• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

No, I'm complaining that Strome doesn't contribute much to the PP. Grant you, there are only so many shots and setups you can do and the bulk will be the other 4 guys. Simply note Vatrano was impressive on the PP when Strome wasn't on the ice vs. Bolts, shooting right out i f o the net. Again could very well be in this market Strome is the best option as 2nd line C. Would love to have someone more dynamic, better on faceoffs, better defensively, better i f o the net(wouldn't every team?) . But there may not be many options at the price point Drury has, or he may not want to give up assets for that. 

Keeps coming back to 2 goals in 19 playoff games; is that worth around $5 million per? If you replaced him with a more reasonable option, would you expect similar production with #10?  Could come back to he's the best you can do under the cap constraints.

Every center on this team sucks at faceoffs. It's a team issue, wingers don't jump in. What evidence is there that he's not good defensively? Guy was PKing for chrissakes.

The last sentence of both your paragraphs is the point. What do you think you're getting for $5M?

It's like the housing market right now. What am I gonna get if I sell my house today for an inflated price? A house just like my house.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Every center on this team sucks at faceoffs. It's a team issue, wingers don't jump in. What evidence is there that he's not good defensively? Guy was PKing for chrissakes.

The last sentence of both your paragraphs is the point. What do you think you're getting for $5M?

It's like the housing market right now. What am I gonna get if I sell my house today for an inflated price? A house just like my house.

I'm starting to feel the lines in the sand are drawn on Strome. No one is changing position, but you're argument is the best thus far......what else is out there? A similar or lesser player with unknown chemistry with our superstar. If this guy is willing to take the discount, you take it and ice what has worked and upgrade around them. Eh, whatever. We shall see.

The desire to immediately fill that spot with an expensive UFA is the part that justifies bringing Strome back at a reasonable number. It's just the wrong impulse. 

We have the assets to acquire the player who could be the actual solution for years to come. We have the luxury of allowing a guy making half of what a UFA would make that take a real crack at the 2C spot - that he honestly earned in the playoffs - and allow us to fill a hole lower down the lineup with a different style of player that could open up our ability to crack a team that takes away our passing lanes like Tampa does. 

There are so many other, better ways to handle this question than to simply throw a contract at a guy because there's nothing else out there and he kinda works. Go get Bellemare or Cogliano or Helm and play them at 4c - bump Goodrow up. Go get Nick Paul or Nick Bonino. Patch the hole with something that MIGHT work for this team - and if it doesn't, at least you have the flexibility to go get Toews or Pavelski or whomever at the deadline. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The desire to immediately fill that spot with an expensive UFA is the part that justifies bringing Strome back at a reasonable number. It's just the wrong impulse. 

We have the assets to acquire the player who could be the actual solution for years to come. We have the luxury of allowing a guy making half of what a UFA would make that take a real crack at the 2C spot - that he honestly earned in the playoffs - and allow us to fill a hole lower down the lineup with a different style of player that could open up our ability to crack a team that takes away our passing lanes like Tampa does. 

There are so many other, better ways to handle this question than to simply throw a contract at a guy because there's nothing else out there and he kinda works. Go get Bellemare or Cogliano or Helm and play them at 4c - bump Goodrow up. Go get Nick Paul or Nick Bonino. Patch the hole with something that MIGHT work for this team - and if it doesn't, at least you have the flexibility to go get Toews or Pavelski or whomever at the deadline. 

Chytil earned it? By have 3 hot games where everything he flung at the net went in? Nah. If there's an impulse that's wrong, it's that one.

And what assets do we have to trade? It took Laine to get Dubois. That's the cost of a premier young center. No one moves a young offensive pivot for a package of "maybe".

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm starting to feel the lines in the sand are drawn on Strome. No one is changing position, but you're argument is the best thus far......what else is out there? A similar or lesser player with unknown chemistry with our superstar. If this guy is willing to take the discount, you take it and ice what has worked and upgrade around them. Eh, whatever. We shall see.

Strome is like a 20 year marriage. Not the best looking thing out there, but it's comfortable and you know what you're getting, and it shouldn't cost a lot. You want to be single in 2022? I know I wouldn't, so you may as well just stay married because at least you know what you've got.

20 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

So while in the immediacy your argument sticks, Strome is a great cost controlled 3c at 4.5 mil later in this deal. So he works with Panarin for now and can slot down in the latter half. 

If he is open to sub 5 mil per, you have to bite. You aren't getting another C this year in free agency for this price in the realm of his talent.

I mean... Stastny maybe as a FA

Then there may be trades out there... Maybe the Blues would be interested in selling some players and transition into getting younger? I'd check in on O'Reilly right this second. That dude is straight up what Gallant wants on his team. 

Maybe Monaham? 

I think the Rangers need to sell some of the redundancy in the cupboard. Meaning Lundkvist and maybe Robertson.  With that as the price point, Id think you can get a 2C that borders 3C ala Strome/Copp. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I'd love O'Reilly, but he's well outside their price point without retention, and they just named him captain. I'd call that one highly unlikely.

Same. Right guy to go after, price and situation are just complete deal killers

I'm really curious as to what Claude Giroux wants. I'm at least interested in knowing what Arizona wants for Nick Schmaltz. Not that they're trading him - not the least bit to us - but I think Anthony Cirelli needs to be on the radar as well. The Lightning's cap situation is very problematic beyond this season and they need a remedy. I'd give Nick Paul or Chris Tierney a look too. 

On 6/15/2022 at 6:46 PM, Pete said:

I don't think Staple knows anything about the inner workings of the organization to be honest. 

His reporting is like he sits at home and watches the games if you ask me so I’m with you there. 

carp sucked but staple isn’t doing much better 

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Same. Right guy to go after, price and situation are just complete deal killers

I'm really curious as to what Claude Giroux wants. I'm at least interested in knowing what Arizona wants for Nick Schmaltz. Not that they're trading him - not the least bit to us - but I think Anthony Cirelli needs to be on the radar as well. The Lightning's cap situation is very problematic beyond this season and they need a remedy. I'd give Nick Paul or Chris Tierney a look too. 

Sold. Hands down!

The Post’s Larry Brooks reported that Strome and his camp declined an offer from the Rangers during negotiations earlier in the season. Considering the cap crunch the Rangers will be under in years to come, president and general manager Chris Drury only has so much to offer Strome while also planning for the future contracts of other key players like Filip Chytil, Alexis Lafreniere and K’Andre Miller, who will all be restricted free agents after next season.

Strome pointed out that his longest deal was the three-year entry-level contract he signed with Garth Snow and the Islanders in October 2011, so he’s hoping for something a little longer than that after playing on back-to-back-to-back two-year deals. 

In declining the Rangers’ initial offer, which is believed to have had a cap hit ranging from $5.25 million-$5.5 million, Strome took a chance on himself going into the postseason. He ultimately scored two goals and dished seven assists in a playoff performance that could’ve used some more production if upping his price tag was the goal. 

https://nypost.com/2022/06/13/ryan-strome-wants-rangers-return-as-he-hits-open-market/

--

Yeah, he's gone.

• TroCheckmark 1

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Going to be tough seeing Strome suit up for the Isles (again) or Devils......

Strome is simply not aged enough to be of any interest to Uncle Lou's retirement community at UBS. 

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Flyers or Pens (if Malkin walks).

Flyers, I dont want that for him. Cruddy team and Torts to flame him. 

Pens would be pretty cool. Id give a lot to be able to say i worked with the Gretzky of this generation (expecting to get killed for this comment). Dude worked hard with Bread to earn his pay day. 

The end boards won't miss Stromers rips, that's for sure.

Evolving Hockey has Ryan Strome contract predicted around $7M x 7 years. Good for him if he gets that from someone. It would 100% validate him turning down $5.5 from the Rangers (for probably a less amount of years) even though he's made it known that he'd like to stay.

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Evolving Hockey has Ryan Strome contract predicted around $7M x 7 years. Good for him if he gets that from someone. It would 100% validate him turning down $5.5 from the Rangers (for probably a less amount of years) even though he's made it known that he'd like to stay.

If he can get that from someone, he should take it. No question.

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Any GM that gives him that contract should be fires on the spot. 

5 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Man I don't see it but by all means good for him if he gets that kind of offer.