• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Laviolette switching lines and D-pairs up.

They must be realizing that Gus and Schneider need stabilizing partners. Because Gus sucks right now and shouldn't be anywhere near a top pair.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Laviolette switching lines and D-pairs up.

Really nice job by Laviolette here.

Love:

Kakko with Cuylle and eventually Chytil. It's been hard not to throw in the towel on Kakko, and I kind of already have, but one thing I can't deny is that his best looks have been when he's paired with Chytil. He's got another month to impress or he should be gone IMO.

No Bonino.

Gus with Fox.

The 4th line that was successful in the past has been re-assembled.

Wheeler dumped on the center who deserves to be saddled with him the most.

Hate:

Miller/Trouba is still a thing. Swap Miller and Lindgren and I would have zero to complain about. Miller-Schneider looked fantastic in limited time a few weeks ago when Trouba was out of the game.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Really nice job by Laviolette here.

Love:

Kakko with Cuylle and eventually Chytil. It's been hard not to throw in the towel on Kakko, and I kind of already have, but one thing I can't deny is that his best looks have been when he's paired with Chytil. He's got another month to impress or he should be gone IMO.

No Bonino.

Gus with Fox.

The 4th line that was successful in the past has been re-assembled.

Wheeler dumped on the center who deserves to be saddled with him the most.

Hate:

Miller/Trouba is still a thing. Swap Miller and Lindgren and I would have zero to complain about. Miller-Schneider looked fantastic in limited time a few weeks ago when Trouba was out of the game.

Mentally, I'm at the trade deadline where he's the newest member of the Minnesota Wild — a storied franchise filled with some of the NHL's greatest big men, 200 foot players who accomplish absolutely nothing offensively.

• Like 1
  • JIMMY! 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

What does something like this even mean? 

It means he should be with the top 9 center who you expect to produce the least at 5v5. Then you're not relying on Wheeler to "keep up". He just needs to be a neutral participant.

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It means he should be with the top 9 center who you expect to produce the least at 5v5. Then you're not relying on Wheeler to "keep up". He just needs to be a neutral participant.

Yeah that really doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I don't think either player is helped by this, and we've already seen it fail, I thought the idea was to get the most out of everybody and put them in positions to succeed. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah that really doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I don't think either player is helped by this, and we've already seen it fail, I thought the idea was to get the most out of everybody and put them in positions to succeed. 

Expectations for Zibanejad need to be adjusted. Kreider is putting up what he always puts up, but Zibanejad is 10+ points off his normal ~40 pt 5v5 production that he's put up for the last 5 seasons. Zibanejad has never needed any right wing in particular to be successful. It's a process of elimination. Kreider isn't the problem. The RW isn't the problem. The problem could be one or more of other reasons, but for now you take the "odd man out" on the other two top 9 lines and stick him with Zib until Zib's problems are figured out. That's pretty clearly Wheeler. They need to figure out what Zib's problems are, on ice and/or off ice, but in the meantime they need to rely less on him.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Expectations for Zibanejad need to be adjusted. Kreider is putting up what he always puts up, but Zibanejad is 10+ points off his normal ~40 pt 5v5 production that he's put up for the last 5 seasons. Zibanejad has never needed any right wing in particular to be successful. It's a process of elimination. Kreider isn't the problem. The RW isn't the problem. The problem could be one or more of other reasons, but for now you take the "odd man out" on the other two top 9 lines and stick him with Zib until Zib's problems are figured out. That's pretty clearly Wheeler. They need to figure out what Zib's problems are, on ice and/or off ice, but in the meantime they need to rely less on him.

That's really just not going to happen. And if you're only pointing at numbers, and you're not watching games, it's pretty easy to see Kreider is just as much an issue as Zib. Reluctance to shoot, just gliding around, not exerting his will on the game the way he could at 6-3 225 lb. 

My point is, right now we have seen that it doesn't matter who was on their right. When those two players are together, it's a problem. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's really just not going to happen. And if you're only pointing at numbers, and you're not watching games, it's pretty easy to see Kreider is just as much an issue as Zib. Reluctance to shoot, just gliding around, not exerting his will on the game the way he could at 6-3 225 lb. 

My point is, right now we have seen that it doesn't matter who was on their right. When those two players are together, it's a problem. 

Even if I adopted this line of thinking with Kreider, you've complained about this for years with him and it's never affected Zibanejad. That means it's not Kreider. It's Zib. Anyone watching the games can see this is not the Zib of the last several seasons. The numbers are just the back up to the eye test.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Even if I adopted this line of thinking with Kreider, you've complained about this for years with him and it's never affected Zibanejad. That means it's not Kreider. It's Zib. Anyone watching the games can see this is not the Zib of the last several seasons. The numbers are just the back up to the eye test.

It's not a problem, until it is. It's always been a problem until the point that they get broken up, they spend five games away from each other, and then they get back together after they learn to play the right way. Even that idiot Gallant did that right. 

Again, my point remains that this line has been tried. Multiple right wings have been tried.

It's probably trying a new left wing that will spark some change. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm all for Wheeler back with 20/93. But I was more intrigued with 50/17 being centered by Chytil when he returns.

The big boys planting themselves infront of goalies and getting an easy assignment against lesser D was something that could have been advantageous. Right now... Kakko is the guy that doesn't fit anywhere. Not Wheeler. 

Maybe Kakko can take advantage of being the guy who should have the puck on his stick, more than his linemates. Add in the big body and actual physical presence of Cuylle, it has potential.

I guess win/win here. Until Kreider is pried out of Zibanejads asshole, these are the shake ups we are going to see. Get the jaws of life. He's in deep. 

• JIMMY! 1

Kakko is a real mystery. Seem to turn a corner last year, enough that most of the media had him as a breakout candidate this season.

Valley was on Vince's pod and gave a pretty thorough breakdown of what he's doing wrong and how to fix it, it's amazing to me that the coaching staff hasn't figured it out. 

I think the most balanced lineup given the roles that Laviolette wants from each line, plus the fact that Tro and Bread kinda cooled off, would be:

Kreider Mika Wheeler

Bread Chytil Lafreniere

Cuylle Trocheck Kakko

Vesey Goodrow Pitlick

Personally I'd try:

Cullye Mika Kakko

Bread Chytil Lafreniere

Kreider Trocheck Vesey

Pitlick Goody Wheeler 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm all for Wheeler back with 20/93. But I was more intrigued with 50/17 being centered by Chytil when he returns.

The big boys planting themselves infront of goalies and getting an easy assignment against lesser D was something that could have been advantageous. Right now... Kakko is the guy that doesn't fit anywhere. Not Wheeler. 

Maybe Kakko can take advantage of being the guy who should have the puck on his stick, more than his linemates. Add in the big body and actual physical presence of Cuylle, it has potential.

I guess win/win here. Until Kreider is pried out of Zibanejads asshole, these are the shake ups we are going to see. Get the jaws of life. He's in deep. 

That's fair. The best we have to go off of is that Wheeler produced more than Kakko with KZ, and if we look at Kakko's history before this year, we can point to his time with Chytil. It kind of just makes sense to see if it gets Kakko out of being a complete zero offensively.

Also why did you change your avatar? Did his mom dump you and it's too painful a reminder to see that goat gif?

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

That's fair. The best we have to go off of is that Wheeler produced more than Kakko with KZ, and if we look at Kakko's history before this year, we can point to his time with Chytil. It kind of just makes sense to see if it gets Kakko out of being a complete zero offensively.

Also why did you change your avatar? Did his mom dump you and it's too painful a reminder to see that goat gif?

The only issue is, Chytil isn't playing.  I'm guessing he's not going to play until after the all-star break. 

Kakko will probably flounder with Brodzinski as his center.  Atleast Cuylle and Wheeler had a couple of good games with the AHLer. 

Now, they're potentially just flushing Kakko down the toilet by playing him with Brodzinski. By the time Chytil is back, I think management will have already made their decision on Kakko and it won't be positive. I see him dumped at the deadline for a pile of picks and AHL D men. 

@josh s mom and I were never a serious thing.  The only dumping that has happened is the dumping of loads inside her and on her face. 

I changed the avatar because it bothered some people and the joke ran its course many months ago. I'm not happy with this new one. Can't find my old one either. Gonna keep changing it.  

• JIMMY! 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

This guy has too much testosterone to be a Ranger. Might have to trade him

Between Othmann and Cuylle, with continuing development...we may be able to forget about Laf and Kakkos draft positions.....

• Believe 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Between Othmann and Cuylle, with continuing development...we may be able to forget about Laf and Kakkos draft positions.....

That's doubtful.

Othmann and Cuylle are likely middle 6 forwards. The other 2 were supposed to be stars and top line forces. 

• Believe 1

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's doubtful.

Othmann and Cuylle are likely middle 6 forwards. The other 2 were supposed to be stars and top line forces. 

JT Miller was gunna be a middle 6'er too. I'm hopeful the forces of nature balance out and we get some luck here.

• Believe 1

12 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

JT Miller was gunna be a middle 6'er too. I'm hopeful the forces of nature balance out and we get some luck here.

Othmann reminds me a lot of Miller, with less playmaking ability.