• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere and the Rangers Reach a Critical Point

Pete

3 hours ago, josh said:

You even quoted me saying he’s underperforming yesterday.

of course we want more. Why have I been suggesting PP time in hopes to boost his confidence for the last 3 years? Why have I been repeating “put the kids in a place to be successful” for longer than that? It’s obviously to unlock their potential, not because I don’t like Zibanejad scoring on the PP 😂 

This reply has absolutely nothing to do with the post you quoted. I'll just take the W and move on. 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

The problem with using the Carolina offer sheet as an example,  us that an offer sheet to Lafrenière wouldn't have to be as big of an overpayment.

The Rangers would be screwed if anyone offers 3.5- 4.5, because they probably wouldn't be able to match. Then risk of the compensation is so low, that it is worth it to a bottom barrel team. If a crap team can add a recent 1OA, who really needs a change of scenery, by overpayment by a mill and only have to forfeit a 2nd and 3rd round pick.  Why the he'll not? 

I don't think anybody cares about his first overall pedigree outside of Rangers fans. He stinks. He stunk tonight too. 

Agreed…I’ve been saying it since last year…he does very little of consequence out there.  Yes, on the score sheet, he seems to be on par with Chytil and Kakko…however, look at puck possession, forechecking, back checking, battles in the corner, carrying it through the neutral zone…Kakko is clearly the best of the bunch…he’s also playing against the other teams’ top lines unlike Laffy and Chytil…Chytil probably gets the most bang for the chances he gets.  Kakko gets the most opportunities just by shear hard work…I see it paying off for him eventually.  Laffy, on the other hand, doesn’t leave anyone in the dust…can’t break away from anyone, loses every battle in the corner or along the boards; barely carries the puck anywhere…catch, release, and disappear…just looks like the rest of the game is too fast for him.  You’d think he kick it up in front of the fam and home crowd….that’s not a good sign.  I feel bad for him.  I just don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel for him…I ran into my wall at D1 hockey, so I’m empathetic…I dominated in juniors and got crushed at D1 from day 1 and never caught up…tanked like a dead fish…hope he finds something soon…as long as the Rangers are winning, I don’t think they get rid of him, but if they are one or two players from a championship team, he may have to pack his bags…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, josh said:

No. No. No more prospects. 

I mean realistically they always need good young talent coming into the organization especially with the Terrible contracts they have given out. And who knows maybe another couple of first rounders and they might be able to make a decent choice. 

1 minute ago, siddious said:

I mean realistically they always need good young talent coming into the organization especially with the Terrible contracts they have given out. And who knows maybe another couple of first rounders and they might be able to make a decent choice. 

No. No more picks and prospects 

why? Why would you? 

Sam and Joe sure have been pumping him up lately. They haven't said he's been invisible,  or that he has to do better.  Just exaggeration of how good he does on any play. 

When they do this, I always think its because the player is on the outs or has asked out. Kinda wagging the dog. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Anything Chicago could offer in the Kane trade that would make sending Laf worth it? (Obviously referring to young developing talent) I'm not too familiar with their org.

Most certainly not unless it’s their first this year 🙂

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Anything Chicago could offer in the Kane trade that would make sending Laf worth it? (Obviously referring to young developing talent) I'm not too familiar with their org.

They're still at the early stages of a teardown. The single most valuable asset in the org is the 2023 1st rounder. 

Couple of decent prospects coming up (Reichel, Korchinski,  Del Mastro, Allen) but really...not much high caliber there yet.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

They're still at the early stages of a teardown. The single most valuable asset in the org is the 2023 1st rounder. 

Couple of decent prospects coming up (Reichel, Korchinski,  Del Mastro, Allen) but really...not much high caliber there yet.

You think they would take our two firsts and Laf for their current first and Kane?

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell they move that 1st. 

That first could be Berard...especially if they sell off Kane and Toewes at the deadline. 

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Nail Yakupov was moved for Zach Pochiro and Cameron Crotty. Fantastic return, two household names.

If that's any indication, I see it out and hope Laf has a Kakko-like redemption arc. 

Kakko has 1 more point in 1 more game played. 

18 minutes ago, josh said:

Kakko has 1 more point in 1 more game played. 

Laf has 4 assists in his last 10 games and isn't getting moved up to from the 3rd line anytime soon based on merit. Kakko has played across the lineup and is showing he belongs on the 1st line, while also having 4 goals and 5 assists in his last 11 between the kid line and top line.

Totals, I agree. But when you watch them, you see that Kakko can play on a 1st line no problem. Lafreniere is a borderline third liner right now.

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Nail Yakupov was moved for Zach Pochiro and Cameron Crotty. Fantastic return, two household names.

If that's any indication, I see it out and hope Laf has a Kakko-like redemption arc. 

I just don't see those two in the same light, though. Yakupov was a constant flight risk and a known diva. He couldn't play effectively down lineup. Lafreniere hasn't got those flags on him. By all accounts, he's a good teammate, a team guy, a smart guy, etc. We haven't got good reason to believe otherwise.

16 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Just throwing this out there but ...Kravtsov has been more noticeable than Laf in the recent handful of games. He carries the puck and has been creating plays. Laf has looked.....lost.

Great observation. Never noticed that at all so far. You should join the MSG crew, they could use insight like that on the broadcasts. 

Sorry 😛 

• LOL 1

32 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Just throwing this out there but ...Kravtsov has been more noticeable than Laf in the recent handful of games. He carries the puck and has been creating plays. Laf has looked.....lost.

He's definitely gaining momentum.  So he's due for another vaginal type of injury. 

Repatriation is needed for the young players. Including Lafrenière. Kravtsov just needs to play and be given a long leash. Gallant gave him that last night after that bad penalty.  I was surprised.