• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Time for a Lafreniere Reset

Pete

44 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m not sure how this is confusing. Kind of feels like you’re being difficult to be difficult He will be upset at first I’m sure.  But long term picture,  sending him down lets him play more, especially against talent he is superior to and find his game again against lesser talent. That reinforces a lot more for future good hockey than it does wallowing and being a non factor every game. As I said, if the effort was there I’d have no problem with him. 

He doesn't need to play more in lesser leagues. 

It's there. You won't see it as much with the ice time/situations he gets. 

Edited by josh

36 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

He's already done a lot of dominating inferior talent.  He's playing a regular shift with two pretty good young players right now (he stands out as the least effective of the players on that unit).  He should be able to develop where he is.  I don't see how giving him undeserved time with the first line or PP unit is going to magically spur development.

the key is to get him confidence. 

We know he can do more. Should do more. There's a disagreement in how muc he can do, but agreement he can do more, and more confidence will help. The discussion is how to get him that confidence. .

2 minutes ago, josh said:

the key is to get him confidence. 

We know he can do more. Should do more. There's a disagreement in how muc he can do, but agreement he can do more, and more confidence will help. The discussion is how to get him that confidence. .

Compare him to Kakko

kakko is a totally different player now

not to mention Laf is actually scoring more at the same time

11 minutes ago, josh said:

He doesn't need to play more in lesser leagues. 

It's there. You won't see it as much with the ice time/situations he gets. 

Agree to disagree. I think he could use more ice time and just reset himself a bit. It’s literally one of the reasons organizations have a minor league system. He’s not going to see important minutes until he start improving his play to deserve it. 

10 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Agree to disagree. I think he could use more ice time and just reset himself a bit. It’s literally one of the reasons organizations have a minor league system. He’s not going to see important minutes until he start improving his play to deserve it. 

He's 3rd on the team in goals. How is that not more deserving in a small increase in PP time, especially when the top unit routinely stays out there for 2 minutes.

1 minute ago, josh said:

He's 3rd on the team in goals. How is that not more deserving in a small increase in PP time, especially when the top unit routinely stays out there for 2 minutes.

The top unit includes a Norris winner, a guy 7th in the league in scoring, the guy 2nd in the league in pp goals, et al and is the 7th best pp in the league. 

Should Gallant not play to the teams strength and instead focus on trying to get Alf’s game going? If we are going to do that, we should also I guess make sure we continually play Geo more in a 60/40 split when Shesty is back because well, his game is better with more reps. 

it’s just not realistic at the NHL level unless the team is a basement dweller, which we are far from this year. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

He's been successful doing something his entire life.

He's put in a different spot and there's different results. 

"I dont care about him. Humble him. Send him down. It will build his confidence"

What?

You just described almost every first overall pick to ever come into the league.

Do you think players like Crosby or McDavid stepped into exactly the same role they left in junior?

Come on, you're better than that. You really are arguing just to argue.. he's crap. 

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

The top unit includes a Norris winner, a guy 7th in the league in scoring, the guy 2nd in the league in pp goals, et al and is the 7th best pp in the league. 

Should Gallant not play to the teams strength and instead focus on trying to get Alf’s game going? If we are going to do that, we should also I guess make sure we continually play Geo more in a 60/40 split when Shesty is back because well, his game is better with more reps. 

it’s just not realistic at the NHL level unless the team is a basement dweller, which we are far from this year. 

Is not going to make them less effective on the PP. 

it removes 2 minute shifts, which aren’t good for anyone. They should be looking to find ways to keep the top guys fresh all year 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

You just described almost every first overall pick to ever come into the league.

Do you think players like Crosby or McDavid stepped into exactly the same role they left in junior?

Come on, you're better than that. You really are arguing just to argue.. he's crap. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

No, lol.. there's nothing there

9 hours ago, Pete said:

When you say things like this it's hard to take it seriously. He's the least visible player on the ice every single game

Oh Peter

Crosby played 58% of his teams pps his first season on a unit with recchi, Gonchar and Mario. He was 31st in PP time per game in the entire league. He averaged over 20 minutes a game.

McDavid led his team in PP time and played just under 19 minutes a game. 

Edited by josh

18 minutes ago, josh said:

Oh Peter

Crosby played 58% of his teams pps his first season on a unit with recchi, Gonchar and Mario. He was 31st in PP time per game in the entire league. He averaged over 20 minutes a game.

McDavid led his team in PP time and played just under 19 minutes a game. 

Yes, you're right. They stepped into playing against the best defense on the other team every single night.

They weren't hidden on the third line with 65% Ozone starts.

Deployment is not the reason he's bad. He, and he alone, is the reason he's bad.

It's not always everybody else's fault.

Not sure how you can just keep trotting him out there and expect different results... it's the definition of insanity.

Edited by Pete

monty python GIF

"I got better"...

Guys... He's kinda been a little better lately. Not game changer, but I do see him a bit more involved/engaged. 

PP units definitely need even amounts of time. PP2 hass been doing well and I think IS getting more looks in recent games. 

I'm a little more concerned with Kakko at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Also Crosby spent his youth as a center and broke into the league playing left wing for the first 26 games until Mario retired...

No it was only a few games. Crosby centered palffy and recchi early in the season.

4 hours ago, josh said:

Is not going to make them less effective on the PP. 

it removes 2 minute shifts, which aren’t good for anyone. They should be looking to find ways to keep the top guys fresh all year 

Pp minutes are among the easiest type of minutes in the game. It’s not emptying the tank for anyone but the team shorthanded.  That narrative just doesn’t really hold up well. 

38 minutes ago, josh said:

No it was only a few games. Crosby centered palffy and recchi early in the season.

I'm not buying that you remember that far back. I'll trust what Google is saying.

Regardless, that's not the point. Maybe Laf develops, and maybe he doesn't...but right now he's not good, doesn't look like he belongs in the NHL, and trotting him out there like there's nothing wrong is not helping him IMO.

5 hours ago, Keirik said:

Pp minutes are among the easiest type of minutes in the game. It’s not emptying the tank for anyone but the team shorthanded.  That narrative just doesn’t really hold up well. 

Meh.. If you're down a goal or 2, I would think it's some pretty pressing minutes. It's a different situation when you NEED the goal. 

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meh.. If you're down a goal or 2, I would think it's some pretty pressing minutes. It's a different situation when you NEED the goal. 

You’re kind of taking that pi5 of context. The topic was about keeping guys fresh. If we are down a goal or two, all bets are off anyway. You aren’t going to roll out pp2 more while losing on a team with one of the best pp1 units in the league. 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

You’re kind of taking that pi5 of context. The topic was about keeping guys fresh. If we are down a goal or two, all bets are off anyway. You aren’t going to roll out pp2 more while losing on a team with one of the best pp1 units in the league. 

You are if PP1 isn't doing shit all night. 

Icetime is Icetime.  I think Josh has a good point in thinking of ways to keep everyone fresh and not over doing it. Theres seriously no need for the top unit to be out there almost the entire 2:00. Not only is it taxing on the players on unit 1, it's giving less opportunity for others who could use a jumpstart or confidence boost. 

Just spread ot out a little. Same with the D pairings. Why carry 8 D men and not have a constant rotation? Hajek is finally getting a game tonight. Game #27..  

Don't get into goalies. That's a different world.