• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

Drury’s primary decision revolves around second-line center: Will he choose Copp, Strome or other? It’s the central question of the offseason, with the reality being that he can only afford one.

Multiple people who are familiar with the situation told lohud.com, part of the USA TODAY Network, that the Rangers made a push to extend Strome late in 2021. They wanted him at an average annual value between $5 million and $5.5 million – but whether it was due to AAV or term, the two sides couldn’t find common ground.

It’s possible they come back to the negotiating table, but it feels like that ship may have sailed. Recent indications have been that the Rangers would prefer to re-sign Copp, who posted 32 points (14 goals and 18 assists) in 36 games with them between the regular season and playoffs and brings more versatility.

Copp is the leading candidate at the moment, but I would expect Drury to explore other options. Vancouver’s JT Miller ($5.25 million for one more season) and Winnipeg’s Mark Scheifele ($6.125 million for two more) are certainly intriguing trade pieces, but it would take a haul to bring in either. Expect lesser-known (and possibly younger) names to pop on the radar.

Here’s a name to keep an eye on: Vincent Trocheck. He’s a two-way center who brings speed, a 54.6% faceoff win rate, plays both special teams and anchored Carolina’s second line. He’s still only 28 and coming off a manageable $4.75 million AAV.

Some have questioned whether the Rangers might just consider promoting Chytil to the second line following his breakout postseason. And while that could be a viable solution, it doesn’t diminish the need to secure another center. It remains priority No. 1.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/06/13/ny-rangers-offseason-news-after-losing-tampa-bay-lightning/7602712001/

--

On the latest episode of the 32 Thoughts podcast, Jeff Marek said he believes the Copp camp will look something comparable to the Philip Danault ($5.5x6) or Zach Hyman ($5.5x7) contract.

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/06/13/ny-rangers-offseason-news-after-losing-tampa-bay-lightning/7602712001/

--

On the latest episode of the 32 Thoughts podcast, Jeff Marek said he believes the Copp camp will look something comparable to the Philip Danault ($5.5x6) or Zach Hyman ($5.5x7) contract.

53 points last year and trending up. 27 y.o at 5.5mil/6 years? That could be a very bargain friendly contract. He fit in well here. If only Morgan Barron could center that fourth line....

I mentioned in the offseason thread, but I’m “Team Stop Gap” for the 2C/Mid-6 C approach, via affordable trade for an expiring contract.

Some potential options I see

Sean Monahan (caveat: injury concerns, one year cap hit - might be buyout UFA target)

Erik Haula

Pius Suter

Frederick Gaudreau

Less likely options due to trade cost and/or many other reasons

Dylan Larkin

Ryan O’reilly

Bo Horvat

Thin lists, but I also think it’s important to give Chytil the opportunity to move up the lineup if his play deserves it. If they get someone too good such that it blocks him regardless of how he plays, they might as well trade him for a guy who fits 3C qualities more.

50 minutes ago, Valriera said:

My choice is "neither". Kid line is the 2nd line, get panarin some third line physical guy and kravtsov, and we're set. Have to lean into the kids at some point. 

So essentially we're going to pay Panarin $11.5 million to be a 3rd liner?  

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

So essentially we're going to pay Panarin $11.5 million to be a 3rd liner?  

Doesn't matter at ES if Panarin is still getting PP time. If things go the way they likely envision, there's going to be a lot of interchangeability between the first, second, and third lines. PP time is going to be the great differentiator for the point-getters.

5 hours ago, josh said:

Need a role player in the 3C spot. Same guy we looked for last season. And it’s not going to be a big name. Don’t have the money to afford it.

Said it in the general off-season thread — Gagner, maybe. Good on special teams (PK included). Knows his role. Wouldn't be opposed to a reunion with Namestnikov, either.

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

Said it in the general off-season thread — Gagner, maybe. Good on special teams (PK included). Knows his role. Wouldn't be opposed to a reunion with Namestnikov, either.

THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!

Good stop gap with potential.

Total, total pipe dream. But man, if he was ever interested in continuing his career and trying to chase one final Cup before retiring and Boston officially enters into a rebuild phase, I’d sell my soul for a year of Patrice Bergeron. But pretty sure he’s already said if he comes back, it’s either in Boston or no where. But with all their injuries and surgeries and having a lot of key guys out for multiple months to begin the year, NYC isn’t that far from Boston; don’t have to really uproot the family, etc. Lots of each other’s franchise icons have ended up in the others sweater at some point (Espo, Park, Leetch, etc.) so not unfamiliar territory.

I know, fantasyland. I already picked my tongue up off the floor. But man, talk about filling like 13 holes in one fell swoop.

If we look UFA, I look at Trocheck. If we look via trade, I say Gourde. If we look outside the box for a defensive guy via trade that is affordable, I look to see if we can make a trade with tbe Devils for Michael McCloud. Good defensively and awesome from the dot. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Given our cap constraints and inability to ink long term contracts of any size, I prefer to give Chytil a shot, and if it doesn't work, bring in a UFA at the deadline for a run and the playoffs.  Bumping Bread up to the first line and using the kids as a second line could be given an extended try in the first half of the season.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Total, total pipe dream. But man, if he was ever interested in continuing his career and trying to chase one final Cup before retiring and Boston officially enters into a rebuild phase, I’d sell my soul for a year of Patrice Bergeron. But pretty sure he’s already said if he comes back, it’s either in Boston or no where. But with all their injuries and surgeries and having a lot of key guys out for multiple months to begin the year, NYC isn’t that far from Boston; don’t have to really uproot the family, etc. Lots of each other’s franchise icons have ended up in the others sweater at some point (Espo, Park, Leetch, etc.) so not unfamiliar territory.

I know, fantasyland. I already picked my tongue up off the floor. But man, talk about filling like 13 holes in one fell swoop.

Not happening. Suspect Bs will sign Trotz for one more shot, and figure out a way to keep Bergeron and make Pasternak reasonably okay. 

Cullye will be in camp. Not a lock, but he will get a look. 

Edited by Bugg

If we need a stopgap middle-6 for one to two years, why not Paul Stastny? 36, but still put up a respectable 45 points in 71 games last season. 56.6% on faceoffs and a career 54.1% from the dot. Positive possession and fancy stats player. Had a $3.75mil cap hit on his last 1-year contract. 

• Keeps it 100 1

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is where all the folks who thought it would be so easy to upgrade Strome are going to see it's not so easy.

Gotta hope Copp takes a discount, but that's a lateral move. 

As down as we may be on Strome(and I find him maddening for a host of reasons), when people are suggesting the likes of Stasny, Names...

Trochek is not coming here on the cheap. His entire career has been geared to this being a max contract before he calls it a day or slides into being a role player on the way out. 

Edited by Bugg
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

As down as we may be on Strome(and I find him maddening for a host of reasons), when people are suggesting the likes of Stasny, Names...

Trochek is not coming here on the cheap. His entire career has been geared to this being a max contract before he calls it a day or slides into being a role player on the way out. 

Exactly...Trochek is an unrealistic suggestion because the budget for this slot is 5-5.5 and he is going into UFA coming off 4.75M... he's not coming here from living in places like Carolina (cost of living) and Florida (tax) for a minimal raise. 

TBF my suggestion of Stastny is not as a Strome production-level replacement. If Chytil doesn't put up 40+ points next year, we're going to struggle. That progression plus Stastny centering Panarin and whoever will probably equal out and make our team more balanced. Plus the improvement on faceoffs. Then again, a 36 year old athlete is a ticking time bomb.