• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It's Time to Talk About Mika Zibanejad

Phil

5 hours ago, fletch said:

Small sample size of 16 games, every player has hot and cold stretches.  Full-stop.  Having said that:

We are making special efforts to jumpstart Wheeler by giving him time with Kreider and Zib and pretending that putting 3 aging vets on the same line is a good strategy.

We are helping Laf by putting him on a line with Panarin.

We are burying Kakko on a checking line with Bonino and Cuylle and pretending that is good for young player development.

Watch the difference in PP1 and PP2 units and observe how much of our offense is reliant on Panarin right now.

Try other combos, how about:

Panarin-Zib-Kakko

Kreider-Trocheck-Laf

Cuylle-Bonino-Wheeler

Emphasis of splitting the youth up with the vets.

Meh. Wheeler has 2 goals in the what? 4- 5 games since being moved up to line 1? 

Kakko just scored too after being moved.

The moves are working for the RWs.

Kreider and Zibanejad? Not so much. Time to split them up. Swap Cuylle and Kreider.  See what happens.  

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

Wheeler and Kakko truly flat out stink. Neither helps at all, laugh all you want but Vesey is a guy who never stops and right now is a much better player than both Wheelsareoff and Krappo. What to make another change to that line do that.  I wouldn't touch the Panarin line unless it goes ice cold. Don't mess with the one line that's producing especially now that Laugh has found something alongside Artemi.

I’m on board with Vesey over Wheeler.

We’re stuck with what Kakko gives you for now though.

• Keeps it 100 1

27 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’m on board with Vesey over Wheeler.

We’re stuck with what Kakko gives you for now though.

Sorta, yeah. For now, at least. It's a separate convo, but I'm at the point where he's not holding up a trade for me. If the team can get a player who can help them now and the cost is him, pack your bags, bro.

• Keeps it 100 2

Vesey did well with Kreider last year. This seems like a good idea; not sure why we haven't tried anything to jump start the guy. Staying the course is great for a little bit but eventually something has to give. Wheeler is slllooowww and does not complement that line AT ALL. Vesey is the answer or hell.....switch Cuylle to the right and try him up there.

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Wheeler may not fit in the top 9 but he absolutely does not fit on the checking line that Laviolette chooses to have on the ice in tight spots and in the defensive zone.

I agree, but if they're committed to playing him, it's come to the point where you have to slap him where he can do the least amount of damage and that's the fourth line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

No sir, @The Dude has the hard on for Wheeler. 

I have a hard on for players signed to good value contracts. Kreider fits the description.

corvette deal with it GIF

4 points in his last 6 games. 

Why are we complaining about this guy again?

He's producing at even strength. Zibanejad and Kreider aren't.  He's getting chances. He's going to the front of the net and is often open in the slot, yet isn't fed the puck. He's not his former self, but he's also not the issue on that line. 

Edited by The Dude

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Meh. Wheeler has 2 goals in the what? 4- 5 games since being moved up to line 1? 

Kakko just scored too after being move

I guess.

1 of Wheeler's was an empty net, Kakko's last night was an absolute prayer from behind the net that went in off a dallas stick blade that if I remember correctly wasn't even close to being on the ice?? I mean I think nobody was more surprised than he was (Sam doesn't count).

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I agree, but if they're committed to playing him, it's come to the point where you have to slap him where he can do the least amount of damage and that's the fourth line. 

That's not the least damage he can do.  Laviolette uses that line in a way that having Wheeler on it would be more damage than on any other line.

Jimmy Vesey has 20% OZ starts.  Goodrow has 18.6% OZ starts.  Bonino has started to go up a bit since switching to line 3 but he has 23.9% OZ starts.

That line is sent in to win face-offs in the DZ and get the puck up the ice.  They're sent in to play pressing defense and keep things together.

You give Wheeler anything approaching that percentage of DZ starts and the Rangers are going to be giving up more goals than they are and they're going to be having a lot more trouble moving the puck down the ice without icing it in the process.

4 hours ago, jsrangers said:

I guess.

1 of Wheeler's was an empty net, Kakko's last night was an absolute prayer from behind the net that went in off a dallas stick blade that if I remember correctly wasn't even close to being on the ice?? I mean I think nobody was more surprised than he was (Sam doesn't count).

Kakko’s face afterwards was the face I make after eating dicey Mexican food, ripping a questionable fart where there’s a chance it’s a shart, only to find out it wasn’t and I’m clean. Yeah, I’m clean, and I’m relieved, but I feel I don’t really deserve it. Undeserving relief. That face.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • LMFAO 2

5 hours ago, jsrangers said:

I guess.

True about the Kakko goal. Was a fluke, but it still counts and it wasn't a typical spot where you'd find Kakko in such situations. He was infront of the net.  He really needed to just get one. Hopefully it gets the monkey off his back and he is figuring out other ways to get goals besides what he's been trying. 

Wheelers EN was a beaut. The Rangers have greatly improved on getting the puck on net for EN goals this season.

Still. Take that away, 3 points in 6. 5 games with Kreider and Zibanejad in that span. The production has gone up since the switch. Not so much for Zibanejad  though. 

I think they are building a bit of chemistry. The stats prove it. Maybe not the fancy stats. But production is there. 

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

That's not the least damage he can do.  Laviolette uses that line in a way that having Wheeler on it would be more damage than on any other line.

Jimmy Vesey has 20% OZ starts.  Goodrow has 18.6% OZ starts.  Bonino has started to go up a bit since switching to line 3 but he has 23.9% OZ starts.

That line is sent in to win face-offs in the DZ and get the puck up the ice.  They're sent in to play pressing defense and keep things together.

You give Wheeler anything approaching that percentage of DZ starts and the Rangers are going to be giving up more goals than they are and they're going to be having a lot more trouble moving the puck down the ice without icing it in the process.

When Wheeler was on Trochecks 3rd line, I think they were used in a more defensive manner, such as this. They did just fine. Just weren't producing across the board. 

The Wheeler hate is a bit of an exaggeration. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kakko’s face afterwards was the face I make after eating dicey Mexican food, ripping a questionable fart where there’s a chance it’s a shart, only to find out it wasn’t and I’m clean. Yeah, I’m clean, and I’m relieved, but I feel I don’t really deserve it. Undeserving relief. That face.

Funny you mention this. That's exactly why I'm up at 1:50 am.

Except it WAS a shart. Thankfully I was in the bathroom already for a convenient 1:30 pee, when I need to be up at 3:15 for work .

• LMFAO 2

6 hours ago, Br4d said:

Yeah, I don't need to be educated on any of this. I'm well aware. As I already said, if they're committed to playing him, he can't be in the top nine. 

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, Zibby isn’t the heart and soul of anything. That’s almost as unrealistic as the idea of trading him.

Why can’t we just recognize him as a good two way player? The underrating and overrating of what he brings isn’t doing him or the team any favors.

So far he’s been a one way player.  He’s paid to bring offense, so until he starts producing we’ll keep bitching. 

• Like 1