• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just need to post for book keeping.

2pts (goals) in his last 12.

Need him to produce for this team to go places. 

Read somewhere on tweeters that that line has the highest goals per something (60 maybe)

Regardless, that line has looked good. They were on for the goal against, but that was an unfortunate mistake. And not just tonight, but since coming together. I wasn't sold on that line being put together, but I think it's hard to complain about anything with the kid line 

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

8 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

How the hell do we get the #1 OA dud? Seriously.

Same way they got a 2OA "bust" — by rushing him to the NHL when he clearly belongs developing away from it. They had no choice in year one. He couldn't go to the AHL and would have learned nothing dominating junior, but there's no excuse for it now.

His play has been fine. You can't expect big numbers from anyone playing 3rd line minutes and limited PP time. 

If he was getting Panarins ice time and opportunities, and not producing, a lot of these posts would make sense.

Just now, josh said:

His play has been fine. You can't expect big numbers from anyone playing 3rd line minutes and limited PP time. 

If he was getting Panarins ice time and opportunities, and not producing, a lot of these posts would make sense.

He almost had a goal again tonight on the wrap around try,he's had some bad luck on a bunch of plays like this throughout the season, he could easily be at 10 goals 

I think he's fine and that line is getting some good chemistry.

1 minute ago, josh said:

There’s something to that but he’s not even noticeable out there. Basically each game you will notice him maybe one time and nothing more. While I get that you won’t see big moments regularly from a 3rd line but certainly a guy that drove plays leading up to the NHL can at least show more in his 13 minutes or so of ice time. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keirik said:

There’s something to that but he’s not even noticeable out there. Basically each game you will notice him maybe one time and nothing more. While I get that you won’t see big moments regularly from a 3rd line but certainly a guy that drove plays leading up to the NHL can at least show more in his 13 minutes or so of ice time. 

Noticing a 3rd liner (not for running around hitting people) twice a game is pretty decent.

And when you notice him, he's setting someone up and making plays. He's cut down on a lot of the kid errors recently, too. 

There continual progress being made. We should expect more in the numbers, but also be realistic. I also think he's in thar weird puberty phase we are seeing Kakko break out of, where the game is close, once a few bounces go his way, you see a different player. 

11 minutes ago, josh said:

Big numbers? 2 points in 12 games...that's a 4th liners pace. 

3 minutes ago, josh said:

Noticing a 3rd liner (not for running around hitting people) twice a game is pretty decent.

And when you notice him, he's setting someone up and making plays. He's cut down on a lot of the kid errors recently, too. 

There continual progress being made. We should expect more in the numbers, but also be realistic. I also think he's in thar weird puberty phase we are seeing Kakko break out of, where the game is close, once a few bounces go his way, you see a different player. 

He's not a third liner. He happens to play on the third line behind 2 all stars. Gauthier is a third liner. They are not the same. 

• TroCheckmark 1

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just need to post for book keeping.

2pts (goals) in his last 12.

Need him to produce for this team to go places. 

On the flip side, Kakko had one of his best games of the season and now has 8 points in his last 7 games.  I know this doesn’t mean anything as far as Laf is concerned but maybe there’s still hope he goes on a run.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's not a third liner. He happens to play on the third line behind 2 all stars. Gauthier is a third liner. They are not the same. 

My first comment in the thread was third line minutes and opportunities. 

You know what I mean 

4 minutes ago, josh said:

My first comment in the thread was third line minutes and opportunities. 

You know what I mean 

I do, but he should be driving that line and being the most visible player on it, not the least. 

Two players who got rode all summer in Chytil and Gauthier are far more engaged and noticeable. 

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

I will be worried next year but agree he’s been underwhelming this year. So was kakko tho and really the kid is turning into a beast 

Beast is a bit of a stretch. He’s improving but he’s not taking over games or anything like that.

17 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's too late to do anything about it. Is what it is at this point.

I know, right? Like what can you do at this point? 'Pack hit with the 'Rona.

Sit him? Let him watch from the press box? Kid's never been a health bomb yet...Maybe he needs that?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I know, right? Like what can you do at this point? 'Pack hit with the 'Rona.

Sit him? Let him watch from the press box? Kid's never been a health bomb yet...Maybe he needs that?

I don't think it's a lack of effort on his part.  I think he's trying his hardest which is the real scary part.  There was one play in the 3rd where he entered the zone along the boards with only one defender in front of him and he just did a soft dump in.  I was thinking "how many 1OA's wouldn't try to beat that guy?"  I'm not sure a healthy scratch would be effective since the effort is there.  Maybe we just need to hope he turns into a Ryan Callahan type at this point...

I think the problem is that hes too slow and not good enough of a skater to do that. I was really hoping he would have worked on his skating and conditioning more during the off season and by his account he did... I am not seeing it.

Luckily he is 20 so hopefully he works on that.

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I don't think it's a lack of effort on his part.  I think he's trying his hardest which is the real scary part.  There was one play in the 3rd where he entered the zone along the boards with only one defender in front of him and he just did a soft dump in.  I was thinking "how many 1OA's wouldn't try to beat that guy?"  I'm not sure a healthy scratch would be effective since the effort is there.  Maybe we just need to hope he turns into a Ryan Callahan type at this point...

That is a rough hope for a 1OA. He is less effective than undrafted Kevin Rooney. I think he needs to play with Mika and let the two of them figure out how to be effective.