• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

The more I think about it, the more I like the Dylan Strome idea.   I'd like to see Chytil take the next step in his development and take over the #2 center spot but signing either Ryan Strome or Andrew Copp or any other established center for that matter will block Chytil and at that point make him either a bottom 6 center or trade piece.  Bringing in Dylan Strome who is a similar age to compete with Chytil should raise both of their games, and whichever doesn't win the 2C spot will be the 3C and will be pushing the other.

Dyland Strome at $4M x 3 would also hopefully allow the resigning of Tyler Motte at around $2M per.

• Keeps it 100 1

If by any chance they decide to bring in Dylan Strome they should do it on a 1 year contract.  The Rangers would be stupid to hand out 3 or 4 years at any money to a guy who couldn't find traction in Arizona or Chicago.  He is not the missing piece and $4m at 3 is going to hurt when the buyout comes.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

So do most players we can afford. So best to just stop whining.

Should everyone just shut up and fall in line with your thinking?  Got it.  The Rangers would do best by not handing out contracts to flawed players that they almost immediately regret signing and then have to buyout.  One year flyer on him is fine.  3 years is just plain dumb.  It's is not whining pointing out that this team consistently fucks up in this regard.  Buyouts are a huge cap drain and in this case their is no need to enter into that risk

The problem with Strome, as I think it was Pete that mentioned, you still don’t add much needed identity to those centers. You’d still need to make another move for a center that plays big and/or feisty in a shutdown role. 

• Bullseye 1

5 minutes ago, Capt said:

Should everyone just shut up and fall in line with your thinking?  Got it.  The Rangers would do best by not handing out contracts to flawed players that they almost immediately regret signing and then have to buyout.  One year flyer on him is fine.  3 years is just plain dumb.  It's is not whining pointing out that this team consistently fucks up in this regard.  Buyouts are a huge cap drain and in this case their is no need to enter into that risk

Do you have to start every post with an attitude? If so, just stop replying to me. 

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

People should stop using the term "gifted ice time". There's stuff behind the scenes that people don't know about, that coaches look for, which are the reason some players get ice time and some don't.

No one in the NHL is "gifted" anything, they get a shot and they either stick or they don't. Dylan was P/G over the 2nd half of last year. He has always produced with ice time and linemates.

Not saying the same can be said about Dylan Strome, but I can pull up a million posts on this forum over the last 2-3 seasons about how Kakko and Lafreniere should be sent to Hartford because they were not playing NHL  quality hockey. Especially during Kakko’s first year. Whether we call it being gifted a roster spot, ice time, a longer leash without earning it, whatever it may be, these are pretty prime examples of it. I think it’s actually quite prevalent, but not always without merit. The optics of sending a top pick down can be bad for everyone.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Now that i think more about it,  I think I'd rather go with Chytil. 

Dylan was gifted top minutes on bad/falling teams and still only managed to hover in that 50 point range and couldn't get traded to anyone, while there was a big need for depth centers this season.  

If you're bringing in B tier players, why not just go with Chytil? To me it's a bigger reward in the risk/reward department. To me, if you're bringing in tier B guys, you have to go with a different style player than what's here and what they've had. 

Dylan is a nice option if they were looking for depth. Not for the 2 C. I feel like that dude is teetering on extra forward territory,  much like Ryan was, when the Rangers brought him in. Only, not as talented.  

Why bring in this reclamation project,  when they haven't even given their own project a chance. 

Chytil over Dylan.  Stastny over Dylan. Probably White over Dylan.   

22 y.o

2019- 23 points in 75 games

2020- 23 points in 60 games

2021- 22 points in 42 games

2022- 22 points in 67 games

25 y.o

2019-  57 points in 78 games

2020- 38 points in 58 games

2021- 17 points in 40 games

2022- 48 points in 69 games

48 minutes ago, Capt said:

How can anyone say "nobody was taking him" unless of course nobody took him.

He didn't get traded. Was on the block all season. Looking at what Chicago is doing,  I doubt they were asking for much. Nobody was taking him.  Nobody took him.. 

Owns.. Ownsssss.

19 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Not saying the same can be said about Dylan Strome, but I can pull up a million posts on this forum over the last 2-3 seasons about how Kakko and Lafreniere should be sent to Hartford because they were not playing NHL  quality hockey. Especially during Kakko’s first year. Whether we call it being gifted a roster spot, ice time, a longer leash without earning it, whatever it may be, these are pretty prime examples of it. I think it’s actually quite prevalent, but not always without merit. The optics of sending a top pick down can be bad for everyone.

Sorry, but I don't see it the same way. Laf and Kakko weren't getting top 6 minutes consistently, nor were they getting any kind of power play time at all.

They seem a step slow for the NHL, so that would mean the best place for them to develop is probably the AHL. I don't know what that has to do with being gifted ice time.

Frankly I would love to see how much faster a player like Alf would have found his confidence after a short stint in the AHL. But that's for another thread. 

9 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

22 y.o

2019- 23 points in 75 games

2020- 23 points in 60 games

2021- 22 points in 42 games

2022- 22 points in 67 games

25 y.o

2019-  57 points in 78 games

2020- 38 points in 58 games

2021- 17 points in 40 games

2022- 48 points in 69 games

2019-Linemates, icetime, PP

2020-Linemates, icetime, PP

2021-Linemates, icetime,  PP

2022- Linemates, icetime , PP

Can't compare their stats when they played totally different roles. Chytil hasn't gotten 2nd line minutes much less top line minutes, or PP time.

Strome also has 2 years of age on Chytil. Their career paths are completely different. Strome was a 3 OA pick and was given opportunity on bad teams (like most high picks). Chytil is/was buried behind better veterans. 4 years later, still hasn't been given such an opportunity.  

If Chytil started in Phoenix or the start of the downfall of Chicago. He'd have gotten such an opportunity. I won't comment on if I think he'd have similar results. It's useless to speculate. 

48 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sorry, but I don't see it the same way. Laf and Kakko weren't getting top 6 minutes consistently, nor were they getting any kind of power play time at all.

They seem a step slow for the NHL, so that would mean the best place for them to develop is probably the AHL. I don't know what that has to do with being gifted ice time.

Frankly I would love to see how much faster a player like Alf would have found his confidence after a short stint in the AHL. But that's for another thread. 

You started with saying nobody is gifted ice time, and expanded it to nobody is gifted anything.

If a player is in need of more developing in a lower league, but doesn't get sent down, I would consider that being gifted a roster spot. If a player in that kind of situation is still getting 13-14 minutes a night on the 2nd or 3rd line, they are pretty much being gifted ice time on top of it.

I think Lafreniere would have dominated the AHL and it would have done wonders for his confidence. I think Kakko would struggle to produce, just like he has at the NHL level.

Edited by rmc51

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So do most players we can afford. So best to just stop whining.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Do you have to start every post with an attitude? If so, just stop replying to me. 

Lol you told me to stop whining for making my point about not wanting more buyout contracts.  Then complain that I have the attitude.  That's rich

19 minutes ago, Capt said:

Lol you told me to stop whining for making my point about not wanting more buyout contracts.  Then complain that I have the attitude.  That's rich

I was talking about the fan base in general, not you specifically. You take everything way too personally.

28 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You started with saying nobody is gifted ice time, and expanded it to nobody is gifted anything.

If a player is in need of more developing in a lower league, but doesn't get sent down, I would consider that being gifted a roster spot. If a player in that kind of situation is still getting 13-14 minutes a night on the 2nd or 3rd line, they are pretty much being gifted ice time on top of it.

I think Lafreniere would have dominated the AHL and it would have done wonders for his confidence. I think Kakko would struggle to produce, just like he has at the NHL level.

I just don't see it the same way you do, at all.

23 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Either I'm not following what you're saying or it comes off as contradictory: "he should be in the A cause he needs to develop, but he's not being gifted a NHL roster spot".

It's pretty simple. Those who watch players nightly can see where the holes are in their games. Lafreniere and Kakko specifically looked a step slow for the NHL. Combined with they fact they had limited roles and even found themselves on the 4th line or benched. 

I seriously doubt anyone here watched Dylan Strome closely enough over his career to say he was gifted ice time based on the eyeball test. It's a snap judgement based on a quick look at his age, draft position, and stat sheet. 

You want it to be one size fits all comment, but it's not. 

Edited by Pete

On Canucks  Central ::::

Seravalli mentions his understanding is Kadri is at the top of the Rangers priority list.
 Seravalli also hinting Rangers would be in on Patrick Kane if he became available. ( start at 44:25
https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/frank-seravalli-with-the-latest-on-jt-miller-and-rfas-around-the-nhl/

Edited by Lord Al

4 minutes ago, Lord Al said:

Seravalli mentions his understanding is Kadri is at the top of the Rangers priority list.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/canucks-central-at-noon/frank-seravalli-with-the-latest-on-jt-miller-and-rfas-around-the-nhl/

Seravalli apparently only excelled in English and Literature and struggled with math in school. Unless the Rangers are starting a new trend of icing a 3 line team, i dont forsee this as possible.

7 minutes ago, Lord Al said:

Seravalli also hinting Rangers would be in on Patrick Kane if he became available.

I heard we are getting Mats Sundin too 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's pretty simple. Those who watch players nightly can see where the holes are in their games. Lafreniere and Kakko specifically looked a step slow for the NHL. Combined with they fact they had limited roles and even found themselves on the 4th line or benched. 

I seriously doubt anyone here watched Dylan Strome closely enough over his career to say he was gifted ice time based on the eyeball test. It's a snap judgement based on a quick look at his age, draft position, and stat sheet. 

You want it to be one size fits all comment, but it's not. 

Huh? How is anything I said one size fits all? It wholly depends on situation, but gifting does happen.

Your comment was one size fits all:

No one in the NHL is "gifted" anything

7 minutes ago, Lord Al said:

Seravalli also hinting Rangers would be in on Patrick Kane if he became available.

Nah. Kadri is going to get 1,000,000,000 X 50.

They really gotta get rid of Nemeth. Can't go into free agency with that contract holding them back from negotiating. 

I wonder if they are also shopping Kakko. That's another 2+ mill. 

I'd love Kadri here. Not sure if I pick him at the cost of dealing Kakko for capspace. Chytil on the other hand.... 

Sorry, I'm just expecting a big step by Kakko this coming season. 

Isn’t Kadri older than Drury was when he retired?

oh, and Drury don’t leak. Any rumors about rangers are completely fabricated, and if it comes from a client’s rep,

they’re getting shut out. Not the biggest Drury fan, but love watching the drama he brings.  Or is that zero-drama?!? 

• Bullseye 1

9 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Huh? How is anything I said one size fits all? It wholly depends on situation, but gifting does happen.

Your comment was one size fits all:

Well my point is that it's not true. It's not true of Laf and Kakko because at the very least the effort was there.

How anyone can say what's being "gifted" to players on other teams unless you're watching every night is beyond me. 

People said Howden was being "gifted" ice time over Lias. But Lias still sucks and Howden is at least productive. 

Edited by Pete