• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

48 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree. I don't think they should care about the President's Trophy, EC 1 seed, or even the division that much. Home ice has shown to be a slight advantage, but just ask the Bruins why it's not the end all be all, or worth going balls to the wall chasing those kinds of things. A team can do more damage to their odds of winning by exhausting themselves down the stretch, then they would gain with home ice.

They at least have home ice locked up in R1. The irony is a Rangers/Caps matchup is looking like a 50/50 proposition right now. Lavi's former team.

Winning the Presidents Trophy is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, especially when the "home ice advantage" we'd cede is to a team like Carolina. We know we can take over that barn. I'd like them to rest players that need it, maybe the ones nursing minor injuries. I do not want to see the Rangers try to galaxy-brain a matchup, though. I do not care if the first round opponents is the Flyers, the Caps, the Lightning, whomever else. I just want us to fuckin' truck that first round opponent and keep it moving. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I'm not speaking for anyone. I said the coaching staff sees him differently. Undoubtedly they have an opinion of Kakko that you don't share. I don't think their actions have said something else. I think they have said exactly that. You wouldn't have put Kakko back with Zib and Kreider after his injury, but they did.

Again, Kakko missed like 2 months. He doesn't need a breather. So when you say you don't know why Kakko shouldn't be in a rotation of who sits, that's the answer. He doesn't need the rest.

And you're doubling down on speaking for the coaching staff. I understand it is your view, and that's fine, but I don't know why you feel the need to make it more than that.

It's a combination of breather and/or making sure other guys in the press box are getting some minutes to stay fresh. I don't see why Kakko should be immune to being taken out for a game.

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Winning the Presidents Trophy is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, especially when the "home ice advantage" we'd cede is to a team like Carolina. We know we can take over that barn. I'd like them to rest players that need it, maybe the ones nursing minor injuries. I do not want to see the Rangers try to galaxy-brain a matchup, though. I do not care if the first round opponents is the Flyers, the Caps, the Lightning, whomever else. I just want us to fuckin' truck that first round opponent and keep it moving. 

Yep. Carolina and Florida would have plenty of Ranger representation in the crowds, that's for sure. Boston lost 2 series clinching games at home last year.

I'd take the fresher legs, but that's just me. And hey, there's quality players who are coming out of the press box if/when someone sits. We aren't talking about useless players like Kevin Rooney and Dryden Hunt coming into the lineup here.

33 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

And you're doubling down on speaking for the coaching staff. I understand it is your view, and that's fine, but I don't know why you feel the need to make it more than that.

It's a combination of breather and/or making sure other guys in the press box are getting some minutes to stay fresh. I don't see why Kakko should be immune to being taken out for a game.

Nah, I'm not making it more. I didn't say they're coaching staff views him the way I do. I just said they view him differently than you do, and they do apparently. 

Same thing with Miller. You wouldn't play him up against the top opponents every night, but Lavvy does.

Not sure why that's an issue to point out.

You're saying You don't know why Kakko is immune to sitting. If the point of sitting players is to rest them, he doesn't need the rest. 

Edited by Pete

Looks like the Caps are going to over take the Flyers.  If so I much rather finish in first in the conference and play the Flyers than play either the Lightning or Caps.  Resting players is great but having an easier first round opponent is more important in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah, I'm not making it more. I didn't say they're coaching staff views him the way I do. I just said they view him differently than you do, and they do apparently. 

Same thing with Miller. You wouldn't play him up against the top opponents every night, but Lavvy does.

Not sure why that's an issue to point out.

You're saying You don't know why Kakko is immune to sitting. If the point of sitting players is to rest them, he doesn't need the rest. 

How do you know they view him differently? Is it the career low in TOI, getting booted out of the top 6 multiple times, and Drury trading for a top 6 replacement not indicative of how they feel about him?

Who else is he supposed to play? Zac Jones top pairing minutes?

It's no issue to point out differing opinions. I don't see why you think it's necessary to tell me what the coaching staff thinks, like you have an inside scoop?

The last sentence is your opinion, and I kind of agree. Looking more at Kakko's minutes, he's already been reduced down significantly. 12 minutes a night. He shouldn't be tired, so I'll walk back more earlier insinuation that he needs a breather. My main overarching point is that if they want a rotation of players getting minutes so nobody gets rusty, and they've already had 2-3 others taken their turn sitting, Kakko shouldn't be immune to joining the rotation. He's basically in the same bucket of players.

38 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Looks like the Caps are going to over take the Flyers.  If so I much rather finish in first in the conference and play the Flyers than play either the Lightning or Caps.  Resting players is great but having an easier first round opponent is more important in my opinion. 

I actually wouldn't mind the Caps, or Flyers. Lightning worry me the most.......depending which Lightning team shows up.

31 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

How do you know they view him differently? Is it the career low in TOI, getting booted out of the top 6 multiple times, and Drury trading for a top 6 replacement not indicative of how they feel about him?

Who else is he supposed to play? Zac Jones top pairing minutes?

It's no issue to point out differing opinions. I don't see why you think it's necessary to tell me what the coaching staff thinks, like you have an inside scoop?

I think you're making this a bigger deal than it is. I didn't say I had any kind of scoop. I said the coaching staff views players differently that you (AKA a fan). That should not be something that's debated. I'm literally pointing out that none of us have the scoop, so if they are doing something (not NOT doing something), it's because they have their own POV that you....or let me go more generally...no fans are really privvy to.

The last sentence is your opinion, and I kind of agree. Looking more at Kakko's minutes, he's already been reduced down significantly. 12 minutes a night. He shouldn't be tired, so I'll walk back more earlier insinuation that he needs a breather. My main overarching point is that if they want a rotation of players getting minutes so nobody gets rusty, and they've already had 2-3 others taken their turn sitting, Kakko shouldn't be immune to joining the rotation. He's basically in the same bucket of players.

Well I think the point is he isn't in the same bucket of players. He needs the reps, more than say Brodz or Cullye, because they have played more and he's been injured (across his entire career, really) so he still needs the work. Rempe is likely on a platoon basis regardless, especially for the playoffs.

Overall it seems more like you want to turn this thread into a hit job on Kakko instead of "who should rest". I'd suggest Mika, Kreider, among forwards, would need a rest before Kakko, strictly based on [difficult] minutes played.

Edited by Pete

I'd give Fox a few games off honestly but that might prove difficult with the injuries to D right now. Guy is playing well but he looks kinda spent.

And then yea I would go panarin, zib, ck and even trochek alternating games. Its a rough schedule no point in killing these guys now when we need them later.

15 minutes ago, siddious said:

I'd give Fox a few games off honestly but that might prove difficult with the injuries to D right now. Guy is playing well but he looks kinda spent.

And then yea I would go panarin, zib, ck and even trochek alternating games. Its a rough schedule no point in killing these guys now when we need them later.

I'm looking at the last week of the season...maybe that's the spot for Fox to squat a bit.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

They aren’t sitting any of the top players until the standings become clearer.  Games are too important now to just rest someone for the sake of it.  There’s definitely a big difference between playing the Flyers, Wings or Caps then playing the Lightning.  
Rangers final regular season game is 4/15 against Ottawa and the playoffs are starting 4/22.  More than likely the top players aren’t playing the last game.  Gives them a week to rest and get ready for playoffs.  

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you're making this a bigger deal than it is. I didn't say I had any kind of scoop. I said the coaching staff views players differently that you (AKA a fan). That should not be something that's debated. I'm literally pointing out that none of us have the scoop, so if they are doing something (not NOT doing something), it's because they have their own POV that you....or let me go more generally...no fans are really privvy to.

Well I think the point is he isn't in the same bucket of players. He needs the reps, more than say Brodz or Cullye, because they have played more and he's been injured (across his entire career, really) so he still needs the work. Rempe is likely on a platoon basis regardless, especially for the playoffs.

Overall it seems more like you want to turn this thread into a hit job on Kakko instead of "who should rest". I'd suggest Mika, Kreider, among forwards, would need a rest before Kakko, strictly based on [difficult] minutes played.

Well you've verbatim said two or three times now that the coaching staff views him differently than I do. How do you know? That requires you to know how they view him. It seems they view him like a 3rd line player like I do though.

So you interpret what I've said as a hit job on Kakko because I think he could be rotated out of the lineup for a game if a guy like Cuylle can be rotated? Is that all this is? You having a knight in shining armor moment here?

43 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yup Fox is the biggest one I was talking about finding a break for, but yeah with 3 of their starting defensemen hurt now it’s probably not in the cards.

Lindgren should just stay out until the playoffs. With our luck he’d just come back in game 79 for some reps, and break his foot blocking a shot on the PK with 2 minutes left in a 3-0 game. The guy just doesn’t have a “take it easy” switch

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yup Fox is the biggest one I was talking about finding a break for, but yeah with 3 of their starting defensemen hurt now it’s probably not in the cards.

Lindgren should just stay out until the playoffs. With our luck he’d just come back in game 79 for some reps, and break his foot blocking a shot on the PK with 2 minutes left in a 3-0 game. The guy just doesn’t have a “take it easy” switch

He should breathe on Kreider!!  LOL

• LMFAO 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

As I was typing it I was like “this gonna be a Glider softball for somebody” lmao

You lob it up there, it's getting whacked!!!  LOL

I couldn't resist

• LOL 1

Other than Colorado the Rangers should win the rest of their remaining games.  No reason not to get on a roll to close out the season. 
Philly, Colorado, Arizona, Pittsburgh, NJ, Detroit, Montreal, Isles, Philly, Isles and Ottawa.  

• Believe 1

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agree, he has benefitted by being a RW and has been given opportunities because of it.  He's still just a guy. I would take Cullye in his first year over Kakko in his 5th.  We've seen his reps for years and not much has changed. It's kinda sad now. Don't think he should be immune from the deck shuffling down the stretch.  I believe he's scoring at the exact same pace as Cullye. 

• Cheers 1

The playoffs may change the perception that Kakko is on his way out of town this summer.  It will take some really good play from him to make that happen.

At a certain point you just need to accept the #2OA sunk cost and start putting effort into developing players, who, uh, develop.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Well you've verbatim said two or three times now that the coaching staff views him differently than I do. How do you know? That requires you to know how they view him. It seems they view him like a 3rd line player like I do though.

So you interpret what I've said as a hit job on Kakko because I think he could be rotated out of the lineup for a game if a guy like Cuylle can be rotated? Is that all this is? You having a knight in shining armor moment here?

I just step out here because you're just looking for an argument and you're not looking for a conversation. 

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Agree, he has benefitted by being a RW and has been given opportunities because of it.  He's still just a guy. I would take Cullye in his first year over Kakko in his 5th.  We've seen his reps for years and not much has changed. It's kinda sad now. Don't think he should be immune from the deck shuffling down the stretch.  I believe he's scoring at the exact same pace as Cullye. 

Well that's what I mean by the coaches having a different POV.

Giving players a break is not meant to punish them, that's your motive, not theirs. 

If it's simply about keeping players fresh, then there's no point in rotating beyond Cuylle, Brodz, and Rempe. They're the only rookies. 

35 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It was never a conversation. You clearly had an agenda and you tipped your hand.

I did have an agenda. It was to explain to you that if you don't understand why a player isn't sitting, it's likely because the coach views it differently then you do. You took issue with that, and I don't know why, but it doesn't matter.