• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Happens at Center?

Phil

Get Kadri here for 6.5/ 7. Deal Chytil and Nemeth, sign White cheap and i think this roster works nicely with a lot of potential moving parts. 

Kreider- Zibanejad- Kakko

Panarin- Kadri- Kravtsov 

Lafreniere- White- Blais

Motte- Goodrow- Reaves

Extra forwards - Gauthier and combination of FAs with size that can play C or wing Sturm/Bjugstad/ Athanasiou, all likely available at league minimum, PTOs... 

If Othmann shows enough, you drop Blais to 4th line RW and you figure out who moves to their off wing onto the right. 

Motte is obviously a luxury here in this proposed roster. Not sure he even fits under cap. 

Hunt is flushed down the toilet. 

22 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Looks like Andrew Copp is off to free agency

I'm good with this. Copp's deal is the kind you instantly regret when it's signed. He fell off hard after the first round.

• Bullseye 1

I wonder what the hang up was. I hate how much we gave up for the rental but do appreciate the experience garnered for the kid line.

Seems like the feeling is the team wants to fill the 2c role and not promote Chytil if you read between the lines of the media blurbs.

• Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I wonder what the hang up was. I hate how much we gave up for the rental but do appreciate the experience garnered for the kid line.

Seems like the feeling is the team wants to fill the 2c role and not promote Chytil if you read between the lines of the media blurbs.

There's no reason to. They had to take a big swing this season because of what was happening with Shesty, Kreider, and the powerplay. No guarantees  any of that is replicated next season so they had to go for it.

They are loaded with young talent and IMO do better in the 2nd/3rd rounds finding gems than maybe any other team not named Tampa. I think they will be OK. They have a core in CK, Zib, Panarin, Trouba, and then they have core 2.0 in Lafreniere, Miller, Fox, Schneider, and if he ever get his shit figured out, Kakko.

• Cheers 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's no reason to. They had to take a big swing this season because of what was happening with Shesty, Kreider, and the powerplay. No guarantees  any of that is replicated next season so they had to go for it.

They are loaded with young talent and IMO do better in the 2nd/3rd rounds finding gems than maybe any other team not named Tampa. I think they will be OK. They have a core in CK, Zib, Panarin, Trouba, and then they have core 2.0 in Lafreniere, Miller, Fox, Schneider, and if he ever get his shit figured out, Kakko.

(Walks back off ledge) Thanks Pete!

Gotta get this center depth figured out. Crazy we lose two of em (3 if you count Copp) when we were paper thin at that position to begin with. We really need more than just a 2c. We need a couple of guys to back fill in case of injuries.

11 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Why? It was all lottery tickets. Barron included. They gave up nothing of significance and it took them to the ECF. I'm good with it.

• Cheers 1

• The biggest news Monday was Evgeni Malkin announcing he will test free agency. It appears as if talks broke down with the final formal proposals being the player asking for a three-year contract in the $7Ms, and the Penguins offering three years in the $6Ms. I do think a four-year, $6.1M idea was conceptually discussed, but Malkin, frustrated with the entire process, ended things before it went anywhere.

There’s always a chance he could return, but the Penguins can’t afford a massive hole behind Sidney Crosby. (It is believed Vincent Trocheck is one of their targets. I’d thought the possibility of Boston for Trocheck, but impending returns of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci make the Rangers and Penguins more likely.) 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-market-buzz-latest-on-flyers-senators-whats-next-for-malkin/

27 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Appreciate what Copp brought to the team. Was worth the move IMO. We took a swing. I wonder if he looks to head home to the Red Wings?

Absolutely!  I agree, Richie.  This year's draft seemed to be less talent rich.  So that 1st wasn't that terrible a trade off.

Pete's right too; Our core is in place now, and we're in a good spot...and anytime we could take a swing due to having the resources to do so??  Sure!  Why not!

Copp did us proud, and had we gotten a few bounces, and maybe put away Tampa in Game 3 when we had that chance, we may be dancing in the streets with a silver chalice....who knows?

1 minute ago, Slobberknocker said:

i dont see how they fit in kadri without making some major moves, especially when they have to start paying the kids next year.

I don't think we're adding Kadri, Kane, Malkin or anyone like that.  I think it's going to be someone we probably didn't even think of, Slobby!  😃

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I don't think we're adding Kadri, Kane, Malkin or anyone like that.  I think it's going to be someone we probably didn't even think of, Slobby!  😃

It's the day before free agency and everyone is bluffing.

Unless somebody is willing to come here for less than has been advertised so far, or if we could move out some long-term salary, we're going bargain bin shopping... D Strome or a D Strome-like object. 

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Why? It was all lottery tickets. Barron included. They gave up nothing of significance and it took them to the ECF. I'm good with it.

It's true. And it's how you have to look at any pick beyond 20 or so in every draft. Sometimes, you find Pastrnak. More often, you find Sam Steel and Nick Merkley

47 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

(Walks back off ledge) Thanks Pete!

Gotta get this center depth figured out. Crazy we lose two of em (3 if you count Copp) when we were paper thin at that position to begin with. We really need more than just a 2c. We need a couple of guys to back fill in case of injuries.

This.   

If we weren’t willing to pay Copp, a 27 year old in his prime because of term, how can Kadri or Malkin or any other 30+ year olds wanting $6M+ and 4+ years be considered?

I still think Chytil needs to be given the shot at 2C.  Either he runs with it and we are all good, or the decision can then be made to move him to wing or trade him.

That said, we need center depth so what about someone like Evan Rodrigues or Danton Heinen?  Both could probably be had for a cheap two year deal and would slot in nicely at 3C with the ability to slide up if Chytil struggles at 2C.

I think tomorrow is going to be a hard day for a lot of UFAs in the "middle six" level. The rubber is going to hit the road on the reality that teams will not be giving both term and money to mid-six type players.

Malkin isn't getting the term he's asking for, and neither will a good deal of the players looking for it. The elite players - Gaudreau, Kadri, etc - will get their 7 years and full NMCs. The RFAs who agree to have UFA years bought up will too. The rest? Get used to shorter, higher value deals, or longer, lower value deals.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, deejaid said:

This.   

If we weren’t willing to pay Copp, a 27 year old in his prime because of term, how can Kadri or Malkin or any other 30+ year olds wanting $6M+ and 4+ years be considered?

I still think Chytil needs to be given the shot at 2C.  Either he runs with it and we are all good, or the decision can then be made to move him to wing or trade him.

That said, we need center depth so what about someone like Evan Rodrigues or Danton Heinen?  Both could probably be had for a cheap two year deal and would slot in nicely at 3C with the ability to slide up if Chytil struggles at 2C.

I like the way you're thinking. Rodriguez at 3mil would be a good idea to provide depth with some potential and give the roster some flexibility. Heinen is listed as a LW. Im not familiar with him and his ability to play C.