• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

I’m surprised by any Kadri talk. I just can’t see it. 

Coming off the best season of his career and winning a Cup he’s going to have multiple deals on the table with 7 years of guaranteed paydays, for what, $50-60 million? Perhaps even slightly above that. I can’t see him leaving much money on the table.

Moreover… if he were to leave money on the table, why do so to go elsewhere?

If he takes less, he’s stupid to do so anywhere but Colorado, unless he hates it there, and there’s nothing to suggest that he feels anything but the opposite.

That team has multiple Cups written all over it. 

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I wouldn't. Not consistently, at least. Chytil needs talented player to play with.

I guess I am holding out hope that Chytil will blossom into that 60-point 2nd line center and the third line can then become that relentless fore-checking line that scores timely goals like the Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow line in TB.

2 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I guess I am holding out hope that Chytil will blossom into that 60-point 2nd line center and the third line can then become that relentless fore-checking line that scores timely goals like the Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow line in TB.

Well, in that case, yes. Goodrow-Trocheck is a solid start there.

3 minutes ago, Capt said:

So Gaudreau just signed for $9.7AV.  Thats's $1.9MAV less than Panarin.  So I guess the market says Panarin is overpaid by about $2M.  Anyone care to take the L?

Why not bring up Crosby deal signed like a decade+ ago too? Lol 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Say it with me for the students in the back... Signed 👏 before 👏 flat 👏 cap. 

Oh but you're moving the goal posts now.  We were talking in today's market.  I was told to watch what Gaudreau signs for.  Yes the pandemic happened, it doesn't mean you approach your decisions going forward like it didn't.  Fact is Artemi Panarin with this cap level is overpaid by $2M a year.  I was told to take the L. with no facts other than opinion.  Fact is Johnny Gaudreau is a pretty close comparable to Panarin.  He got $2M less to play in Columbus, yes Columbus. 

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

Why not bring up Crosby deal signed like a decade+ ago too? Lol 

I don't get what's lol about my point.  We were talking Panarin being overpaid or not in today's NHL.  Gaudreau signed today.  Who gives a shit that the cap didn't go up.  The situation changed and while Panarin's contract might have been fair when he signed it, it isn't good for the Rangers now.  I argue that they should try to trade him because his contract is not good value today and it's only going to get worse.  I was met with post after post how he's not overpaid.  The market just spoke.    

45 minutes ago, Capt said:

I don't get what's lol about my point.  We were talking Panarin being overpaid or not in today's NHL.  Gaudreau signed today.  Who gives a shit that the cap didn't go up.  The situation changed and while Panarin's contract might have been fair when he signed it, it isn't good for the Rangers now.  I argue that they should try to trade him because his contract is not good value today and it's only going to get worse.  I was met with post after post how he's not overpaid.  The market just spoke.    

The markets sees Panarin is 4th in ppg and Gaudreau is 20th over the last 3 years.

• TroCheckmark 1

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

Keirik was awarded the badge 'Reacting Well' and 1 points.

13 minutes ago, Capt said:

Nope. You're either intentionally being stubborn or don't understand how a changing market works when the hockey equivalent of a market crash happens. Today's market didn't "speak" on what Panarin signed three years ago pre flat cap. 3 years ago there was no such thing as a flat cap or an escrow problem or the fact that every single GM in the league had to re-learn on the fly exactly how to navigate a new world for an unknown amount of time.  

You can't compare a flat cap Era to a pre flat cap era. You are severely discounting how big of an impact its been on contracts to have 3 straight seasons of an 81.5m cap ceiling. Next year it is 82.5m for a 1m increase. That's the lowest increase in over a decade even if you include the year it went down post lockout I believe since it was a prorated cap. 

Since the last nhl lockout in 12/13, the cap has gone from 60m to 81.5m in 7 seasons. SEVEN. Panarin signs his deal (which wasn't even the highest offer he got) with the notion that there is zero reason to believe that cap increase trend won't continue with that average 3m per year increase. Some years it was 5m, some years it was 2m, but EVERY year it went up. If the Pandemic never hits, the cap ceiling right now is likely around 90m and guys like Gaudreau likely are looking at 12m or so. You're not even also acknowledging that there are credible reports saying Gaudreau was even offered more than he took. 

• Bullseye 5
  • The Chyt! 1
  • TroCheckmark 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

7 hours ago, Keirik said:

You're not even also acknowledging that there are credible reports saying Gaudreau was even offered more than he took. 

Awesome post, but this is really the only line that truly matters. He was offered up to 12 per year. 

• Applause 1

Getting lost in all of this- Panarin is the better player, and should be paid more. Gaudreau made a personal choice and left a ton of money on the table. This tells me Bread is slotted exactly where he should be in the market place. 

Edited by Flynn