• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

8 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

If you’re willing to trade for O’Reilly, you might as well go after Trochek. 

ROR would have to be a bigger package to buy retention from STL.

Strome, Copp, Trochek are all going to come in at the same price point-ish.

TBH, Drury has been aggressive in his limited time. He seems to have his finger on the pulse in terms of who fits where and that combo makes me think he might make a move for someone unexpected. 

Personally, I still don't believe in Chytil. He had maybe 5 good games in the playoffs. I hope that gives him confidence but I don't there there's any chance he's the 2nd line center to start the year next year.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

ROR would have to be a bigger package to buy retention from STL.

Strome, Copp, Trochek are all going to come in at the same price point-ish.

Which I think wouldn't make sense to go after ROR when you can get Trocheck, and whatever pieces they would trade for ROR can be traded instead for assets to fit Trocheck under the cap.  One thing that Trocheck has over Strome/Copp is that he can win face-offs.  However, probably none of this is going to happen anyway but wishful thinking. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

https://nypost.com/2022/06/19/rangers-face-complicated-obstacles-to-re-sign-andrew-copp/amp/

Copp doesn't sound like staying here is a priority at all. Sings quite a different tune than Strome.

Idk what to expect. 

We will see. I’m very interested to see what the market is for him.

Its a tough call honestly if it is in fact a situation where they have to decide between Strome and Copp. I can’t see how they keep both of them.

It looks to me like the smarter play in terms of value is probably to sign Copp

He makes less right now, so he can probably be had at least slightly cheaper.

He’s a year younger than Strome.

He plays all 3 forward spots and can move between them as well as up and down the lineup as needed. He’s better in the dot. Better defensively. Kills penalties regularly. And while neither are particularly physical, Copp is a bit bigger. 

But it’s far from an easy choice or no-brainer.

Walking away from the chemistry between Strome and Panarin should not be done lightly. 

Very tough.

But they simply can’t go above 5.5 on either. Not much above anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Which I think wouldn't make sense to go after ROR when you can get Trocheck, and whatever pieces they would trade for ROR can be traded instead for assets to fit Trocheck under the cap.  One thing that Trocheck has over Strome/Copp is that he can win face-offs.  However, probably none of this is going to happen anyway but wishful thinking. 

I'm confused. Trading assets to fit Trochek? What? Like Nemeth? You don't need the same assets to ditch Nemeth that you do get ROR.

58 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

TBH, Drury has been aggressive in his limited time. He seems to have his finger on the pulse in terms of who fits where and that combo makes me think he might make a move for someone unexpected. 

Personally, I still don't believe in Chytil. He had maybe 5 good games in the playoffs. I hope that gives him confidence but I don't there there's any chance he's the 2nd line center to start the year next year.

Going into next season with Chytil as 2C would basically signal that management is OK with a step back or reset year next season. 

If they sign a 2C (Strome, Copp, Trochek) or trade (Schiefele, Toews) it means they're looking to compete and go further than they did this year.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I'm a little confused to why the Blues are considering trading O'Reilly.  

I'm hoping the Rangers don't resign either of them.  Either of those two as the Rangers #2 center is not good enough and I don't see the thought in locking in someone there for term that doesn't get you closer to winning the Cup.  In fact it makes it harder to do so with the cap implications.  The Rangers are an awful 5 on 5 team.  Not sure what resigning them does to change that.

The only option is to try find a trade partner.  That will probably mean robbing Peter to pay Paul.  The Rangers will have to trade something we don't want to part with to fill that #2 center hole.  The Rangers are loaded with defensive and wing assets.   To me nobody on the roster other than Igor is off limits.

What about Matt Duchene in Nashville?  They are looking at a rebuild.  Would they take some retention to get some young talent?

24 minutes ago, Capt said:

I'm hoping the Rangers don't resign either of them.  Either of those two as the Rangers #2 center is not good enough and I don't see the thought in locking in someone there for term that doesn't get you closer to winning the Cup.  In fact it makes it harder to do so with the cap implications.  The Rangers are an awful 5 on 5 team.  Not sure what resigning them does to change that.

The only option is to try find a trade partner.  That will probably mean robbing Peter to pay Paul.  The Rangers will have to trade something we don't want to part with to fill that #2 center hole.  The Rangers are loaded with defensive and wing assets.   To me nobody on the roster other than Igor is off limits.

What about Matt Duchene in Nashville?  They are looking at a rebuild.  Would they take some retention to get some young talent?

Is the assertion that St. Louis is willing to trade ROR a valid one?

I didn’t realize that he doesn’t have any clause in his contract for trade protection.

Odd.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Going into next season with Chytil as 2C would basically signal that management is OK with a step back or reset year next season. 

If they sign a 2C (Strome, Copp, Trochek) or trade (Schiefele, Toews) it means they're looking to compete and go further than they did this year.

There’s the halfway approach I’ve mentioned too. Bring in a cheaper, short term, 1 year $3-4M guy who might be safer than Chytil, but also wouldn’t block him from more premium ice time if he earns it. Next year needs to be a put up or shut up time for him.

Either way, the franchise is at a crossroads here and it’s a massive decision for Drury. But only one of the proposed solutions puts them in a situation where they cannot easily pivot next summer if needed and that’s the Strome/Copp/Trocheck route. It’s probably also the route that is most likely to pay off next year with a re-run of this year’s success. So…which way does Drury gamble?

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

There’s the halfway approach I’ve mentioned too. Bring in a cheaper, short term, 1 year $3-4M guy who might be safer than Chytil, but also wouldn’t block him from more premium ice time if he earns it. Next year needs to be a put up or shut up time for him.

Either way, the franchise is at a crossroads here and it’s a massive decision for Drury. But only one of the proposed solutions puts them in a situation where they cannot easily pivot next summer if needed and that’s the Strome/Copp/Trocheck route. It’s probably also the route that is most likely to pay off next year with a re-run of this year’s success. So…which way does Drury gamble?

Unless someone is taking an extreme discount, I’m avoiding free agency. Grab a role player via trade.

they need the right player, where as Strome, Trocheck seem to be mentioned simply because they’re FAs. For the right player, you deal with cap issues later. Although Copp would seem like the ideal fit, he was a complimentary player and can’t make big bucks as a passenger that [barely] checked some boxes on the want list 

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

9 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

But ROR is a winner and a leader. I like Trochek, he'd be a good fit, but I think ROR is a better and more physical player  

Their contracts are probably going to wind up in the same cap hit, but you're likely going have to give massive years and trade protection to Trocheck,  while I believe ROR only has 2 years left on his deal and no trade protection. 

You're paying for the winner and the shorter term contract, in a time you really shouldn't be committing big years to anyone not under 25. 

Depending on the price in trade, I give up assets for the player and the term. I guess in this exact scenario Scheifele is also an option, but I feel like his price tag would be much higher. 

I've been saying it since last summer.  The Rangers need to get value for prospects that they don't have spots for, moving forward.  To me it's plain.as day that Lundkvist and Jones are likely not in any Rangers future plans with Gallant behind the bench. 

A package including the 2 of them and possibly Kravtsov or Kakko, should be able to get the Rangers a sniff at either player.

I'm all about keeping those 2 wingers, but if the Rangers can upgrade at 2 C/ 1B C at the cost of one of them, I think I do it (then probably bitch about it later). 

8 hours ago, Capt said:

I brought up O'Reilly.  It's not any rumor that is put there.  With the Blues getting older and the Avs being dominant,  I brought up the notion that maybe the Blues would have interest in getting younger and starting a retooling. O'Reilly has 2 years left, Tarasenko has 1. Do they sit on them both? 

As Phil said it's an extreme long shot. Yet, I don't think it's completely not possible.  

Is Kadri an option? The Avs can't bring him back. Who can pay him and give him a chance to win? Torts would love him, and I'd hate to face him more than we'd have to, especially in that jersey. 

6X5 get it done? If we have to pay one of Strome or Copp above 5 mill, I say fuck em both and talk to Kadri.

Checks every box and I wish the Rangers had looked into acquiring him last summer when he was rumored to be on the outs after another suspension in the playoffs. 

As he ages, he slides down to 3C, or he already lines up there.

3rd line of - Goodrow- Kadri- Blais sure is appealing. As is a 2nd line of Panarin- Kadri- Kravtsov/Blais/Vatrano/Chytil/ Kakko/ Lafreniere. 

Really depends on what the plan is for kid line. 

Orrrr, would we rather the devil you know and go with the lesser players in Strome or Copp? 

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Is Kadri an option? The Avs can't bring him back. Who can pay him and give him a chance to win? Torts would love him, and I'd hate to face him more than we'd have to, especially in that jersey. 

6X5 get it done? If we have to pay one of Strome or Copp above 5 mill, I say fuck em both and talk to Kadri.

Checks every box and I wish the Rangers had looked into acquiring him last summer when he was rumored to be on the outs after another suspension in the playoffs. 

As he ages, he slides down to 3C, or he already lines up there.

3rd line of - Goodrow- Kadri- Blais sure is appealing. As is a 2nd line of Panarin- Kadri- Kravtsov/Blais/Vatrano/Chytil/ Kakko/ Lafreniere. 

Really depends on what the plan is for kid line. 

Orrrr, would we rather the devil you know and go with the lesser players in Strome or Copp? 

He’s not going to come cheap enough, and is on the back 9 of his career.

and I’m fine taking in an older guy, but only on the back end of a contract. I’m not dealing with any retirement contract 5+ years for a guy coming off a career year. 

32 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Kadri just put up 87 points. Someone is going to throw him $7mil+ per season.

I feel a little bad for Kadri at this point. He seems like a genuinely good dude who will be entirely defined by his tenure in Toronto as an unrealized player and the absolute brinks truck of money he signs for this offseason.

16 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I feel a little bad for Kadri at this point. He seems like a genuinely good dude who will be entirely defined by his tenure in Toronto as an unrealized player and the absolute brinks truck of money he signs for this offseason.

This, plus his inability to replicate the season that brought that truck in. Decline with age is a real thing. 

10 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

This, plus his inability to replicate the season that brought that truck in. Decline with age is a real thing. 

But, hes kinda getting better with age. I don't need him to replicate this season.  I need him to be a gritty, point producing center that is good at faceoffs.  

I'm fine with paying 6x5 for such a player right now. To me that's better than paying Strome- 6 X 6-7. 

I understand he SHOULD  be getting paid this summer. If he wants to win, he's not getting that 6.5-7+.  That kind of money is only coming from a bottom dweller like Philly or Buffalo. 

If they can’t lock up Copp, I switch gears and court Kadri by selling him on winning and playing with Panarin. 

Edited by The Dude

Kadri is a no go in my mind.  Age+ AAV/term are a terrible combo. Let’s also not forget he has a strong “shit head” gene when it come to some of his hits.. he was a good boy this year, but he’s a recidivist.  

I still don’t think we’re are just a Kadri short of winning a cup.