• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

56 minutes ago, NEKRanger said:

You think Malkin would be bad, those of us older fans had to root for Esposito while we were still broken hearted about losing Park and Ratelle.  Now that really sucked.

No Malkin 5 years ago would be great.  The guy is always injured and isn't getting younger.  Why in hell would the Rangers invest in a guy who cannot stay healthy and is 36 years old?  Yeah sorry I'm not "rooting" for that

4 hours ago, Capt said:

Great point.  Still want to trade all the kids do you?

All the kids that have no future spot here? Yes. And fast. Lundkvist can go. He's has to. How you can't grasp that reality is amazing. 

Guess you have missed my take on how the Rangers should really just save money and roll with the kid line as the 2nd line and look for a proper 3rd line center. But, yeah. Keep thinking that I want to trade ALL the kids. 

4 hours ago, Capt said:

No Malkin 5 years ago would be great.  The guy is always injured and isn't getting younger.  Why in hell would the Rangers invest in a guy who cannot stay healthy and is 36 years old?  Yeah sorry I'm not "rooting" for that

Maybe to leave the door cracked for a younger player to step into the role if needed.  Maybe he's still pretty good. Maybe your other options are Ryan Strome and Andrew Copp. 

Name some options that don't require the trading of an 11 million dollar player to get them. 

I don't really have any other options that aren't going to be major risks.  That's the problem with carrying an $11.5M wing who shrinks when the games tighten up.  Copp and Strome are the best you are going to do and even that is to expensive.  I would however take Copp or Strome 1000 times before taking a decrepit 36 year old Malkin who cannot stay healthy.

We gave up A LOT for Copp. I think we are going to see him back this fall.

However, Malkin is a career point+ per game player. Are you getting 82 from him? Most definitely not but to say Strome or Copp have even been in the same tier and are preferable is laughable. Malkin checks the boxes of more production and changing the dynamic of the Panarin line.

But, to each their own. I just don't wanna see Chytil expected to line up there in September.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NEKRanger said:

You think Malkin would be bad, those of us older fans had to root for Esposito while we were still broken hearted about losing Park and Ratelle.  Now that really sucked.

...Still going to therapy for that one!!!  LOL

That Ken Hodge kicker made the whole deal though...or maybe it was Zanussi!!! 

• LOL 1

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It literally can only happen if he openly decides he’s done in Pittsburgh, because whatever short-term deal he would take here he could get from Pittsburgh. 

If Pittsburgh is lowballing or under-appreciating him after all these years, spite could potentially come into play.

FWIW, I think Malkin is an ideal target to play with Panarin. I just don't see it happening for so many reasons that it hasn't been worth thinking about compared to all the other options.

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It literally can only happen if he openly decides he’s done in Pittsburgh, because whatever short-term deal he would take here he could get from Pittsburgh. 

Yup. If I recall correctly, PIT basically offered him like $5 million x 3 years? Something like that? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the Rangers would offer, too.

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. If I recall correctly, PIT basically offered him like $5 million x 3 years? Something like that? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the Rangers would offer, too.

Yes, that was the rumor I read shortly after we beat them. Believe they also offered Letang a contract to stay at the same time too.

If that hasn’t been accepted after 6 weeks, I doubt it gets done. And if he won’t settle for that type of deal there, why would he here? Unless he’s frustrated with the Penguins and wants out.

I guess we’ll see. I’m not holding my breath by any means.

Edited by RichieNextel305

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yes, that was the rumor I read shortly after we beat them. Believe they also offered Letang a contract to stay at the same time too.

If that hasn’t been accepted after 6 weeks, I doubt it gets done. And if he won’t settle for that type of deal there, why would he here? Unless he’s frustrated with the Penguins and wants out.

Because we don't owe him anything, and he might feel Pitt does.

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

Because we don't owe him anything, and he might feel Pitt does.

I see that side of it, I guess. But I still feel like the money will have to feel right for him. And though he isn’t going to get his $9.5AAV on this contract again, I don’t think he’ll settle to almost half of that. I think he’s looking for more around $7-7.5 range.

16 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I see that side of it, I guess. But I still feel like the money will have to feel right for him. And though he isn’t going to get his $9.5AAV on this contract again, I don’t think he’ll settle to almost half of that. I think he’s looking for more around $7-7.5 range.

The crazy part about that is, he hasn't played a full season in how long; so really, someone would be paying him that money with expectations of him only being present for 3/4 of the season essentially believing his value was the same as his last contract.

At his age and declining value with a flat cap; Id tell him id pay him 7.5 for a full season but seeing as he hasn't been able to deliver that, I'll give him 75% of that at 6 mil for 3 years. (Gotta think of his championship experience and what he could bring at that time of year also.)

That’s literally his only downside, his inability to stay healthy. If you look at his numbers, he’s still at his worst a PPG player.

I hate the fuck, and I do think he’s out of our price range. But, if he ever were interested in coming here for around what Pittsburgh was offering because he’s frustrated with them, Drury and the Rangers would be foolish to not have interest. As far as talent goes, for our most dire need, you can’t do better than Malkin.

56 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The crazy part about that is, he hasn't played a full season in how long; so really, someone would be paying him that money with expectations of him only being present for 3/4 of the season essentially believing his value was the same as his last contract.

At his age and declining value with a flat cap; Id tell him id pay him 7.5 for a full season but seeing as he hasn't been able to deliver that, I'll give him 75% of that at 6 mil for 3 years. (Gotta think of his championship experience and what he could bring at that time of year also.)

I don't want to pay him an over 35 deal for 3 years though.

• VINNY! 1

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah it's up there in the links I posted. 

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

RIF.

Latest from Staple...

Some click-bait? Kakko AND Chytil in a package deal...for Scheifele or Larkin?

The sources said that Chytil and Kakko could potentially wind up in a deal, though it’s certain Drury would only package them both for the likes of Scheifele or Larkin, and it’s not known if the Rangers and Red Wings have spoken about the Detroit captain, who has one season left at a $6.1 million AAV before hitting unrestricted free agency.

If only one is dealt for a center upgrade, it's likely to be Chytil:

Kaapo Kakko’s name has been bandied around as well, the same two sources say, but Kakko’s restricted-free-agent status after a disappointing, injury-plagued 2021-22 and his Game 6 benching in the Eastern Conference final likely have most teams looking to buy low on the 2019 No. 2 pick. To get in the ring on the caliber of center the Rangers have been discussing — the Canucks’ J.T. Miller, the Jets’ Mark Scheifele and Pierre-Luc Dubois, and possibly the Red Wings’ Dylan Larkin — Chytil, not Kakko, would be the main young forward in a potential deal.

So Chytil is likely worth more on the market than Kakko. Not surprising. He's a better player...and a center.

Chytil or Kakko packaged with Lundkvist for JT Miller?

The Canucks balked at trading Miller during the season unless Braden Schneider was in the deal. A league source said that with Miller entering the final season of his deal, a package of Chytil or Kakko and Lundkvist should be enough to get it done if that’s the direction Vancouver decides to go.

The options are plentiful. Going to come down to Drury's preferences along with what potential contract extensions look like.

Link: https://theathletic.com/3393413/2022/06/30/rangers-free-agency-trades/

Edited by rmc51

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Perhaps the Friedman speculation of a potential Rangers/Malkin reunion should get its own thread?

FWIW, had a few tonight, decided to throw on XBox and give Malkin a look in Broadway blue. Strange as hell.

settle down you party animal 

• LMFAO 1

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Malkin 1 year x $8mil. Low risk, high reward. I’d keep that in my back pocket if we sort everything else out and that’s our last hole. 

Where are they getting 8 million from?