• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

5 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I can't see why Ryan moving on would influence Dylan to not come to New York. Unless there's been a complete burning of bridges, which I doubt, the Rangers have been nothing but good to Ryan. Ryan is going to get paid somewhere and I doubt he'd discourage his brother from mimicking his route.

Exactly, they all understand it's a business. 

• Bullseye 2

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Exactly, they all understand it's a business. 

6 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't think Strome is leaving us with a bad taste in his mouth. The money doesn't work for him. It'll probably work for his brother. All good.

If Ryan Strome is headed outta here, sure....I'll roll with you guys.  I was thinking he'd (Ryan) be staying here in NY though.

26 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't think Strome is leaving us with a bad taste in his mouth. The money doesn't work for him. It'll probably work for his brother. All good.

Well, we don’t know the numbers. Hypothetically, if the Rangers won’t give him $5.5, but offer his brother 4.5, that seems like a slap in the face to basically say Ryan isn’t worth the extra mill after what he’s given to the team the last few years.

“It’s not personal. It’s just business.”, until it’s not.

3 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Well, we don’t know the numbers. Hypothetically, if the Rangers won’t give him $5.5, but offer his brother 4.5, that seems like a slap in the face to basically say Ryan isn’t worth the extra mill after what he’s given to the team the last few years.

“It’s not personal. It’s just business.”, until it’s not.

The hangup, according to Friedman, wasn't dollars. It was term. Drury wants flexibility.

So where it gets ugly is if they offer Dylan the term that they never offered Ryan. 

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

The hangup, according to Friedman, wasn't dollars. It was term. Drury wants flexibility.

So where it gets ugly is if they offer Dylan the term that they never offered Ryan. 

Do we know what the hang-up on term is? Was it like 3 years vs. 4 or 4 years vs. 7-8?

You just can't responsibly have him signed until he is 36 years old. There is a 3-4 year window here until Panarin, Zibinejad, Trouba & Kreider start to(supposedly) provide diminishing returns on their contracts.

I am OK with up to 4 years at 5.5 million for Ryan Strome; anything more or longer let someone else overpay for that.

9 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Do we know what the hang-up on term is? Was it like 3 years vs. 4 or 4 years vs. 7-8?

You just can't responsibly have him signed until he is 36 years old. There is a 3-4 year window here until Panarin, Zibinejad, Trouba & Kreider start to(supposedly) provide diminishing returns on their contracts.

I am OK with up to 4 years at 5.5 million for Ryan Strome; anything more or longer let someone else overpay for that.

I'm certain @Pete as our resident Strome expert will remember this better than I would, but I seem to recall leaks during the season that Strome wanted 6 years.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:48 PM, Br4d said:

So it's day 2 of free agency.  The first wave has gone by and it did not include Strome or Copp.

The Rangers can have either or both for $5M/6 years with a 3 year NMC.

What do you do?

Sign neither. Work a trade or go in with Chytil at 2C for a while and wait for an in-season deal.

• Applause 1

Gotta find the right term. I'd argue they can't really afford anyone long-term. But I also get that they think they can win a championship with what they have under contract in the next two years, so it might be a "that's a problem for tomorrow" kind of thing. Would fully explain their heavy interest in Kadri. That part definitely goes to "the right player." They'd probably be a lot more comfortable giving Kadri more dollars and term than giving Strome term at all.

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sign neither. Work a trade or go in with Chytil at 2C for a while and wait for an in-season deal.

In a lot of ways the Rangers are in a very tough spot right now.

They did much better than expected last year and with some breaks in the playoffs they were on the verge of a SCF.

However they do not have that kind of depth again at this moment.  There is very little likelihood of this roster with the addition of one more forward going as far as they did last season.  It looks like a 90-95 pt season is more likely and a quick exit against a top-tier team with depth in the first round.

Then you try to scry two years up the pike and the picture is so cloudy and random events are likely to be a significant factor also.

I think if the Rangers can put a good simulacrum of last year's team on the ice in 2022-23 they have to do what they can to make that happen.

Not counting on Chytil to be a 2C.  Not counting on Kakko to suddenly turn it on.  Lafreniere they have to count on because if he doesn't come through everything is kind of screwed up long-term anyway.  The other high picks are 50/50 at best to turn into what the Rangers were hoping for and I doubt the odds are actually that good.

So if I'm Chris Drury I think I am planning to stack as much proven talent as I can again this year and then swim out of the avalanche in 2023-24 by trading cheaply or buying out the players that need to move to let the salary cap accommodate the young guys who proved out and are now due.

A step back this season could easily wipe out the window if the young guys mostly fail and we get a key injury or two the following season.

Edited by Br4d
Premature post ending

9 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

5x5, welcome to NY Dylan!! Chicago is solving everyone's problems. And for anyone going to say this isn't the answer because he isnt gritty enough or whatever.  This is beyond a small upgrade of trying Chytil at 2c. Go get em Chris!

Chicago isn't going to qualify Strome at 3.6, but we are gonna give him 5? How about giving him 3.6 X 3? 

Nobody was taking him as he was dangled to everyone last season with no takers. I'm definitely not giving him 5 mill. An interesting option though. 

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Chicago isn't going to qualify Strome at 3.6, but we are gonna give him 5? How about giving him 3.6 X 3? 

Nobody was taking him as he was dangled to everyone last season with no takers. I'm definitely not giving him 5 mill. An interesting option though. 

That is fair. Maybe even 4 mil x 2 years? Stop gap. Cheap and very capable it seems. This just seems like a gift. We need cheap production at C and suddenly this carrot gets dangled.

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

That is fair. Maybe even 4 mil x 2 years? Stop gap. Cheap and very capable it seems. This just seems like a gift. We need cheap production at C and suddenly this carrot gets dangled.

Now that i think more about it,  I think I'd rather go with Chytil. 

Dylan was gifted top minutes on bad/falling teams and still only managed to hover in that 50 point range and couldn't get traded to anyone, while there was a big need for depth centers this season.  

If you're bringing in B tier players, why not just go with Chytil? To me it's a bigger reward in the risk/reward department. To me, if you're bringing in tier B guys, you have to go with a different style player than what's here and what they've had. 

Dylan is a nice option if they were looking for depth. Not for the 2 C. I feel like that dude is teetering on extra forward territory,  much like Ryan was, when the Rangers brought him in. Only, not as talented.  

Why bring in this reclamation project,  when they haven't even given their own project a chance. 

Chytil over Dylan.  Stastny over Dylan. Probably White over Dylan.   

People should stop using the term "gifted ice time". There's stuff behind the scenes that people don't know about, that coaches look for, which are the reason some players get ice time and some don't.

No one in the NHL is "gifted" anything, they get a shot and they either stick or they don't. Dylan was P/G over the 2nd half of last year. He has always produced with ice time and linemates.

Edited by Pete

10 hours ago, Pete said:

I think it would be a very good move.

But like I said earlier, you're still going to get the same exact whining about baby bro. 

It's almost like these mid-range players all have similar faults in their games, and that's why they make five or six million dollars instead of nine or ten million dollars. 🤔

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Copp is not a good defensive player. Certainly in the ballpark of Ryan.

If you sign Dylan, that's not the expectation, so Goodrow needs to be the 3C on a more defensive until that might also chip some in. Chytil would be the odd man out, again.

Also not sure how anyone can say "30 GMs don't think he's worth $3M gamble"...Why trade for someone you can have as a UFA and not give up any assets for?

You trade for him if you think he's worth it because you then own his rights and he's a RFA.  If you think he's a capable player him being a UFA doesn't mean you're getting him, unless you think no other GM values him at all.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

How can anyone say "nobody was taking him" unless of course nobody took him.

6 minutes ago, Capt said:

You trade for him if you think he's worth it because you then own his rights and he's a RFA.  If you think he's a capable player him being a UFA doesn't mean you're getting him, unless you think no other GM values him at all.

Dylan’s value mid-season would have been a 3rd pick, at most, he filled a spot, and they still didn’t do it. Now, we think we’ll bid against other teams? Nah. If they get him at a low value like they did Ryan (and brassard, and Zibanejad) then maybe. I highly doubt D Strome ranks too high on the want list. He’s on the “well, we need another center, maybe he’s really cheap” list 

9 minutes ago, josh said:

Dylan’s value mid-season would have been a 3rd pick, at most, he filled a spot, and they still didn’t do it. Now, we think we’ll bid against other teams? Nah. If they get him at a low value like they did Ryan (and brassard, and Zibanejad) then maybe. I highly doubt D Strome ranks too high on the want list. He’s on the “well, we need another center, maybe he’s really cheap” list 

I mean, that is the list right now.

• Bullseye 1