• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere and the Rangers Reach a Critical Point

Pete

5 hours ago, Pete said:

And this is the crux. I could forgive the production (or lack of) if he was doing something dynamic every game. He's not even noticeable shift to shift.

Everytime I ask this, all I get is the goal vs Detroit with Larkin back and the atrocious goaltending. 

It's sad, really. 

Def agree with this. However....Krav obviously hasn't gotten the points BUT you can see some of the tools there to be creative and dynamic. We just have to hope he continues to develop and we may see him come in next year like Kakko did this year. So I suppose, since one didn't pan out we can cross our fingers and toes that the long shot of Kravtsov will produce like we expected Laf too.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Def agree with this. However....Krav obviously hasn't gotten the points BUT you can see some of the tools there to be creative and dynamic. We just have to hope he continues to develop and we may see him come in next year like Kakko did this year. So I suppose, since one didn't pan out we can cross our fingers and toes that the long shot of Kravtsov will produce like we expected Laf too.

Agreed. There are some players who come in and ooze offense. Some come in and you just know... They don't have it.

Had it...Chytil, Kravtsov

Didn't... Anderson, Lafreniere

Grew into it... Kakko. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't have any more patience with this kid not because I think he's always going to be terrible, but more because I just don't think he has the mental makeup to be an elite player.

You can tell he just doesn't take shit seriously, and GG is just not the coach for him because he's not actually going to communicate what's expected, and I don't even think LaFreniere knows why he was benched and scratched. I think he's just chalking it up to the coach being an asshole and in his head he thinks he's playing fine. 

This picture really does say a thousand words. 

spacer.png

What's the significance of what he's doing here?

30 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

What's the significance of what he's doing here?

"What if I could grow a mustache?" Chin strap game... 

This is what happens on my kids U8 Mites team when the score is 13-2.... Except he's in a tie NHL game with a rival halfway through the third period where his team's about to go on the power play. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

"What if I could grow a mustache?" Chin strap game... 

This is what happens on my kids U8 Mites team when the score is 13-2.... Except he's in a tie NHL game with a rival halfway through the third period where his team's about to go on the power play. 

Lol

What a fucking douche, when I was playing around with the pic to make it my profile pic I was convinced it had to be photoshopped because there's no way somebody in his position at this point would be so disconnected from the reality of his own situation.  I apologize to the forum for being so wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

What a fucking douche, when I was playing around with the pic to make it my profile pic I was convinced it had to be photoshopped because there's no way somebody in his position at this point would be so disconnected from the reality of his own situation.  I apologize to the forum for being so wrong.

you should thank they guy...thats the best profile pic on this forum by a mile

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

how does a laf for byfield trade look at this point?

Byfield has 5 goals in 60 NHL games and LA would still say no lol.

QB has not looked great so far, but he's almost a year younger than Laf and everyone knew when he got drafted that he would need some time before he's NHL ready. 6'5 215lbs centers usually takes a bit more time to round out their game and get going so I can't see LA giving up on him before he's 21. I guess they're hoping for a Tage Thompson 2.0.

37 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Honestly....I'd flip him for Wright if Seattle takes the deal. I'd want to keep that Othmann-Wright connection going, and I think Wright at the worst case projects to something we really need anyway.

Why would Seattle? 

38 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Honestly....I'd flip him for Wright if Seattle takes the deal. I'd want to keep that Othmann-Wright connection going, and I think Wright at the worst case projects to something we really need anyway.

I think that's a no brainer. I'd even give em a first for this year too.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Why would Seattle? 

They wouldn't. I'm not sure Lafreniere could beat out Burakovsky or Schwartz for time either. It's the sort of deal you look for with him, though, maybe add a bit. 

The hard part is that there's not really an obvious candidate in the "recently drafted and not quite cutting it where they're at" pool to make a direct swap. Hayton and Turcotte are, I think, a clear step below at this point and very high risk, Byfield is clearly still developing, the rest are largely a crapshoot or likely out of reach for just Lafreniere.

As much as I think you guys are right, and trust me...you are.  Laff's been underwhelming to the eye test to say the least!  I just think he's a kid we're going to have to be patient with.  He's certainly not going to cost us a lot to resign, and I sverely doubt any team will offer sheet him at this point.

I don't think he'll be a burden to keep on the team, and I just know somehow if we trade him, it's going to bite us in the ass down the road. 

Besides, if we trade him, look at all the humor we'll be missing out on!! 

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

So are we on board with sending him off for a rental and B prospects  or what? 

Kane with retention  (so the Rangers can make more moves) and 2 prospects (preferably a center or RW and maybe a goalie, if not a large bodied D man.). 

IMO  It's really time to let go. If he becomes something, what ever. It's not going to happen here. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Kane with retention  (so the Rangers can make more moves) and 2 prospects (preferably a center or RW and maybe a goalie, if not a large bodied D man.). 

IMO  It's really time to let go. If he becomes something, what ever. It's not going to happen here. 

Why is Chicago sending prospects? It’s gotta be more than renting an old fart who’s been a worse player this season. 

Horvat sign & trade, but we can’t afford to take on that cap. But I think that’s the type of deal you do. Debrincat. Meier plus. But salary cap still an issue. But you need an impact player that’s here for longer than a month and a half

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, josh said:

Why is Chicago sending prospects? It’s gotta be more than renting an old fart who’s been a worse player this season. 

Horvat sign & trade, but we can’t afford to take on that cap. But I think that’s the type of deal you do. Debrincat. Meier plus. But salary cap still an issue. But you need an impact player that’s here for longer than a month and a half

I don't like these options because I don't think they would be reasonable enough cap hits, but I like the idea. It needs to be a top 6 player who is effective and they can have for a reasonable enough cap hit. I think a guy like Troy Terry might be a fit. I'd imagine he's in line for a Buchnevich-like contract. I also think the Ducks would entertain trading him rather than signing him long term.

Edited by rmc51

12 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I don't like these options because I don't think they would be reasonable enough cap hits, but I like the idea. It needs to be a top 6 player who is effective and they can have for a reasonable enough cap hit. I think a guy like Troy Terry might be a fit. I'd imagine he's in line for a Buchnevich-like contract. I also think the Ducks would entertain trading him rather than signing him long term.

a guy that finally produced at 23 when given PP time and top 6 opportunities? Are you fucking with me?? 

8 hours ago, josh said:

NO PROSPECTS!

Why would we try this again??

I think you mean no total rebuild. Or retool or what the fuck ever this was. 

in the salary cap system you better have a conveyer belt of prospects coming in to replace expensive contracts. 

just got to hope drury’s team is better at drafting than Gortons team was. 

15 minutes ago, josh said:

a guy that finally produced at 23 when given PP time and top 6 opportunities? Are you fucking with me?? 

Terry broke into the NHL on Getzlafs wing and went back to the AHL before COVID stopped the season...where he :gasps: developed. 

Edited by Pete

36 minutes ago, josh said:

Why is Chicago sending prospects?

But you need an impact player that’s here for longer than a month and a half

Why does the return have to be here for longer than a month and a half? 

Look what you're trading. I say rental and prospects and you question why Chicago is sending prospects. Don't you want more than just a rental? 

The return isn't likely to be any player in their prime,  locked into a good contract , or so I've been told. I have brought up Boeser and some say it's not enough, while others say there's no way the Rangers could pry him away for just Lafrenière.  

Every situation brought up is either not enough of a return or called unrealistic due to how bad Lafrenière has been. 

I'm trying to find a common ground. 

Justb wondering... why are you looking for a center constantly, when the hole to fill is at RW? 

Are you looking to dump Chytil and Lafrenière in a deal? Because that changes quite a bit. Not sure what gaining another high priced center accomplishes. Still doesn't fill the gaping hole at RW. Chytil at 3 C is working and can be built upon. You need the low cost contract here moving forward.  

I keep bringing up Kane,  because all experts have been saying he's coming here. It's not going to be for Tim Gettinger and Zac Jones. I think the Rangers can get Kane + in exchange for Lafreniere and I think that's the best they can do for both now and moving forward.  

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Absolutely not. Why are we running him out of town? Because he hasn’t walked on water yet? He’s in line for a bridge. And he’s 21. Even if his poor season continues, he actually increases his value with a 2 year bridge deal. Similar to Kakkos. At worst, he gets offer sheeted which nets us draft pick(s). If it’s anything under the Threshold to generate a 1st and it’s still a bridge, just a bit steeper but still affordable.