• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

Assuming the only move is clearing Nemeth's cap hit, the Rangers in a best case scenario have somewhere in the vicinity of $6.5-7M maximum to spend on a center this year.

More realistically, that number is closer to $5-5.5 so they have a little more wiggle room on a halfway decent backup goalie and 4th line improvements.

Ryan Strome and Andrew Copp both intend to hit the free agent open market on July 13, multiple sources have told The Post, thus creating an urgent need for the Rangers to acquire a second-line center.

It is believed that general manager Chris Drury is focusing on the trade market rather than free agency to fill the vacancy that will be created by the departure of Strome, who has operated as the club’s second-line pivot — and Artemi Panarin’s partner — for the last three seasons.

The Rangers, who are operating with approximately $10.13 million of space with several holes that need to be filled, could not accommodate the asking prices of either Strome or Copp, who are understandably seeking to maximize their earning power at their first crack at free agency.

We’re told that neither party has closed the door to a Copp return if circumstances warrant. A second source suggested that the Rangers and Strome could take a second look at one another on Day Two of free agency if the center is unsigned and the club has not yet filled the vacancy.

The Blueshirts are believed to have interest in Winnipeg center Mark Scheifele, the 29-year-old who was selected seventh overall in 2011, immediately behind Strome and Zibanejad. Scheifele is under contract for two more seasons at an annual cap hit of $6.125 million. The Rangers could likely accommodate that but the acquisition would essentially become a two-year rental ahead of unrestricted free agency.

Come on Chris! If you can’t get PLD, just go get Pius Suter from Detroit on the cheap and kick the can down the road one more season. Make all the big long term moves next summer instead.

Larry, I know you read these boards. Put a little sweat into it and make an article about some cheaper “under the radar” stop gap options like Suter. Come on man.

28 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Come on Chris! If you can’t get PLD, just go get Pius Suter from Detroit on the cheap and kick the can down the road one more season. Make all the big long term moves next summer instead.

Larry, I know you read these boards. Put a little sweat into it and make an article about some cheaper “under the radar” stop gap options like Suter. Come on man.

16 minutes ago, josh said:

Suter has an expensive contract for what he does. No fucking thanks x1000

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You must be thinking Ryan Suter. Easy mistake to make

I forget which episode it was, but I'm pretty sure it was Elliotte Friedman recently said that the reason Yzerman wants to sign someone like Copp this summer is because they think Suter did a good enough job for who he is, but don't believe in someone his size as a big picture number two on a playoff team.

I respect the work you put in to lobby for him @rmc51 but I tend to agree — if Strome, who isn't actually that small, is somehow still too small, how is Suter not an entirely lateral move, if not a step back?

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

I forget which episode it was, but I'm pretty sure it was Elliotte Friedman recently said that the reason Yzerman wants to sign someone like Copp this summer is because they think Suter did a good enough job for who he is, but don't believe in someone his size as a big picture number two on a playoff team.

I respect the work you put in to lobby for him @rmc51 but I tend to agree — if Strome, who isn't actually that small, is somehow still too small, how is Suter not an entirely lateral move, if not a step back?

The expectation isn’t that he would be a long term solution. He might not even work as a 2C this year. This is not meant to be a good approach to field the best team on paper for next season as it is not the objective. The Rangers can blow their load on JT Miller or something if they want to max out the roster’s chances for next season only.

The objective is to:

1) provide some form of cheaper depth to the position on a short, cheap contract

2) not blow a load of assets on a one year player

3) provide competition for Chytil for one season

4) save ample cap space for a deadline move. If neither Suter nor Chytil cut it, you can target a 2c rental. If the stars align and one of them fills that hole, you still have cap space to bolster elsewhere.

5) have cap flexibility next summer. It should be infinitely easier to tell which kids are going to command how much money and how much term after one more season.

6) I’ve mentioned this before, but the crop of UFA centers looks pretty nice next year: ROR, JT Miller, Larkin, Horvat. Maybe all of those guys won’t hit the market, but you never know. Additionally, a guy like PLD sees his price in a trade go down when he’s only got 1 year left before UFA.

I’m not tied to Suter the player. In fact I have absolutely no special love for the guy. I view him as a competent player who may or may not elevate his game some more. What I’m tied to is the idea behind what bringing him in would represent. Cap and roster flexibility, when we have more $ and knowledge on the kids we have.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Latest from Staple...

Some click-bait? Kakko AND Chytil in a package deal...for Scheifele or Larkin?

If only one is dealt for a center upgrade, it's likely to be Chytil:

So Chytil is likely worth more on the market than Kakko. Not surprising. He's a better player...and a center.

Chytil or Kakko packaged with Lundkvist for JT Miller?

The options are plentiful. Going to come down to Drury's preferences along with what potential contract extensions look like.

Link: https://theathletic.com/3393413/2022/06/30/rangers-free-agency-trades/

I don't deal these kids for a rental. 

No. Especially not Kakko. 

• Like 1

30. New York Rangers: They really like Copp, but right now it’s not a financial fit. They like Ryan Strome (and he likes it there). There were times it seemed like it was gaining momentum, but, as of now, it’s not a financial fit. So they’re looking at centres on the trade market. Alexis Lafreniere’s strong playoff ruined others’ ideas of asking for him, but no question the requests are now about Filip Chytil and Kaapo Kakko. There’s probably some Braden Schneider, too, but I don’t think the Rangers want any part of that. Nils Lundkvist is much more likely. If Adam Henrique had one year left instead of two, I wondered about the Ducks eating some salary and making it work. New York was asking a high price (including a non-waiver eligible prospect) in exchange for Alexander Georgiev, but teams weren’t biting because they thought the goalie might not be qualified due to the cap squeeze.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/32-thoughts-whats-up-with-every-team-heading-into-the-nhl-draft/

🤮

After what Chytil did in the playoffs why would the Rangers not hook him up with Panarin next season and see if he's finally growing into the 2C/1C they projected him at when they took him?

When Chytil had a stable situation in the playoffs he looked very good and against a tough defensive team.

Strome leaving could be an opportunity instead of a problem.