• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

56 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Well, at least LaF demonstrated tonight that his putting game is still sound.

I see no reason why Nemeth should not be seated in favor of Hajek when he gets back.  Was Hajek worse last year than Nemeth is this year?  I'd say not.

In theory no, but considering he plays with Lundkvist I’d say yes that Hajek would be a worse pairing with Nils. It’s clear that Bils isn’t trusted out there and for good reason in many times on that pairing, Nemeth is the rock and Nils is the gamble. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Well, at least LaF demonstrated tonight that his putting game is still sound.

I see no reason why Nemeth should not be seated in favor of Hajek when he gets back.  Was Hajek worse last year than Nemeth is this year?  I'd say not.

Quite a bit, actually. Nemeth isn't doing well, but Hajek may have been the worst defender in the NHL last season. 

Going from abysmal to just bad is still an upgrade. 

19 hours ago, Dunny said:

Is he in the top 3 of a re-draft? It's pretty early for such an exercise, but I'd have him #4 just head of Jarvis. 

Pronman did a redraft a couple of weeks ago and had Lafreniere 1st ahead of Stutzle, Drysdale, Byfield and Raymond iirc. Albeit on borrowed time and based on pedigree, not actual production. Make of that what you will.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean... Is that an actual fact? 

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2021/7/9/22530372/2021-season-review-libor-hajek-nhl-new-york-rangers-defenseman-prospect-tampa-bay-lightning-trade

On mobile so can't link it, but check that GAR chart - yeah, he really might have been the worst defender in the NHL. That's a less than 1st percentile defensive performance. There's really not much room below that.

44 minutes ago, G1000 said:

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2021/7/9/22530372/2021-season-review-libor-hajek-nhl-new-york-rangers-defenseman-prospect-tampa-bay-lightning-trade

On mobile so can't link it, but check that GAR chart - yeah, he really might have been the worst defender in the NHL. That's a less than 1st percentile defensive performance. There's really not much room below that.

Meh. He played while the team was in shambles. Players turn things around. Wasn't Kakko literally one of the worst forwards in the game by the metrics two years ago? Now he's a selke consideration (lol). 

I can't even remember who he was paired with last year. 

If he's that bad, why keep him? 

I dunno. Miller and Nemeth are really horrible looking out there. A game or 2 for a guy that made Kravstov expendable, should at the very least be tried. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meh. He played while the team was in shambles. Players turn things around. Wasn't Kakko literally one of the worst forwards in the game by the metrics two years ago? Now he's a selke consideration (lol). 

I can't even remember who he was paired with last year. 

If he's that bad, why keep him? 

I dunno. Miller and Nemeth are really horrible looking out there. A game or 2 for a guy that made Kravstov expendable, should at the very least be tried. 

Look, I have no idea why they kept Hajek at all, but that's not a good reason to play him. As bad as Nemeth has looked, Hajek was and probably is far worse. 

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

Look, I have no idea why they kept Hajek at all, but that's not a good reason to play him. As bad as Nemeth has looked, Hajek was and probably is far worse. 

I disagree.  It's plenty reason.  Fucking Tinordi has gotten in a few games. The main piece of a major trade, should be given every opportunity to prove themselves. That most DEFINITELY has not happened since he got here. 

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I disagree.  It's plenty reason.  Fucking Tinordi has gotten in a few games. The main piece of a major trade, should be given every opportunity to prove themselves. That most DEFINITELY has not happened since he got here. 

Because Tinordi is - somehow - not worse than Hajek. What I said earlier wasn't hyperbole - there isn't much room to be worse than Hajek and in the NHL. Just because he was part of a big trade that looks to have completely busted is not a reason to play him - doubly so when you're winning games with the lineup you've got.

24 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Because Tinordi is - somehow - not worse than Hajek. What I said earlier wasn't hyperbole - there isn't much room to be worse than Hajek and in the NHL. Just because he was part of a big trade that looks to have completely busted is not a reason to play him - doubly so when you're winning games with the lineup you've got.

Yuck.  The lineup has changed day to day. It's not the lineup that's winning. It's dumb luck. They STINK. I'm sure the metrics probably say the same. 

Tinordi IS worse, he's just a guy that Gallant likes because he had him on a past team of his. Every single eye test says Tinordi sucks. As does Nemeth.As has Miller. Heck Lundkvist looks very ordinary to less thanordinary. They need to sit. One roster player has yet to suit up. It's ridiculous.

If they aren't going to use Hajek,  they may as well waive him. I think we can both agree on that. No? 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Yuck.  The lineup has changed day to day. It's not the lineup that's winning. It's dumb luck. They STINK. I'm sure the metrics probably say the same. 

Tinordi IS worse, he's just a guy that Gallant likes because he had him on a past team of his. Every single eye test says Tinordi sucks. As does Nemeth.As has Miller. Heck Lundkvist looks very ordinary to less thanordinary. They need to sit. One roster player has yet to suit up. It's ridiculous.

If they aren't going to use Hajek,  they may as well waive him. I think we can both agree on that. No? 

Not sure at all what you’ve seen with hajek that makes you think he’s an nhl player. From what he’s shown and what Nemeth has shown so far, Hajek shouldn’t even carry Nemeth’s bag. And Nemeth is j.a.g.

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

Not sure at all what you’ve seen with hajek that makes you think he’s an nhl player. From what he’s shown and what Nemeth has shown so far, Hajek shouldn’t even carry Nemeth’s bag. And Nemeth is j.a.g.

Wwll the fact that he's STILL in the NHL and the Rangers won't let him go, in fear that he will get claimed, makes me think he's an NHK player. Along with his skating ability.  His ability to get shots off and on net through traffic. How he can pick his spots and take the body.  

I honestly think the guy is a decent 2 way defender, whom the previous coach decided that the player needs to be dialed back and concentrate on being a stay at home type. Like most prospects in the organization,  the player disagrees.  I assuthos because of a comment Quinn made last year or prior about (paraphrasing) how the player and the coaching staff think differently about what kind of player he is.... 

Zero harm in giving the guy another chance. Not changing up a "winning " lineup is no excuse. Either dump him or use him. 

2 hours ago, Winter said:

Raymond

Everyone else

Mercer, Lundell, Chinahkov all making impacts also. Mercer looks 50x better than Laf. 

I wanted Rangers to draft Lundell so bad, but then they won the lottery and I forgot that thought right away.

Right now Lafreniere is a doubt to be a top 10 player of his draft class, and that's sad and so typical Rangers at the same time.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Wwll the fact that he's STILL in the NHL and the Rangers won't let him go, in fear that he will get claimed, makes me think he's an NHK player. Along with his skating ability.  His ability to get shots off and on net through traffic. How he can pick his spots and take the body.  

I honestly think the guy is a decent 2 way defender, whom the previous coach decided that the player needs to be dialed back and concentrate on being a stay at home type. Like most prospects in the organization,  the player disagrees.  I assuthos because of a comment Quinn made last year or prior about (paraphrasing) how the player and the coaching staff think differently about what kind of player he is.... 

Zero harm in giving the guy another chance. Not changing up a "winning " lineup is no excuse. Either dump him or use him. 

Let's start here - he's currently on the Wolfpack. He's not in the NHL.

Let's also make another inference - if he were truly good enough at hockey to play over Tinordi or Nemeth, don't you think he would have by now? Further, if he were, and he's basically excess here, why hasn't he been traded? Why has no other team - including teams like the Blackhawks and Senators who have literally zero defensive depth - not bothered to attempt to acquire him? 

Looks like a duck. Quacks like a duck. It's a duck.

• Applause 2

6 hours ago, G1000 said:

Let's start here - he's currently on the Wolfpack. He's not in the NHL.

Let's also make another inference - if he were truly good enough at hockey to play over Tinordi or Nemeth, don't you think he would have by now? Further, if he were, and he's basically excess here, why hasn't he been traded? Why has no other team - including teams like the Blackhawks and Senators who have literally zero defensive depth - not bothered to attempt to acquire him? 

Looks like a duck. Quacks like a duck. It's a duck.

Oh. I didn't realize he passed through waivers.. Oooo that's right. He didn't get sent down.  He's on a conditioning assignment. 

Truly good enough at hockey???? Fucking seriously? He's on an NHL roster. Has been for how many years. Can you stop acting like he's a roller hockey player that has zero talent? 

You seem to skip over my point that Gallant has used Tinordi only due to the fact that he's familiar with him in having coached him in the past. He has literally toiled in the AHL for the last 3 or more years. That's the only logical reason for him to even be on the roster. Gallant wants him here much like Reaves. Because of familiarity.  I won't be shocked that the next trade the Rangers make isn't for yet another of Gallant’s foot soldiers/former players. 

As for Nemeth, I'm obviously kinda overreacting on how bad he is. Fact is,he is signed to a big contract with term and a no trade clause forsome stupid reason (bad GM). Of fucking course he's going to play. But it doesn't erase the fact that he's been bad and should sit. Carrying an 8th Dman that isn't going to play is just dumb. Not when the wing depth is in question. Nor when the coach would rather play a dinosaur over what the team considers enough of an asset to not just waive... If he's an asset. Use him. If not. Cut bait. Do the guy a favor. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Oh. I didn't realize he passed through waivers.. Oooo that's right. He didn't get sent down.  He's on a conditioning assignment. 

Truly good enough at hockey???? Fucking seriously? He's on an NHL roster. Has been for how many years. Can you stop acting like he's a roller hockey player that has zero talent? 

You seem to skip over my point that Gallant has used Tinordi only due to the fact that he's familiar with him in having coached him in the past. He has literally toiled in the AHL for the last 3 or more years. That's the only logical reason for him to even be on the roster. Gallant wants him here much like Reaves. Because of familiarity.  I won't be shocked that the next trade the Rangers make isn't for yet another of Gallant’s foot soldiers/former players. 

As for Nemeth, I'm obviously kinda overreacting on how bad he is. Fact is,he is signed to a big contract with term and a no trade clause forsome stupid reason (bad GM). Of fucking course he's going to play. But it doesn't erase the fact that he's been bad and should sit. Carrying an 8th Dman that isn't going to play is just dumb. Not when the wing depth is in question. Nor when the coach would rather play a dinosaur over what the team considers enough of an asset to not just waive... If he's an asset. Use him. If not. Cut bait. Do the guy a favor. 

When we're ready to engage in facts and not fantasies around both what's actually being said and what Hajek purported to be versus what he is, we can revisit this conversation. Doubly so because this has absolutely nothing to do with Lafreniere, who this thread is actually about.