• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere and the Rangers Reach a Critical Point

Pete

36 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Just throwing this out there but ...Kravtsov has been more noticeable than Laf in the recent handful of games. He carries the puck and has been creating plays. Laf has looked.....lost.

confidence

• Believe 2

On 1/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, siddious said:

Problem is we can afford anyone that would actually help this team. 

im not against trading Laf I just don’t know what a good deal would even begin to look like considering his diminished value and the rangers cap situation. 

I don't think there is diminished value. He's a 21 years old former #1 overall pick, and has been great everywhere he's played. The fact that it hasn't happened yet at the NHL level means nothing to all those teams who wanted him. Will there be teams that want to steal him? Of course. But if Drury's smart, he won't let that happen. Lafreniere has to much talent to not come around eventually. And It's to early to trade him away for nothing, only to watch him flourish with someone else. They need to sit back, and help him gain the confidence to look like the #1 pick they drafted less than 3 years ago. He'll come around, and probably much sooner than we think.

• Believe 1

Just now, jamsim1967 said:

I don't think there is diminished value. He's a 21 years old former #1 overall pick, and has been great everywhere he's played. The fact that it hasn't happened yet at the NHL level means nothing to all those teams who wanted him. Will there be teams that want to steal him? Of course. But if Drury's smart, he won't let that happen. Lafreniere has to much talent to not come around eventually. And It's to early to trade him away for nothing, only to watch him flourish with someone else. They need to sit back, and help him gain the confidence to look like the #1 pick they drafted less than 3 years ago. He'll come around, and probably much sooner than we think.

This guy was the clear, uncontested #1 overall pick since he was about 13 years old. He would have went first the 3 years before him, if they let him enter the draft. That draft spot is THE most valuable asset since the McDavid pick.

What do you mean there's not diminished return?

The rest I agree with.

• Bullseye 1

On 1/3/2023 at 1:32 PM, Ozzy said:

We draft that kid, and I know something bad's gonna happen:

-Trip over the cord on introduction night

-Throw his medal into the stands

-Play like shit and eats donuts his first 3 seasons

-I'm not even going the Cherapanov route

...you get the idea!!!   LOL

Anywhere else he goes and he's McJesus Jr.

Exactly. He will magically fall into someone's lap, where the coach believes it is his job to develop players. And just like that, he's the 2nd coming.

And his best games will be against the Rangers.

He's a 21 year old who needs a little more time. He'll get it ...

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

20 minutes ago, josh said:

This guy was the clear, uncontested #1 overall pick since he was about 13 years old. He would have went first the 3 years before him, if they let him enter the draft. That draft spot is THE most valuable asset since the McDavid pick.

What do you mean there's not diminished return?

The rest I agree with.

Sorry, I should have said there is no diminished return yet. It's to early to give up on a 21 year old #1 overall pick. You have to believe the Rangers did their homework, and know who they drafted. They picked the player that everyone else wanted. Now it's up to them to figure out the problem and bring his talent to the forefront. If they trade him just to get rid of him, he will turn into the player they thought they were getting, and his best games will be against the Rangers. I don't think anybody wants to see that.

He needs work, and he needs to be successful. And when he does something well, they need to let him know on the bench. That can go a long way in boosting somebody's confidence, and I think (I hope) he needs a little bit more of that. I know what I'm talking about. I took psych 101, got a B. 🙂

2 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

What is this talent you see?

I would say the only thing he has accomplished since entering the league is diminished his value. I'm not sure how you could say otherwise.  They would get a small fraction now for him compared to if they were to have traded him prior to the draft.  His value decreases by the weak. 

yeah it's weak because it's fitting.

Around draft time, Rangers fans were saying no to Brady Tkachuk for Lafreniere. Pretty sure Lafreniere’s value has tanked by several orders of magnitude. I would personally pull Lafreniere the 450 miles from NYC to Ottawa on a rickshaw in the dead of winter to make that happen now.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Around draft time, Rangers fans were saying no to Brady Tkachuk for Lafreniere. Pretty sure Lafreniere’s value has tanked by several orders of magnitude. I would personally pull Lafreniere the 450 miles from NYC to Ottawa on a rickshaw in the dead of winter to make that happen now.

Yea, I laughed at that trade and am a jackass for it. After 3 years of no growth, he's exploded.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Yea, I laughed at that trade and am a jackass for it. After 3 years of no growth, he's exploded.

Dude, I remember thinking "nope" myself to Tkachuck + #4 for Lafreniere. The hype was that if Laffy was not a generational talent, it wasn't by much. You don't trade that. Until the hype is so, so wrong.

• Bullseye 1

Saying no then is one thing, and across the league may have even been the majority opinion. Thinking his value hasn't fallen through multiple floors at this point is impossible to even imagine for me.   

Edited by jsrangers

1 hour ago, Pete said:

What is this talent you see?

I saw brief glimpses of it last season on the kid line, but go back and take a look at his 2020 World Junior Championship Play. He may not be playing like it now, but less than 3 years ago, at the age of 18 he was amazing. And I realize that's not the NHL, but it does show that he had/has the ability to be a force in this league, and it's way to early to pull the plug.

59 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

I saw brief glimpses of it last season on the kid line, but go back and take a look at his 2020 World Junior Championship Play. He may not be playing like it now, but less than 3 years ago, at the age of 18 he was amazing. And I realize that's not the NHL, but it does show that he had/has the ability to be a force in this league, and it's way to early to pull the plug.

this might just be the worlds worst highlight video because half of these plays he does nothing:

But of all the ones that are his highlights I’d say the back hand goal after he gets a nice pass from foot and maybe that 1 wrist shot snipe from The blue line are decent. There’s nothing here that screams 1OA to me **from what I can see**

Edit:

alright this one’s better. He does have some nice passss here and a 10 min rant from Ray Ferraro about how great he is 🤣.

two things stand out. 

1) he’s in Mika’s spot on the lw for the pp. and in most highlights he stays on that left side. Seems a lot more comfortable there.

2) he looks faster there than he ever has in the nhl. I still think this is mostly a conditioning issue for him. 

Edited by siddious

46 minutes ago, siddious said:

this might just be the worlds worst highlight video because half of these plays he does nothing:

But of all the ones that are his highlights I’d say the back hand goal after he gets a nice pass from foot and maybe that 1 wrist shot snipe from The blue line are decent. There’s nothing here that screams 1OA to me **from what I can see**

Edit:

alright this one’s better. He does have some nice passss here and a 10 min rant from Ray Ferraro about how great he is 🤣.

two things stand out. 

1) he’s in Mika’s spot on the lw for the pp. and in most highlights he stays on that left side. Seems a lot more comfortable there.

2) he looks faster there than he ever has in the nhl. I still think this is mostly a conditioning issue for him. 

Welcome to 3 years ago. 

His shot from that spot is set up by his threat to pass to someone with a 1 timer.  On this team, game after game, no one finishes the set up. 

8 minutes ago, josh said:

Welcome to 3 years ago. 

His shot from that spot is set up by his threat to pass to someone with a 1 timer.  On this team, game after game, no one finishes the set up. 

That was the other thing I was gonna mention. He’s not a shooter at all. Put him with someone that shoots. 

with that said he isn’t afraid to hold on to the puck in those vids. At the nhl level he’s allergic to it. 

8 minutes ago, siddious said:

That was the other thing I was gonna mention. He’s not a shooter at all. Put him with someone that shoots. 

with that said he isn’t afraid to hold on to the puck in those vids. At the nhl level he’s allergic to it. 

That’s a Quinn thing. Make mistakes faster! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, josh said:

Welcome to 3 years ago. 

It's that lack of talent this team has. Kreider,  Zibanejad,  Panarin... they just can't finish the fat wizards passes. 

• LOL 2

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's that lack of talent this team has. Kreider,  Zibanejad,  Panarin... they just can't finish the fat wizards passes. 

I can remember the same amount of amazing passes he's made where somebody blew the finish as I can him hitting anyone with some stank on it.

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

I mean does it really matter though what he did in Jr's 3 years ago at this point? I don't think it does. He's successfully become a JAG at this level which is the only level that matters now imo.

If he were 25 it wouldn't matter, he's 21.

I'm not going to get on anybody for wanting him gone. I get it, he's playing like crap. I just think it's way to soon. If he goes somewhere else, and all of a sudden becomes all world, then you have to look at GG and his "it's not my job to develop players." comment. Maybe coaches should take an interest in struggling players who come into the league as a can't miss talent. But then again, maybe that's not a GG strength. I'll bet their are coaches and GM's in this league who would jump at the chance to bring LaFreniere into the fold.  

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Edit:

two things stand out. 

It's a head (confidence) thing, and they need to get it fixed. He looked awesome in 2020, and looked like he was having fun. If the Rangers hadn't taken him with the 1st, someone would have taken with the 2nd.