• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Scoring 30+ goals? Or points? Cuz scoring 30 goals in this league is hard and Kreider barely did it before this year and what evidence at all do you have that Chytil somehow will based on his play?

As far as Lafreniere and Kakko go... Again what had they shown for anyone to have any confidence in them until the end of the year?

Miller was already on the verge of a breakout before he was moved and was P/G for TB after the deadline. 

They're nowhere near comparable. 

Fine - their very different cases - but the point is if anyone would have suggested JT Miller had top 10 scoring, 100 pt. potential at the time he was traded, theyd've sounded crazy.

I don't have the 'evidence' that Chytil/Laf/Kakko will turn into stars, and there's certainly a chance they won't...but if you don't take enough chances on developing talent with a long term view, you end up missing out on a year or more of production from a guy like JT Miller and instead have to pay 11.5 million in free agency to a Panarin.

Edited by Jdog99

2 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Fine - their very different cases - but the point is if anyone would have suggested JT Miller had top 10 scoring, 100 pt. potential at the time he was traded, theyd've sounded crazy.

I don't have the 'evidence' that Chytil/Laf/Kakko will turn into stars, and there's certainly a chance they won't...but if you don't take enough chances on developing talent with a long term view, you end up missing out on a year or more of production from a guy like JT Miller and instead have to pay 11.5 million in free agency to a Panarin.

OK, I guess my point is you should define "given up" on Chytil (who's in his 5th year), Laf, and Kakko...Because of the 3 it's been suggested to move:

• Chytil due to not having a role
  • Kakko to prevent offersheeting
  • Lafreniere, no one has suggested trading him

So what does "given up on" mean? Being highly critical of their level of suck?

2 hours ago, Pete said:

OK, I guess my point is you should define "given up" on Chytil (who's in his 5th year), Laf, and Kakko...Because of the 3 it's been suggested to move:

• Chytil due to not having a role
  • Kakko to prevent offersheeting
  • Lafreniere, no one has suggested trading him

So what does "given up on" mean? Being highly critical of their level of suck?

Its fair to be disappointed with their progress. But unless and until you replace them with a promising prospect as opposed to an expensive proven commodity, you bite the bullet and hope for the best. 

37 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Its fair to be disappointed with their progress. But unless and until you replace them with a promising prospect as opposed to an expensive proven commodity, you bite the bullet and hope for the best. 

OK. I get that. 

But, through this lens, doesn't sound like anyone gave up on Lafreniere or Kakko.

1 hour ago, Lord Al said:

Well NYR are still in on the JT Miller front now I want to see what happens with Patrick Kane and towns from Chicago

I don’t want Miller. For what we would have to give up and then not be able to re-sign him, it’s not worth it. Hearing he wants $7-8M a year, no thanks. 

• Like 1

I dont know what it'll take to get miller, but i imagine theres a package going the other way that leaves the rangers in a win now position next year. And who knows what the future holds anyways...may be worth the risk.

Edited by Jdog99
  • Like 1