• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle-Brodzinski has produced with or without Kakko. That's why I think they'll be ok. Kakko joined a pairing that was already good together, and credit to him for making it even better. I'd have just kept that line cooking and mess with the other ones instead. The Panarin line is so good offensively, but almost equally bad defensively. I don't think it should be off limits to change that line anymore, but I don't blame Lavi for not sticking with it either.

You have to look at who the RW was in those situations though. For example, say what you want about Wheeler, Vesey is an offensive downgrade. It's not like Cullye and Brodzinski were out there doing it alone.

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

You have to look at who the RW was in those situations though. For example, say what you want about Wheeler, Vesey is an offensive downgrade. It's not like Cullye and Brodzinski were out there doing it alone.

Cuylle-Brodz made Nick Bonino serviceable.

56 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

We'll just agree to disagree that moving the 2nd best 5v5 goal scorer on the team down the lineup and TOI, is a logical way to fix 5v5.

There's a way to split them up effectively. There's no better player at getting pucks to net...or glass..than Trocheck.

Looking at the current lines, I see two good options. Swap Zibanejad and Trocheck to split KZ up. Or swap Lafreniere and Kakko to see if Lafreniere can take KZ up a notch. I'd like to see both.

Kreider isn't a play driver. It doesn't really mean much that he's the best 5v5 goal scorer, in fact all that does is show how much Zib is contributing as he's on his way to his best season in terms of primary assists. 

Kreider doesn't create. I'm not saying you have to play him on the third line with JB but I am saying that if you're shuffling the top line and the only change you can make is consistently swapping out right wings, that's been tried and hasn't worked. So why are you even bothering swapping out right wings? 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Watching today's media availability, it seems pretty evident to me that the team is kinda tired of talking about Rempe

Would they rather be asked why they are giving up 40+ shots a game and needing goaltending to bail them out every game?

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Would they rather be asked why they are giving up 40+ shots a game and needing goaltending to bail them out every game?

Maybe they'd rather be asked about starting a new 10 game winning streak and being in 1st place in the Metro all season, or leading the league in wins.

• Bullseye 1
  • Believe 1

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

Kreider isn't a play driver. It doesn't really mean much that he's the best 5v5 goal scorer, in fact all that does is show how much Zib is contributing as he's on his way to his best season in terms of primary assists. 

Kreider doesn't create. I'm not saying you have to play him on the third line with JB but I am saying that if you're shuffling the top line and the only change you can make is consistently swapping out right wings, that's been tried and hasn't worked. So why are you even bothering swapping out right wings? 

Look at the quality of the right wings. It really shouldn't be a surprise that Zibanejad just focuses on feeding Kreider. I believe that Zibanejad's strength is not as a distributor, though he does enough to get a lot out of Kreider, but he's way more dangerous as a shoot first option. I'd like to see Laffy on their right, but in general I agree, if they can't put someone worthy on that line then look at viable alternatives. You have to put Kreider with someone who can create for him though, or you're wasting his strength too.

• VINNY! 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Look at the quality of the right wings. It really shouldn't be a surprise that Zibanejad just focuses on feeding Kreider. I believe that Zibanejad's strength is not as a distributor, though he does enough to get a lot out of Kreider, but he's way more dangerous as a shoot first option. I'd like to see Laffy on their right, but in general I agree, if they can't put someone worthy on that line then look at viable alternatives. You have to put Kreider with someone who can create for him though, or you're wasting his strength too.

Pretty much agreed here. As it relates to MZ being more dangerous as a shoot first player, that would be the reason I would try to shift CK off that line. It's worked in the past.

He just can't seem to help himself in terms of trying to feed CK. So give him someone he's a little less familiar with and make him think about shooting a little bit more because it'd be uncertainty of playing with a different line mate. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't think Cuylle and Brodz need Kakko. Vesey is a hard worker and I think will fit that line too. I'm not too worried about that.

I don't know how many times Kakko has to be tried with KZ to know it isn't a fit though. I know it's late in the season, but I'd really want to take these exact lines and just flip Kakko and Lafreniere. There's nothing that says you can't flip it back.

I actually think Kakko was driving that line. He was certainly getting more opportunities on that line than he has with any other. I feel it was due to him being the guy with the most god given talent on the line. He was generating most of the offense. Definitely creating a lot on his own. 

Brodzinski has his limitations and Cuylle is a rookie. I'd have left this line alone and moved Lafrenière up with 20/93 putting Vesey (or .. Rempe) with Panarin 

Or, move Kreider down to line 3, push Cuylle and Kakko up with Zibanejad. Or Panarin with Zibanejad. Then Kreider with Trocheck. 

If you're going to mess with the lines. Mess with the lines. 20/93 need to be separated and it's very obvious.  The comfort level is too high for them. I don't understand why they haven't been separated. 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think it just might be short term.  I'm thinking it's until we get Tank back.

I can totally agree with getting Kreider away from Zib at 5 v 5 though

Or.... It's a showcase for Kakko.  I thought he was doing just fine on line 3. 

This combo has not worked once in the last 2+ seasons or more. 

Unless they feel Kakko has turned some corner and is about to ramp it up, I really don't get this.

Yes, Vesey has done diddly with this small opportunity on line 1.  With that said.  So what. Call someone up or slide Lafrenière up.

I feel like they are messing with some chemistry on that 3rd line, that is more important to keep building. I don't think Kakko is there yet. He has been climbing out of his hole for a few weeks now and I'm seeing progress. Let that grow. He's almost confident.

If and when this fails again,  he's going to be toast. Let him simmer on the 3rd line until he proves he's more than a 3rd liner. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Unless they feel Kakko has turned some corner and is about to ramp it up, I really don't get this.

Yes, Vesey has done diddly with this small opportunity on line 1.  With that said.  So what. Call someone up or slide Lafrenière up.

I feel like they are messing with some chemistry on that 3rd line, that is more important to keep building. I don't think Kakko is there yet. He has been climbing out of his hole for a few weeks now and I'm seeing progress. Let that grow. He's almost confident.

If and when this fails again,  he's going to be toast. Let him simmer on the 3rd line until he proves he's more than a 3rd liner. 

Eh...I'm not too sure Dude man.  We gotta see how it shakes out.

This whole thing would work better if Zibby wouldn't be such a stubborn fuck and just shoot the damn thing more!  😃

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was also wondering if Kakko might legitimately be on the block. If the new 3rd line does well, and you have an opportunity to significantly upgrade Kakko in the top 6 by trading him, then you probably do it.

Edited by BrooksBurner

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Eh...I'm not too sure Dude man.  We gotta see how it shakes out.

This whole thing would work better if Zibby wouldn't be such a stubborn fuck and just shoot the damn thing more!  😃

I wish I shared your optimism.

It hasn't shook out in 2 years.

I don't think he's ready for this opportunity yet. He needs his confidence to be at its highest. He's almost there. I think this inconsistency is going to screw him up. 

Now we will see the 3rd line falter and a continuation of the 20/93 pass-athon.

They had 2 lines working as tight units that could pin defenses in their own zone. We are going to now see one. Well.... maybe 2, but one will really just have great puck possession metrics, but no quality chances and no production, while the other will continue to carry the team production wise. 

Line 3 was pretty consistent.  Kakko was a part of that. Wheeler was before that. Can Vesey step right in and carry some weight? I can't say I have confidence in Vesey.  Much less Vesey and Brodzinski. 

Edited by The Dude

18 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I was also wondering if Kakko might legitimately be on the block. If the new 3rd line does well, and you have an opportunity to significantly upgrade Kakko in the top 6 by trading him, then you probably do it.

There's just so many other avenues they could try before doing this. If 20/93 really do pout when they are separated....  We have a problem. The fact that they won't/haven't been separated is maddening. There are quite a few in house alternatives if they would just separate them. 

Heck, you had a good suggestion about trying Kakko with Panarin. It hasn’t been tried this season. Why are they solely swapping RW 1 and 3 all year as their only shake up?

Besides a few shifts of Panarin on Zibanejads line, that really is the only changes we have seen to the lineup.  It's as baffling as Goodrow not being pushed up to line 3 when Chytil went down.  Bonino as 3C ended the poor guys career and made Goodrow even more of an overpriced sack of shit. 

3rd line has gelled and if the gm believes some sort of 1rw deal is in the works I do not like this, or at least would be fast triggering Kakkos return if don’t like what I see. I too agree getting a look at Laffy moving up would be great, so I’d swap him and Vesey for a look.  Jimmy may fit really well with troch and bread.

3 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

im thinking this has to be a do-or-die year for Zibby and CK.  If the team again shits the bed in the playoffs, at least one of these has to be traded.  

It'll be Kreider. 15 team No Trade list vs MZs full NMC. 

A lot of interesting tidbits from Vince Mercoglianos podcast this morning. I was driving as I was listening so I am paraphrasing/recalling so forgive any errors in advance but…

Rempe- apparently the team has talked to him about not necessarily fighting all the time. Sounds like they like his game but he’s the obvious odd man out if deadline deals work out. There’s some concern over whether  he’s an nhl level player in the long run. I personally like what I’ve seen so I dunno if those concerns are shared by everyone but Vince brings it up. We had discussed his speed on here apparently goodrow mentioned to Vince that Rempe was one of the fastest guys during testing at training camp. Goodrow also mentioned defenders are adjusting their game seeing two massive hulks skating in on the forecheck. 

deadline- Vince keeps beating the SJ drum. Thinks there’s more of a fit with them than the ducks. The Grier connection makes sense. Sounds like everyone on that team is up for grabs. Sounds like the ducks are asking for a lot for vatrano and Henrique. Seattle and the flyers while also asking for a lot are also not rushing to sell their players. Thinks both center and rw are both still being discussed rather than 1 or the other. All but confirmed Buch won’t be a ranger again. Thinks Drury is going to be aggressive. Rightly points out this is the time to win. 

Assets- said he got the impression that Perrault and Othman are off the table for any trades but essentially all other assets aren’t. Mentioned moving the 1st rounder multiple times so that story about it being off the table sounds like BS.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/02/29/why-the-rangers-will-be-aggressive-at-the-nhl-trade-deadline/72788597007/

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

A lot of interesting tidbits from Vince Mercoglianos podcast this morning. I was driving as I was listening so I am paraphrasing/recalling so forgive any errors in advance but…

Rempe- apparently the team has talked to him about not necessarily fighting all the time. Sounds like they like his game but he’s the obvious odd man out if deadline deals work out. There’s some concern over whether  he’s an nhl level player in the long run. I personally like what I’ve seen so I dunno if those concerns are shared by everyone but Vince brings it up. We had discussed his speed on here apparently goodrow mentioned to Vince that Rempe was one of the fastest guys during testing at training camp. Goodrow also mentioned defenders are adjusting their game seeing two massive hulks skating in on the forecheck. 

deadline- Vince keeps beating the SJ drum. Thinks there’s more of a fit with them than the ducks. The Grier connection makes sense. Sounds like everyone on that team is up for grabs. Sounds like the ducks are asking for a lot for vatrano and Henrique. Seattle and the flyers while also asking for a lot are also not rushing to sell their players. Thinks both center and rw are both still being discussed rather than 1 or the other. All but confirmed Buch won’t be a ranger again. Thinks Drury is going to be aggressive. Rightly points out this is the time to win. 

Assets- said he got the impression that Perrault and Othman are off the table for any trades but essentially all other assets aren’t. Mentioned moving the 1st rounder multiple times so that story about it being off the table sounds like BS.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/02/29/why-the-rangers-will-be-aggressive-at-the-nhl-trade-deadline/72788597007/

For you: thanks for the summary

For Vince:

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

• LMFAO 1