• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

If Rempe makes his debut on Sunday, he'll be doing it on the anniversary of his father's unexpected passing. Can't think of a better way to make dad proud. Rooting for the kid to make his debut on the big stage.

We have a special bond. We’re all so, so close.”

Which made Feb. 18, 2018, so hard to comprehend.

While Steph and her twin sister, Alley, were playing hockey for Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, and the youngest kid, Matt, was attending the Okanagan Hockey Academy in Penticton, B.C., Dad died of a heart attack. He was 61 years old.

https://theathletic.com/1909446/2020/09/08/prospect-matt-rempes-late-blooming-push-hes-on-this-exponential-curve/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

If Rempe makes his debut on Sunday, he'll be doing it on the anniversary of his father's unexpected passing. Can't think of a better way to make dad proud. Rooting for the kid to make his debut on the big stage.

https://theathletic.com/1909446/2020/09/08/prospect-matt-rempes-late-blooming-push-hes-on-this-exponential-curve/

I hope he has a Gordie

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Panarin, I’m sure, is from the shot he took off the foot. That looked painful. Benn can fire it. Thankful that he was fine. Day off won’t hurt.

Yup, that shit stings!  Probably a bone bruise or some kinda thing like that.  Vesey is a beast too....I don't think he's too banged up.  He was playing until the last minute last night too.

Sounds like a "maintenance day"....they can use it!

On 2/21/2024 at 12:14 PM, Ozzy said:

Yup, that shit stings!  Probably a bone bruise or some kinda thing like that.  Vesey is a beast too....I don't think he's too banged up.  He was playing until the last minute last night too.

Sounds like a "maintenance day"....they can use it!

They are both too hot right now to miss any time.

Panarin is having a season for the ages.  Good times

I don't think Cuylle and Brodz need Kakko. Vesey is a hard worker and I think will fit that line too. I'm not too worried about that.

I don't know how many times Kakko has to be tried with KZ to know it isn't a fit though. I know it's late in the season, but I'd really want to take these exact lines and just flip Kakko and Lafreniere. There's nothing that says you can't flip it back.

• Applause 1

57 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't think Cuylle and Brodz need Kakko. Vesey is a hard worker and I think will fit that line too. I'm not too worried about that.

I don't know how many times Kakko has to be tried with KZ to know it isn't a fit though. I know it's late in the season, but I'd really want to take these exact lines and just flip Kakko and Lafreniere. There's nothing that says you can't flip it back.

Totally agree, or...Hear me out...SPLIT UP CK AND MZ.

It's the only thing that hasn't been tried to jumpstart them at 5v5.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Totally agree, or...Hear me out...SPLIT UP CK AND MZ.

It's the only thing that hasn't been tried to jumpstart them at 5v5.

I think it just might be short term.  I'm thinking it's until we get Tank back.

I can totally agree with getting Kreider away from Zib at 5 v 5 though

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Ugh I liked Kakko with Cuylle.  Him and Kreider are like oil and water.

I think this will be the last time to see if it sticks....if it doesnt work.......again......Drury will be on the phone w/ Anaheim about Vatrano

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

I think this will be the last time to see if it sticks....if it doesnt work.......again......Drury will be on the phone w/ Anaheim about Vatrano

I'm with ya, Blue!  I just think it's gonna be Tank, since he's a UFA rental, and that could be cheaper.  I wouldn't mind Frankie V, but that puts a bit of a limit on Kakko for next season being Vatrano has another year left.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm with ya, Blue!  I just think it's gonna be Tank, since he's a UFA rental, and that could be cheaper.  I wouldn't mind Frankie V, but that puts a bit of a limit on Kakko for next season being Vatrano has another year left.

I'm good with either, problem is, if they go with Tank, we'll be back where we are next season trying to fill a hole at the trade deadline.  You acquire Vatrano, one less hole to fill next season.  

Just now, Blue Heaven said:

I'm good with either, problem is, if they go with Tank, we'll be back where we are next season trying to fill a hole at the trade deadline.  You acquire Vatrano, one less hole to fill next season.  

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 2

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I do.  Krappo was the driver on that line.  He's the reason that line produced.  With Vesey on it, the line wont produce shit.  

Krappo is playing with all time confidence right now.  He's making things happen on the third line.  I think putting him on the KZ line will be a much better fit than before.  

I'd do it just to try it, but there's no magical answer to fix the issues IMO because both players suck at 5v5 and the options to reform the pairs aren't much better.

You're not robbing from the Bread line, so it's basically Cuylle up to Zib and Kreider down to Brodzinski. I'd expect similar on-ice results at 5v5 (aka nothing).

9 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

I do.  Krappo was the driver on that line.  He's the reason that line produced.  With Vesey on it, the line wont produce shit.  

Krappo is playing with all time confidence right now.  He's making things happen on the third line.  I think putting him on the KZ line will be a much better fit than before.  

Cuylle-Brodzinski has produced with or without Kakko. That's why I think they'll be ok. Kakko joined a pairing that was already good together, and credit to him for making it even better. I'd have just kept that line cooking and mess with the other ones instead. The Panarin line is so good offensively, but almost equally bad defensively. I don't think it should be off limits to change that line anymore, but I don't blame Lavi for not sticking with it either.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'd do it just to try it, but there's no magical answer to fix the issues IMO because both players suck at 5v5 and the options to reform the pairs aren't much better.

You're not robbing from the Bread line, so it's basically Cuylle up to Zib and Kreider down to Brodzinski. I'd expect similar on-ice results at 5v5 (aka nothing).

Kreider is 2nd in 5v5 goals by a healthy margin. I'm just not a buyer that the answer to improved 5v5 is play him less, and play him with Brodzinski. If you're moving Kreider off Zibanejad's line, it should be to play with Trocheck, and we're back to talking about breaking up the Panarin line again, which should probably happen for a spell but won't.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kreider is 2nd in 5v5 goals by a healthy margin. I'm just not a buyer that the answer to improved 5v5 is play him less, and play him with Brodzinski. If you're moving Kreider off Zibanejad's line, it should be to play with Trocheck, and we're back to talking about breaking up the Panarin line again, which should probably happen for a spell but won't.

Kreider doesn't generate the 5v5 goals. He's most often the beneficiary of the work everyone else is doing. So getting him less TOI on a line that gets more pucks to the net is still a net benefit.

Laviolette will find opportunity to move CK back up. But he has to be moved off MZ's line. It needs to be tried.

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zibanejad is the problem, not Kreider. I'm in no hurry to kill what works to fix what doesn't, but if they're hell bent on it, I'd just invert lines one and two.

Kreider-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle-Brodzinski has produced with or without Kakko. That's why I think they'll be ok. Kakko joined a pairing that was already good together, and credit to him for making it even better. I'd have just kept that line cooking and mess with the other ones instead. The Panarin line is so good offensively, but almost equally bad defensively. I don't think it should be off limits to change that line anymore, but I don't blame Lavi for not sticking with it either.

i guess we'll see tomorrow.  I want to see how Kakko does with KZ this time around.  I have confidence he'll do well.  But any line Vesey, other than the 4th line, is going to turn to crap IMO.  

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Kreider doesn't generate the 5v5 goals. He's most often the beneficiary of the work everyone else is doing. So getting him less TOI on a line that gets more pucks to the net is still a net benefit.

Laviolette will find opportunity to move CK back up. But he has to be moved off MZ's line. It needs to be tried.

We'll just agree to disagree that moving the 2nd best 5v5 goal scorer on the team down the lineup and TOI, is a logical way to fix 5v5.

There's a way to split them up effectively. There's no better player at getting pucks to net...or glass..than Trocheck.

Looking at the current lines, I see two good options. Swap Zibanejad and Trocheck to split KZ up. Or swap Lafreniere and Kakko to see if Lafreniere can take KZ up a notch. I'd like to see both.

• Keeps it 100 1