• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I hope it works! Obviously want success for the guy. I just fear the grass won't be as green as it has been with Stromer. Is it possible that it is a symbiotic relationship and Stromer being hurt really took a toll on Bread? If thats the case during these playoffs then this pairing may mean more than we all think. Can't wait to see what Drury does.

His line was all Panarin and piggyback riders.  It would be nice if he had a linemate who could carry his own weight

8 minutes ago, CCCP said:

His line was all Panarin and piggyback riders.  It would be nice if he had a linemate who could carry his own weight

But with our cap space, how do we pick up another driver instead of a passenger? It doesn't seem possible. 

Just now, josh said:

Panarin - Namestnikov- Kravtsov 

if we are saving money. But that’s a small line that could disappear. 

I am hoping Names gets a second showing on Broadway because I was thinking the same thing!! If you go for a guy like Names, retaining Motte and Vatrano could be legit options.

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I am hoping Names gets a second showing on Broadway because I was thinking the same thing!! If you go for a guy like Names, retaining Motte and Vatrano could be legit options.

I was trying to show a quick example of cheap players that could fill the role. I’m not really behind Names coming back (although I did like him before Quinned) but who knows. But one of the things I liked about Namestnikov after the first deadline was his willingness to circle and wait for the right play. He also moved without the puck which is necessary playing with Panarin. Idk, maybe I’m talking myself into it.

but Zibanejad-Namestnikov-Chytil down the middle is the same issue as this season. Too vanilla

4 minutes ago, josh said:

I was trying to show a quick example of cheap players that could fill the role. I’m not really behind Names coming back (although I did like him before Quinned) but who knows. But one of the things I liked about Namestnikov after the first deadline was his willingness to circle and wait for the right play. He also moved without the puck which is necessary playing with Panarin. Idk, maybe I’m talking myself into it.

but Zibanejad-Namestnikov-Chytil down the middle is the same issue as this season. Too vanilla

If the Centers of these lines are serving a legitimate purpose of the three man unit then maybe the wings are where change is needed. We can only do so much with a salary cap. Sammy Blais or Krav on lines 1 and 2 could be the missing pieces for those lines (though I want Vatrano back in a big way).

You never know what a trade could look like or who may be on the move but the UFA class this year is barren for our needs and salary abilities.

10 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Paying Kadri with 87 points at 31 y.o. is akin to paying Kreider as a 50 goal scorer at 31 y.o.

We both know the replication of that success is not going to happen. This season was an outlier. Look at his career stats!

He makes 4.5 mil now @ 31 which should have been his best contract of his career due to his age when signing and career potential at that time. He happened to put up this amazing season this year and will make some extra cash because of it but he isnt going to almost double his salary at 32 years old.

Mitigating factors:

- Flat salary cap

- Age and expected decline

- Career and historical stats

- Expected progressive discipline and the chance he may sit out a larger number of games due to disciplinary history.

I'll give you the fact that he will get a raise but I don't think it gets past the sixes.

Giroux can ask for and get 8. 

Malkin can ask for and get 7/8.

Then there's the drop off in talent. Despite the big year, Kadris talent level hovers in that Strome and Copp range. He's a 45-65 point player. Always was.

Nobody is signing Kadri to be their 2nd or 3rd best player. He's not getting 8. Who's paying him 8?..... Besides Buffalo and Arizona? 

He tops out at 7 and I think he'd take 6 to play in a good situation and have more chances to win. 

If he doesn't care about winning. Sure, 8. I think he's a competitor and wouldn't want a retirement deal to rot on a loser. 

6 hours ago, josh said:

I think Namestnikov is such a has been, or never was that i think I’d rather re-sign Strome 🤮

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean...... If he comes cheap. Malkin Panarin  combo could be pretty crazy. 

Report: Pens not speaking regularly with Malkin, 2 years apart in Letang talks
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2378840

I'm in. 100%. 

Nasty streak, dynamic talent, Russian connection with Bread. Sign for the rest of Panarins contract. Id really like to see this happen.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm in. 100%. 

Nasty streak, dynamic talent, Russian connection with Bread. Sign for the rest of Panarins contract. Id really like to see this happen.

I don't know how much Russian connection there is there. Panarin was made a political target of Putin, who Malkin (along with Ovechkin and Varlamov) lobbied for years back. Outside of simply both speaking the language, is there actually some connection here? Teams they both played on in the past or something?

Didn’t Malkin say a few years back the only 2 teams he would ever leave Pittsburgh for would be the Habs or Rangers?

Not saying it would happen. But, if a divorce did happen there, I’d say we’re a hell of a lot more attractive for that ugly fuck at this stage of his career than the rebuilding Habs.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

I just hate him so much. Might be the hardest player to root for as a Ranger in ages.

I despise him.

That being said, nothing was worse for me than seeing Brashear wear a Ranger jersey. It just looked so…wrong. Probably the only time I actually couldn’t bring myself to actually root for someone once they wound up here.

I never thought I’d be okay seeing Carcillo wearing a Ranger jersey. And then he has Flyer fans flipping him off after scoring in a playoff game and I’m ready to hug the ugly fuck as much as anyone else.  

If this ugly bastard ever wound up here (he isn’t, but why not play around?), I’m sure all would be forgiven if he came in and produced big time with Panarin.

Edited by RichieNextel305

How is bringing Namestikov to be in our top 6 not basically giving up before the season even starts.  I'm sorry but that is so far from good enough to win a cup that they ought to just rebuild again.  

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Didn’t Malkin say a few years back the only 2 teams he would ever leave Pittsburgh for would be the Habs or Rangers?

Not saying it would happen. But, if a divorce did happen there, I’d say we’re a hell of a lot more attractive for that ugly fuck at this stage of his career than the rebuilding Habs.

Now that you mention it, I think he did say something like that,  but in a quick search, I can't find it. You'd think hes a Pitt lifer, but you never know. Maybe Pitt would rather move on. 

When he's healthy he's still pretty good. With his age, I have no idea what he's worth. But you'd think it can't be very long term. I believe the Pens offered him 5 X 3, which is a sweet spot. 

https://clutchpoints.com/penguins-rumor-sidney-crosby-unhappy-with-lowball-contract-offers-to-evgeni-malkin-kris-letang/

As for his remarks about Putin a few years ago, he had no comments to make about the Russia/Ukraine situation and decided to have no comment publicly about it. Seems like Sullivan made it sound like Malkin wasn't as pro Putin as he was years back, fearing using incorrect words would be a problem for him and his family in Russia. So, you'd have to wonder if there could be some kind of Russian bond with Panarin. (Drury on the other hand...  lol, kidding)  

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/evgeni-malkin-pittsburgh-penguins-mike-sullivan-addresses-russia-situation/

Hate him, but he is big, somewhat physical, productive when he plays, is a winner (Hart and Conn Smythe winner), has a history of favoritism with refs, and isn't a long term commitment.  But he sucks at the dot.

Staying healthy as an older player is the only concern for me.

I mean, I always hated Crosby more. Way more..... This guy was just a prick to play against.  Not a whiny bitch like his teammate. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, Capt said:

So now I have to root for Malkin, who's one foot into retirement  all because he's Russian, and that is a fit for Panarin?  No thanks.  

Seems like you don't want to root for anyone... 

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

Interesting question as to whether Malkin is a good fit with Panarin.  I'm wondering in general how much the organization cares about Panarin's preferences regarding personnel.   In general, hockey teams don't accommodate star players the way that NBA teams do, but it makes some sense in this case with the Rangers deciding on a 2C that since they have a $11M/yr investment in in Panarin that they would pick a player that would work well with him.

2 hours ago, Capt said:

So now I have to root for Malkin, who's one foot into retirement  all because he's Russian, and that is a fit for Panarin?  No thanks.  

You think Malkin would be bad, those of us older fans had to root for Esposito while we were still broken hearted about losing Park and Ratelle.  Now that really sucked.

• Keeps it 100 1