• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

On 2/27/2024 at 4:25 PM, The Dude said:

If you're going to mess with the lines. Mess with the lines. 20/93 need to be separated and it's very obvious.  The comfort level is too high for them. I don't understand why they haven't been separated. 

Country Club.  Can't stop the boys from playing with each other.

38 minutes ago, siddious said:

A lot of interesting tidbits from Vince Mercoglianos podcast this morning. I was driving as I was listening so I am paraphrasing/recalling so forgive any errors in advance but…

Rempe- apparently the team has talked to him about not necessarily fighting all the time. Sounds like they like his game but he’s the obvious odd man out if deadline deals work out. There’s some concern over whether  he’s an nhl level player in the long run. I personally like what I’ve seen so I dunno if those concerns are shared by everyone but Vince brings it up. We had discussed his speed on here apparently goodrow mentioned to Vince that Rempe was one of the fastest guys during testing at training camp. Goodrow also mentioned defenders are adjusting their game seeing two massive hulks skating in on the forecheck. 

deadline- Vince keeps beating the SJ drum. Thinks there’s more of a fit with them than the ducks. The Grier connection makes sense. Sounds like everyone on that team is up for grabs. Sounds like the ducks are asking for a lot for vatrano and Henrique. Seattle and the flyers while also asking for a lot are also not rushing to sell their players. Thinks both center and rw are both still being discussed rather than 1 or the other. All but confirmed Buch won’t be a ranger again. Thinks Drury is going to be aggressive. Rightly points out this is the time to win. 

Assets- said he got the impression that Perrault and Othman are off the table for any trades but essentially all other assets aren’t. Mentioned moving the 1st rounder multiple times so that story about it being off the table sounds like BS.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/02/29/why-the-rangers-will-be-aggressive-at-the-nhl-trade-deadline/72788597007/

Zucker and Bjugstad are the SJ players that I think might fit.  Maybe....

25 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Nothing beats getting an alert on my phone that the Rangers made a transaction only to find out they re-signed Connor Mackey

I'm liking that alert!!! 

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

I don't mind the move, but wasn't phone alert worthy.

We should get alerts when the wings and beers go on 2 for 1 nights.  That's phone worthy!

• Cheers 2
  • BREAD! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Not that we’re counting on him to be a 25-goal guy. But, one? And that one came in the dying seconds of a blowout loss in November. And on top of that, his defensive game hasn’t been what it has been in the past.

I have always liked Goodrow. I liked the signing and thought it was necessary to bring guys with experience into the room when we did it. And I even didn’t bat an eye at his AAV when the deal was then signed because I felt he would come close to matching his worth a good chunk of the length of it.

That said, with guys like Cuylle emerging, it’s coming to that point where I think Drury is going to need to make a decision on him fairly early come the off-season. Because the well looks pretty dry right now. I know he’s the type of guy you want on your side in a playoff series. And maybe he will find his strider by then and play a more complete game and be who he once was. But man, I hate to go to the goal totals with a player like this, but 1? 1?!

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Not that we’re counting on him to be a 25-goal guy. But, one? And that one came in the dying seconds of a blowout loss in November. And on top of that, his defensive game hasn’t been what it has been in the past.

I have always liked Goodrow. I liked the signing and thought it was necessary to bring guys with experience into the room when we did it. And I even didn’t bat an eye at his AAV when the deal was then signed because I felt he would come close to matching his worth a good chunk of the length of it.

That said, with guys like Cuylle emerging, it’s coming to that point where I think Drury is going to need to make a decision on him fairly early come the off-season. Because the well looks pretty dry right now. I know he’s the type of guy you want on your side in a playoff series. And maybe he will find his strider by then and play a more complete game and be who he once was. But man, I hate to go to the goal totals with a player like this, but 1? 1?!

I have never been a Goodrow apologist, but games like last night's make me feel like this doesn't matter too much. Goodrow was noticeable in good ways. He got in front of shots, took away lanes, and made smart plays.

He's a guy you use almost exclusively in defensive situations, and he excels as that guy. Yeah, he makes too much for his boxcars or his advanced stats, but I'm willing to tolerate it for this playoff run at the very least because I think his value shines through when the ice gets smaller and the stakes get higher.

This is cliche. It isn't backed up by the numbers. I know that. And still, it's cliche for a reason.

• Keeps it 100 2

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Guys has 80.2 percent D zone starts and was playing with guys who ultimately got waived. Now he's with 2 rooks.

The numbers are bad. But there are reasons.

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I have never been a Goodrow apologist, but games like last night's make me feel like this doesn't matter too much. Goodrow was noticeable in good ways. He got in front of shots, took away lanes, and made smart plays.

He's a guy you use almost exclusively in defensive situations, and he excels as that guy. Yeah, he makes too much for his boxcars or his advanced stats, but I'm willing to tolerate it for this playoff run at the very least because I think his value shines through when the ice gets smaller and the stakes get higher.

This is cliche. It isn't backed up by the numbers. I know that. And still, it's cliche for a reason.

I see your point for sure. Players like him can’t be measured strictly by what the scoresheet says about them. I get that.

And he did play well last night. I’m not 100% doom and gloom with him.

All I’m saying is that the intangibles he does bring, have slipped a bit this year. And that, coupled with his cap hit and literal lack of any offensive capabilities, point to us having an off-season issue Drury is going to have to address IMO.

But believe me, I agree. If he can play like he did last night come playoffs, I’d be fine with it.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I see your point for sure. Players like him can’t be measured strictly by what the scoresheet says about them. 

And he did play well last night. I’m not 100% doom and gloom with him.

All I’m saying is that the intangibles he does bring, have slipped a bit this year. And that, coupled with his cap hit and literal lack of any offensive capabilities, point to us having an off-season issue Drury is going to have to address IMO.

But believe me, I agree. If he can play like he did last night come playoffs, I’d be fine with it.

I don't know if there's a world where Goodrow is on this team next year. His buyout is just not prohibitive at all. The only year his contract significantly exceeds league minimum in a buyout circumstance is the one year we can unequivocally take the hit (all we would need is for Trouba and Panarin to each agree to a 1m/y pay cut, and both will agree to bigger cuts than that if they want to stay). 

But, for now? Eh. Not worth bringing up the offseason until, I hope, mid-June.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

This is why I’m so on board to get wennberg or a guy like him. Goodrow is not the defensive center that I thought he’d be. Going into the playoffs with Goodrow at 3c and Brodzinski (a newly converted center) at 4c leaves me feeling very leery.  In a perfect world, I make the trade for wennberg today, give Goodrow off the game against St. Louis for rest, and roll Brodz between Rempe and Erdstrom.  Play Goodrow the next game between those two and try Brodz on MZ’s right.

Edited by Kevin
Typo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This is why I’m so on board to get wennberg or a guy like him. Goodrow is not the defensive center that I thought he’d be. Going into the playoffs with Goodrow at 3c and Brodzinski (a newly converted center) at 4c leaves me feeling very leery.  In a perfect world, I make the trade for wennberg today, give Goodrow off the game against St. Louis for rest, and roll Brodz between Rempe and Erdstrom.  Play Goodrow the next game between those two and try Brodz on MZ’s right.

I agree that Wennberg is an upgrade on the current bottom 6 C situation. He's defensively sound, has good size, and could be sneaky good offensively (I think he will do well with Cuylle and Kakko).

Frankly, I'm over the Jonny Good Vibes Brodz story. He's not the answer to 3C or 1RW in the playoffs. He's regular season filler. He's a guy you can get TO the playoffs with but he's not a guy who will get you THROUGH the playoffs.

The realistic shopping list is Vatrano and Wennberg.

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, siddious said:

The asking price for Vatrano is apparently very high. If thats the route Drury goes I am not so sure some of us wont be upset by whats given up.

Skip Vatrano. Go get Reilly Smith. 

9 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Can we just all agree on one thing?

We will not freak out when Matt Rempe, Will Cuylle, and Adam Edstrom are all sent to Hartford on Friday for the "playoff eligibility paper transactions"

Fuck...I just asked this question in the other thread!!!

LOL

10 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Can we just all agree on one thing?

We will not freak out when Matt Rempe, Will Cuylle, and Adam Edstrom are all sent to Hartford on Friday for the "playoff eligibility paper transactions"

...and yes, At least we know what's going on!  I agree!  You have my word, G!

Was thinking this morning with the Islanders creeping into the playoff picture would it be better to finish in 2nd place and play the Flyers instead of 1st and possibly playing the Islanders who we always seem to struggle against.

34 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Was thinking this morning with the Islanders creeping into the playoff picture would it be better to finish in 2nd place and play the Flyers instead of 1st and possibly playing the Islanders who we always seem to struggle against.

Are you suggesting that they intentionally lose or are you just commenting on it?

Every team is coming after the Rangers, they're the first place in the Metro all season. There are no easy opponents. 

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Are you suggesting that they intentionally lose or are you just commenting on it?

Every team is coming after the Rangers, they're the first place in the Metro all season. There are no easy opponents. 

Just an observation.  I would never suggest losing on purpose.  

• Cheers 1

Not to be a doomer but I think Drury has completely gutted our draft capital for the new few years and this team still isnt deep enough to win a cup.

Aging core and slim draft capital the next 3 years= we may be looking at early 2000's Ranger dark ages real soon and no cup to make it easier to deal with.

8 minutes ago, BreakawayMachine said:

Not to be a doomer but I think Drury has completely gutted our draft capital for the new few years and this team still isnt deep enough to win a cup.

Aging core and slim draft capital the next 3 years= we may be looking at early 2000's Ranger dark ages real soon and no cup to make it easier to deal with.

Nah. Easy to recoup those assets during our own fire sale.