• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

On 6/13/2022 at 1:41 PM, Valriera said:

My choice is "neither". Kid line is the 2nd line, get panarin some third line physical guy and kravtsov, and we're set. Have to lean into the kids at some point. 

Push Panarin up with Zibanejad and Kreider. 

Use the kid line 

Build a new 3rd line, possibly with Copp at center, or make a trade. 3rd line center is more in the ballpark of what the Rangers should be able to get with the pieces they are willing to move. Shit, maybe there's a free agent that fits the bill. Stastny maybe?

8 hours ago, Phil said:

They need shooters who shoot from the slot, which means they need players who go to the slot. That's a "strength" issue in that you have to be strong in will and to some extent in stature to accomplish it. Yes, there are guys like Point who aren't big who do it, but it's easier for bigger guys to do it because they're less likely to get physically pushed off the puck in the process. Really, it's a combination of skill + will.

Kravstov and Blais may fit that bill. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I wish both had a full season to progress with this team. Not sure the team would have done as well as they did in the playoffs, but as far as pushing for the next step, it would have helped.

Blais put up decent numbers as a kid, and we know what Kravtsov can do offensively. Two big complementary pieces that could have used the season to develop with the team. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, josh said:

I wish both had a full season to progress with this team. Not sure the team would have done as well as they did in the playoffs, but as far as pushing for the next step, it would have helped.

Blais put up decent numbers as a kid, and we know what Kravtsov can do offensively. Two big complementary pieces that could have used the season to develop with the team. 

Agreed. 

It also would have been nice to see what Barron could do in a 3rd line center role. Not sure why Gallant didn't seem to be a fan of his. A little off putting that he was a throw in for the Copp trade

• Like 2

Josh Norris is an RFA.  On paper it’s a no brainer for Ottawa to keep him but I wonder if they have an internal cap and aren’t going to want to give him too much of a raise while they still are a while away and eventually will have to pay Stutzle. Honestly, Kakko + prospect for Norris might make sense for them and it certainly makes sense for us. 

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's possible, yeah. Krav would be the more potent of the two. But I'm not discounting the idea of Blais running back his STL role running shotgun in the playoffs.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:13 AM, Pete said:

This is where all the folks who thought it would be so easy to upgrade Strome are going to see it's not so easy.

Gotta hope Copp takes a discount, but that's a lateral move. 

Is it lateral though?

Not disagreeing, but I don’t see it as lateral.

Copp is a more complete and decidedly more versatile player than Strome.

Ill agree that Strome has more offensive ability, but not droves more.

And Copp is better defensively, better in the circle, kills penalties, and can legitimately play all 3 forward positions and do so in the top-6. 

But your point about an upgrade on Strome is on point.

Its neither easy nor cheap to get someone who would be definitively better than Strome. 

If we are spitballing ideas… I still say Scheifele. 

Maybe this has been brought up before, but while the chemistry between Strome and Panarin is real and observable, it’s always been a little frustrating in that

A) Both are pass first players

and

B) Strome being RH shot with Panarin to his left.

IDK, but I think Panarin is best served by playing with a shooter who is a LH shot who can shoot off a pass from Panarin. 

Maybe Kravtsov is that guy on the wing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

Josh Norris is an RFA.  On paper it’s a no brainer for Ottawa to keep him but I wonder if they have an internal cap and aren’t going to want to give him too much of a raise while they still are a while away and eventually will have to pay Stutzle. Honestly, Kakko + prospect for Norris might make sense for them and it certainly makes sense for us. 

I'd just go the offer sheet route if that's how we want to do. Ottawa's transitioning owners and is notoriously cash poor.

14 hours ago, Keirik said:

That’s a name I’ve looked at a couple of times and figured there was no way or reason for Ottawa to trade him. They’re probably also deathly afraid of making a trade like that after getting hijacked in the Zibanejad trade.

15 hours ago, Keirik said:

Fuck I’d love him.

But if Ottawa lets him go , they’re insane.

I can’t say Ottawa would miss that and get fleeced.

Hes also perfect for Panarin. 

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Keirik said:

Would be all over him if he's available. Big USNDP guy, too, so you know Drury will love that. And another Michigan alum.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

14 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Dude… that guy is a bigger version of Brayden Point potentially 

55 points in like 66 games for the shitty Sens last year. Would be another Zibanejad-like trade. That costs much more than Kakko, though. I think Ottawa would want Lafreniere, pretty badly, too. Kakko isn't moving the needle for them (they have Batherson and White). Lundkvist might, though. Their RD is pretty shitty. Zaitsev, Hamonic, Zub.

It’s time for the kids to step up.  If Chytil is ready to be the 2C they drafted him to be, the top two lines should already be on the roster.

Kreids-Zib-Laf

Bread- Chytil-Kakko

Then we need some energy guys, relentless forecheckers.  Bring back Motte and sign Nick Paul at 3x$2.5M.

Bottom 6 is then

Paul-Goodrow-Kravtsov

Hunt-Motte-Blais

Extra: Reaves and ?

Not spending $5.5M on Strome or Copp or anyone else in that range ensures there is money for locking up Laf and Key long term.

The early discussions, according to several league sources, seem to be centered around Ryan Strome. The Rangers’ advantage before July 13, the start of unrestricted free agency, is that Drury can negotiate with Strome and/or Andrew Coppexclusively before they hit the open market; the disadvantage, perhaps, is that the Rangers almost certainly can only sign one of them, and Drury may decide he can’t afford to lock up either for the five or six years it might take.

So the need for trimming as much as possible from the cap is huge. And league sources indicate that Copp and his camp are likely sticking to their desire to get as much out of this next contract as possible, which means something in the six-year term range for no less than $5.5 million per. Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek said last month that Copp’s main comparables were Zach Hyman (seven years, $5.5 million with the Oilers) and Philip Danault (six years, $5.5 million with the Kings). If Copp feels he can command that on July 13, he may not want to budge, despite his close ties to Jacob Trouba and the obvious success he had in his short time with the Rangers.

Strome may be willing to take a bit less in salary and a bit more on term to stay, given he’s been a Ranger for four years and finally found his footing as an NHLer after his stays with the Islanders and Oilers. If Drury could get Strome for six years at an AAV beginning with a four (preferably at or below $4.5 million), that would be a better option for the Rangers going forward. There was still no word on Wednesday as to whether Strome needs surgery for his core muscle injury, but if the Rangers feel Strome can be more consistent when healthy, they would have their No. 2 center locked up for a long while.

Another concern is trade protection. Four of the Rangers’ heftiest contracts — Artemi Panarin, Zibanejad, Trouba and Chris Kreider — come with no-move clauses that only turn into no-trade lists in 2024 for Kreider and Trouba. Drury may need some flexibility on a Strome contract, and Strome’s camp may not be thrilled at that.

https://theathletic.com/3367091/2022/06/15/rangers-strome-copp-kakko-free-agency/?source=user_shared_article

• JIMMY! 1

12 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Drury already negotiating through Staple?

I think there’s only one way to get Strome down into the $4s and it won’t just be about term (6 years min btw). Three magic letters: NMC.

I don't think Staple knows anything about the inner workings of the organization to be honest. 

38 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Drury already negotiating through Staple?

I think there’s only one way to get Strome down into the $4s and it won’t just be about term (6 years min btw). Three magic letters: NMC.

Agreed. For at least the first half of the deal.

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I don’t think there’s a great replacement for Strome for next season readily available. I don’t think that means we should settle for Strome for six years. 

I think people need to start realizing that a player like him is all you're going to get at that price point and that it's not settling, you want the perfect player it's going to cost you 7-8 million.