/04/24/sports/rangers-getting-very-best-of-mika-zibanejad-in-playoffs/

Mika is one of the most well-rounded and top centers in the league. Only here is he referred to as "a third liner". 

On 4/25/2024 at 6:55 AM, Beeski said:

That’s fucking crazy 

28 minutes ago, Valriera said:

That’s fucking crazy 

On 4/25/2024 at 9:55 AM, Beeski said:

86% PK kill rate for those two (if my math is correct).