• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

I'm afraid it doesn't really work like that when the 82 games are spread across two seasons, and there doesn't look like there's any growth at all between season 1 and season 2.

Again, the eyeball test tells a very different story. Even if you looked at the replays of a lot of his goals, they're gimmies. Yeah great that he's going to the net, but it's not like he's picking a corner... The one the Bruins (?) gave him off his face in OT...Jesus.

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Yeah it’s kind of the chicken and the egg thing. If he deserved top 6 minutes he’d see it. All that stuff. 

He's third on the team in goals with his limited minutes. What message does send him down send? 

He has little offensive support on his line. That's well established with both Chytil and Gauthier,  and Blais, Howden, Diguiseppe, etc. And attempts to move him to RW were more detrimental than beneficial.

It would take little adjustment to get him 2 more minutes a game and it would be great for him and the team, especially long term. Split up the pp units. Two powerful units. Guys still get their touches, but the kids get more. Heck, even Zibanejad gets more touches. This stops the 2 minute PP unit followed by jumled lines. Because they stay out there the entire time, if there is another penalty in that period, they might role through the regular lines maybe twice. The 3rd line always suffers. And then we see gassed panarin put there at the end of games trying to defend. No reason that unit needs to blow their load now. Long season. Save their legs.

Split the PP. You have 2 top pp units, 1 min each. Saves energy for the top guy, gets kids offensive looks. This allows lines to flow. You can even come back with line 1 or 2. Naturally, this will spread out ice time among the top 3 lines. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

** posted at the same time Josh, I just respectfully disagree. 

All jokes aside, he's done nothing but play himself out of top six mins and he's certainly not deserving of top pp time. 

I would love for him to succeed and I'm not saying he's a bust but a glimpse of being a difference maker would be a nice surprise every now and then. Most nights he's just there regardless of who he's playing with. 

Edited by jsrangers

13 minutes ago, josh said:

He's third on the team in goals with his limited minutes. What message does send him down send? 

He has little offensive support on his line. That's well established with both Chytil and Gauthier,  and Blais, Howden, Diguiseppe, etc. And attempts to move him to RW were more detrimental than beneficial.

It would take little adjustment to get him 2 more minutes a game and it would be great for him and the team, especially long term. Split up the pp units. Two powerful units. Guys still get their touches, but the kids get more. Heck, even Zibanejad gets more touches. This stops the 2 minute PP unit followed by jumled lines. Because they stay out there the entire time, if there is another penalty in that period, they might role through the regular lines maybe twice. The 3rd line always suffers. And then we see gassed panarin put there at the end of games trying to defend. No reason that unit needs to blow their load now. Long season. Save their legs.

Split the PP. You have 2 top pp units, 1 min each. Saves energy for the top guy, gets kids offensive looks. This allows lines to flow. You can even come back with line 1 or 2. Naturally, this will spread out ice time among the top 3 lines. 

It’s not just about a message. I’m not worried about what this says to the player. He’s likely been told he’s the best thing since sliced bread his whole life. A little humbling might help. It’s about him gaining some confidence and playing more. Invites Getting him more reps than 3rd line minutes. Canadiens weren’t afraid to do it with Caufield. We did it years in the past with Kreider. I’m sure if it happened CK would be making a call to Alf for encouragement.

Why should the entire team change around just so he gets more reps? He’s just not simply good enough right now to deserve that. We are one of the top teams in the league. Sure you can make a case to say if it ain’t broke (team’ then don’t fix it. However, I personally think a few weeks in the A might be the difference between him remembering how to use his talents and him forever being buried here. 

It’s probably the only time I’d think it is a good idea to send him down. We are a top team. It has very little to do with ALF really. If we stunk then play the hell out of him. But we can afford for him to take a slight pause with him and not have it really ruin the team right now. 

Just now, josh said:

He's been successful doing something his entire life.

He's put in a different spot and there's different results. 

"I dont care about him. Humble him. Send him down. It will build his confidence"

What?

I’m not sure how this is confusing. Kind of feels like you’re being difficult to be difficult He will be upset at first I’m sure.  But long term picture,  sending him down lets him play more, especially against talent he is superior to and find his game again against lesser talent. That reinforces a lot more for future good hockey than it does wallowing and being a non factor every game. As I said, if the effort was there I’d have no problem with him. 

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m not sure how this is confusing. Kind of feels like you’re being difficult to be difficult He will be upset at first I’m sure.  But long term picture,  sending him down lets him play more, especially against talent he is superior to and find his game again against lesser talent. That reinforces a lot more for future good hockey than it does wallowing and being a non factor every game. As I said, if the effort was there I’d have no problem with him. 

He's already done a lot of dominating inferior talent.  He's playing a regular shift with two pretty good young players right now (he stands out as the least effective of the players on that unit).  He should be able to develop where he is.  I don't see how giving him undeserved time with the first line or PP unit is going to magically spur development.

Saw this posted elsewhere thought it was interesting

Even strength points through first 82 games:
29 - Stamkos
29 - Tavares
29 - Lafreniere

GWGs through first 82 games:
7 - Lafreniere
6 - Crosby/Hall/Ovechkin/MacKinnon
4 - Ekblad/Kane
3 - Hischier/Erik Johnson
2 - Tavares/Yakupov
1 - Stamkos

Just now, Sod16 said:

He's already done a lot of dominating inferior talent.  He's playing a regular shift with two pretty good young players right now (he stands out as the least effective of the players on that unit).  He should be able to develop where he is.  I don't see how giving him undeserved time with the first line or PP unit is going to magically spur development.

What development have you noticed in him from last year to this year? 

1 minute ago, br-avery said:

Saw this posted elsewhere thought it was interesting

Even strength points through first 82 games:
29 - Stamkos
29 - Tavares
29 - Lafreniere

GWGs through first 82 games:
7 - Lafreniere
6 - Crosby/Hall/Ovechkin/MacKinnon
4 - Ekblad/Kane
3 - Hischier/Erik Johnson
2 - Tavares/Yakupov
1 - Stamkos

Text is white. Cant read it.

17 minutes ago, Keirik said:

What development have you noticed in him from last year to this year? 

None, really.  There was development during the season last year but then something of a stall.  I don't see a change in where he's playing -- whether a step up to the first line or a step down to the AHL -- as something that will enhance his development over where he is now.  We'll just have to see what happens. 

I'm not concerned with the stats and how many goals Tavares or Stamkos had scored at what point.  I'm concerned with the eye test.  As many have pointed out, the flashes you would hope to see, even if he's not having an overall impact, are missing.  Jack Hughes has showed a lot of weaknesses and need for development, but the flashes have always been there.