• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

The Rangers could get Kadri if Drury can engineer a trade whereby Kadri would sign with a third team that would assume 50 percent of the contract before immediately sending him to New York for a package of futures.

I’m thinking that tanking Chicago and Arizona would be perfect candidates with which to pull off the caper, clubs that are willing to take on bad contracts and money in exchange for the kind of return they would receive from the Rangers.

Imagine if the Blueshirts could get a second-line center for the next five or six years for an annual cap hit of between $3.5 million and $4 million per. That would be massive. For the Rangers would not only get the player they covet, they would have up to an additional $2 million to $2.5 million of previously projected spoken-for space that might allow the team to re-up Tyler Motte or even Andrew Copp.

The offer would start with Nils Lundkvist. If including Vitali Kravtsov in the deal would allow the club to retain Copp, then that would not be a deal-breaker. It’s the same story. The Rangers would wall off Igor Shesterkin, Adam Fox, Alexis Lafreniere, K’Andre Miller, Braden Schneider, Ryan Lindgren, Brennan Othmann, Will Cuylle and the no-move veterans. They should be very reluctant to part with next year’s first-rounder.

Would I want to trade Kakko for Kadri? No, I’d want the 21-year-old Finn to play beside Kadri. But if the Rangers think that No. 24 might get an offer sheet, or, more to the point, if they don’t think he is a part of their future, getting both a coveted 2C plus attendant cap space for him would be a pretty decent return.    

https://nypost.com/2022/07/12/how-rangers-can-pull-off-adding-nazem-kadri-in-nhl-free-agency/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter_app

I thought there was a waiting period before a player could be traded after signing. Maybe that’s just when matching offer sheets.

Kadri 3 yrs x $10M , funneled through Chicago at half cost.

Kadri gets way more AAV than he’ll get otherwise. Rangers get Kadri for 3 yrs at 5M. Chicago probably nets Kakko in such a deal.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

It's the day before free agency and everyone is bluffing.

Unless somebody is willing to come here for less than has been advertised so far, or if we could move out some long-term salary, we're going bargain bin shopping... D Strome or a D Strome-like object. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that Drury has something up his sleeve that we didn't think of.  I think you're probably right though, Pete on the bargain bin.

I still wouldn't be upset if we kept Stromer Boner!

41 minutes ago, Phil said:

I like Kadri a lot and think he's exactly the type of player we need here but that's a lot of moving parts and a lot of trust needs to involved to pull something like this off.  Has something like this ever been done before?  

9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I like Kadri a lot and think he's exactly the type of player we need here but that's a lot of moving parts and a lot of trust needs to involved to pull something like this off.  Has something like this ever been done before?  

Not that I can recall, no. Certainly not immediately after a signing. This feels like the kind of thing the NHL would punish teams for trying to do, too, because this very clearly violates the spirit of the CBA. Like, sure, get caught trying, I guess, but I'd be shocked if a team pulled this off and the league didn't void it almost immediately citing, in effect, money laundering.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not that I can recall, no. Certainly not immediately after a signing. This feels like the kind of thing the NHL would punish teams for trying to do, too, because this very clearly violates the spirit of the CBA. Like, sure, get caught trying, I guess, but I'd be shocked if a team pulled this off and the league didn't void it almost immediately citing, in effect, money laundering.

The NHL is super fucking weird with how it chooses to enforce its rules and this would be an absolutely insane bit of collusive creativity. I'm unaware of any rule preventing this from happening.

This is certainly a way to weaponize free agent cap space, and I'm with you on the "get caught trying" bit. The worst that happens is that there's a sternly worded tweet and they fire the whole front office anyway.

A quick rundown of some other free-agent centers who would be more short-term choices: Claude Giroux turned down a request to waive his no-trade to go from Philly to the Rangers near the deadline and, a league source says, likely wouldn’t consider the Rangers now. Another league source says the Rangers have shown no interest in Paul Stastny, who could still contribute at 36.

https://theathletic.com/3417766/2022/07/12/rangers-free-agency-center-copp/?source=user_shared_article

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

LOL, thought the same. Fully expect a two-year deal now.

Stastny just checks too many boxes to have zero interest. Vet C, short term committment, probably discounted in exchange for chance to win, faceoffs, still productive, etc. Drury has to be hiding it. Not saying I expected him to be all in on him or anything, but to have no interest? Nope. Don’t believe that one bit lol

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/3415961/2022/07/11/nhl-free-agency-targets-qualifying-offers/

Since arriving in Chicago, Dylan Strome has scored 154 points in 225 games, a 56-points per 82 games clip. It was a big surprise then, that he wasn’t qualified at his modest $3.6 million rate, considering the Blackhawks are swimming in cap space. Even if he didn’t factor into the club’s long-term plans, it would have been better for Chicago to come to a short-term agreement and trade him at the deadline rather than let him walk for nothing.

Alas, here we are.

Strome’s a very useful middle-six centre who should be attractive for teams that need help down the middle. Since the 2019-20 campaign, Strome has scored 1.92 points per hour at five-on-five, which is a bona fide top-six rate.

There are yellow flags to keep in mind though. For one, Strome’s skating is still sluggish which makes him a questionable two-way player. Because of that, he needs to be carefully and strategically deployed to succeed. The Blackhawks knew this as they fed Strome a heavy dosage of offensive zone starts, mostly played him against bottom-six competition and lined up Patrick Kane on his wing for long stretches.

The fit is key: Strome makes a lot of sense for a team that needs an offensively-gifted middle-six centre on a sheltered scoring line.

Sounds more like the situation we need Chytil to be in to succeed. Can't have two of them with sheltered matchups. Someone needs to step up, or we need to sign someone who can. 

5 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think the chances of that type of scenario happening are about as likely as Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried inviting themselves over my place for an all day Means Girl 3-way.

Try getting Lindsay Lohan over solo.  Much better chances.

• LMFAO 1

21 hours ago, Phil said:

21 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I thought there was a waiting period before a player could be traded after signing. Maybe that’s just when matching offer sheets.

Kadri 3 yrs x $10M , funneled through Chicago at half cost.

Kadri gets way more AAV than he’ll get otherwise. Rangers get Kadri for 3 yrs at 5M. Chicago probably nets Kakko in such a deal.

It’s an interesting possibility and fun to discuss in an academically speculative fashion… but there’s so many moving parts and so much that would have to fall into place for that to happen, it’s a snowball’s chance in hell kind of long-shot.

Bold though. Very bold.

Drury needs balls as big as an Irish broads ass to pull that one off.