• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

Daigle put up 88 points through his first 130 games.

Lafreniere has put up a whopping 29 through his 1st 83.

He's going to have to be a PAG player over his next 50 to match Daigle.

Forget the AHL. Send him back to Junior. I'd do it out of pure spite.

3 hours ago, br-avery said:

Not being upset he's getting less ice time?

So we want him to throw a tantrum like Kravtsov?

Of course not, but you do expect it to light a fire under his ass, right? He's just not showing much of anything, regardless of where he plays. At this point I'm totally onboard with him playing at hartford. I'm sure he could get much more playing time there.

• Thanks 1

Based on his interviews and personality, if he's sent down I think his response would be "I understand where the coach and management team are coming from. My performance hasn't been where I want it to be. So I'll take that as motivation to get my scoring touch back in the AHL and return soon". He has to know how poorly he's performing especially given the pedigree of being a 1OA. I think we need to look past the status and now move into asset management and development mode.

• Keeps it 100 4

3 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Based on his interviews and personality, if he's sent down I think his response would be "I understand where the coach and management team are coming from. My performance hasn't been where I want it to be. So I'll take that as motivation to get my scoring touch back in the AHL and return soon". He has to know how poorly he's performing especially given the pedigree of being a 1OA. I think we need to look past the status and now move into asset management and development mode.

Only issue is, there's nothing better in Hartford to replace him on the NHL roster. That spot needs to bring some veteran presence or a legit scoring touch. Who replaces him and does "better"? 

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Only issue is, there's nothing better in Hartford to replace him on the NHL roster. That spot needs to bring some veteran presence or a legit scoring touch. Who replaces him and does "better"? 

You’re not as much looking to replace Alf long term as you are looking to just do a forced restart of him and hope he returns back with a better overall game/step/outlook/energy. Likely you’d be letting a Barron get in the lineup or someone with a bit more experience like a Brodzinski. 
    They could go another direction and roll the dice to see if they catch lightning in a bottle with a Ronning or Pajuniemi. If it doesn’t work with them no harm no foul since it wasn’t mean to be a long term thing and it gave a young guy a taste of what he needs to still work on. If the guy lights up the scoreboard then we have a good problem on our hands. You’re still bringing Alf back but now you have another lineup option or a chip to include in a trade. 

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

You’re not as much looking to replace Alf long term as you are looking to just do a forced restart of him and hope he returns back with a better overall game/step/outlook/energy. Likely you’d be letting a Barron get in the lineup or someone with a bit more experience like a Brodzinski. 
    They could go another direction and roll the dice to see if they catch lightning in a bottle with a Ronning or Pajuniemi. If it doesn’t work with them no harm no foul since it wasn’t mean to be a long term thing and it gave a young guy a taste of what he needs to still work on. If the guy lights up the scoreboard then we have a good problem on our hands. You’re still bringing Alf back but now you have another lineup option or a chip to include in a trade. 

Slot Goodrow up to the 3rd line and bring up Barron, or bring up Brodzinski/Gettinger since they don't have long-term futures with the organization and can fill in a 4th line spot.

• VINNY! 1

22 hours ago, Keirik said:

Problem with that is Gallant wants to ice what he considers the best lineup with the players he has. While sending Lafreniere down to the AHL isn't a bad idea, I just don't think the Rangers are willing to take the hit talent wise by filling his spot with players they aren't really comfortable using. Is Barron capable of playing LW in a scoring role?

If they can swing a deal for a vet who CAN, I think it would be a strong possibility.  I mean they DO need to improve the Hunt situation.  Replacing him and slotting him OUT OF THE LINEUP, would be best, but he could kinda slide down to the kid line and maybe help. God I hate Hunt. LOL. 

Edited by The Dude
  • VINNY! 1

What really stands out to me with Laf is his lack of burst.  He can pick someone's pocket on our blue line and before he hits the red line, the opposing player has already recovered and caught up to him.  I know off-ice conditioning can help that but man, he seems real slow to get up to top speed.  Too bad Chytil didn't have Laf's brain or vice-versa.  Might have one decent hockey player there.

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

What really stands out to me with Laf is his lack of burst.  He can pick someone's pocket on our blue line and before he hits the red line, the opposing player has already recovered and caught up to him.  I know off-ice conditioning can help that but man, he seems real slow to get up to top speed.  Too bad Chytil didn't have Laf's brain or vice-versa.  Might have one decent hockey player there.

It's not just burst, it's a lack of speed, period. He looks like a fourth-line plug with no discernible "thing" he's good at.