• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There was no coaching for the last two years. That's part of the problem also. 

This is such a bullshit line at this point.

You can argue that GG and his staff weren't as forceful and demanding as Laviolette and his staff have been and I'm all in with you but suggesting that GG and company weren't trying to get the players to do something different is completely off.

We hear GG say over and over again in post-game pressers that the players knew what they had to do.  The unsaid part was that they weren't doing it.

Now we see the Rangers going off script against other teams and suffering for it and we know what GG was dealing with.

BTW, this post-season interview period will be interesting if the Rangers have troubles again.  Can't go back to blaming the coach for the third coach in a row because Drury won't be listening to that he'll be taking notes on who has to go and nobody will be off-limits.

20 minutes ago, Br4d said:

We hear GG say over and over again in post-game pressers that the players knew what they had to do.  The unsaid part was that they weren't doing it.

I'm sure he certainly believed that, but it apparently wasn't the case, and it's been well reported. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The only way this is going to work is if they split every power play, or the first power play goes to PP1 for 1:40, the next power play goes to PP2 for 1:40, etc.

And what does Lavi do for the next powerplay if the first power play unit on the ice nets a goal, or what does he do if one of the powerplay units is clearly more successful than the other? You can't keep Panarin or Fox off the main PP unit long term.

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

And what does Lavi do for the next powerplay if the first power play unit on the ice nets a goal, or what does he do if one of the powerplay units is clearly more successful than the other? You can't keep Panarin or Fox off the main PP unit long term.

Well that stuff will all work itself out. With one unit isn't successful then they will distinguish themselves as the second unit.

You'd have to think that right off the bat, whichever unit has Panarin is actually the first unit. 

This is the second thing that has me scratching my head regarding Laviolette (The first is him not separating MZ and CK), I don't think that this is a move you make in practice and that you revamp the whole unit. I think you tell the power play that if they don't shoot after the third pass, they're not going to play. Then you start removing the offending parties one by one during the game. 

The thing about the way these units are constructed is that I'm not sure anybody has a real role. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well that stuff will all work itself out. With one unit isn't successful then they will distinguish themselves as the second unit.

You'd have to think that right off the bat, whichever unit has Panarin is actually the first unit. 

This is the second thing that has me scratching my head regarding Laviolette (The first is him not separating MZ and CK), I don't think that this is a move you make in practice and that you revamp the whole unit. I think you tell the power play that if they don't shoot after the third pass, they're not going to play. Then you start removing the offending parties one by one during the game. 

The thing about the way these units are constructed is that I'm not sure anybody has a real role. 

It should have started with removing Trocheck. I mentioned the other day to remove Trocheck for Lafreniere, and put Zibanejad in a floating role to look for different angles to free himself up for a shot. Everyone knows him sitting there waiting for a one timer on the left boards is a stale play. Panarin goes back to the left boards where he always was during his career, including when he first started with the Rangers, and Lafreniere goes to the right. This version of Panarin who shoots the puck is much more well suited to be able to walk in from the left boards and have that shooting angle.

Kreider

Panarin-Zibanejad-Lafreniere

Fox

Zibanejad could look for one timers by floating between the middle slot, low right side below Panarin, and the point. The left board spot where the one timer was being taken might have been stale, but the quality of the one timer is not. It is a wicked weapon to have, but he's got to have some freedom to rotate around and find more open spots on the ice for it.

1 hour ago, BreakawayMachine said:

This has been a problem for decades it seems. Hell I remember Christopher Reeve's even giving a speech during some award ceremony at MSG and him saying he yells "shoot!" at the TV.  Its such an ingrained problem here. Always looking for fancy passes instead of throwing pucks at the net.

LOL  I remember that!!  He's not alone!  I do it all night long as well.  Fucking team is so frustrating when they pull that shit.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

It should have started with removing Trocheck. I mentioned the other day to remove Trocheck for Lafreniere, and put Zibanejad in a floating role to look for different angles to free himself up for a shot. Everyone knows him sitting there waiting for a one timer on the left boards is a stale play. Panarin goes back to the left boards where he always was during his career, including when he first started with the Rangers, and Lafreniere goes to the right. This version of Panarin who shoots the puck is much more well suited to be able to walk in from the left boards and have that shooting angle.

Kreider

Panarin-Zibanejad-Lafreniere

Fox

Zibanejad could look for one timers by floating between the middle slot, low right side below Panarin, and the point. The left board spot where the one timer was being taken might have been stale, but the quality of the one timer is not. It is a wicked weapon to have, but he's got to have some freedom to rotate around and find more open spots on the ice for it.

I've got no problem with this, and I think the strategy is there except you've got Gus and Kakko out there too. There's some part of me that thinks Lavvy grouped a lot of guys who are willing to shoot on one power play and a lot of guys who aren't willing to shoot on the other one. He'll probably go out there and say "which one do you think will have more success?"

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Dallas helps the Rangers out with a regulation win over Carolina. Thanks for the help fellas.

Never too early to look at the Out Of Town Scoreboard.

I was literally doing the same thing and had the same thought!

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Dallas helps the Rangers out with a regulation win over Carolina. Thanks for the help fellas.

Never too early to look at the Out Of Town Scoreboard.

This is around the time where I start really looking at what's going on. Dallas did us a huge solid last night.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

ahhh, he's butt hurt!  (Lower body injury, I mean!)  😉

And with that, "Lower Body Injury" official becomes code on the board!  (For example: "this guy has suffered more Lower Body Injuries than any player since Dennis Potvin")

• LOL 1