• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere and the Rangers Reach a Critical Point

Pete

3 hours ago, josh said:

He was a generational player in junior hockey, for years, regardless of your personal definition, hence why he was talked about for years before his draft.

Was he really, though? His U18 Q numbers are 185 points in 121 games. That's marginally better than superstars like Angelo Esposito and Christian Dube.

Just now, LindG1000 said:

Was he really, though? His U18 Q numbers are 185 points in 121 games. That's marginally better than superstars like Angelo Esposito and Christian Dube.

He was age exempt and came up a year early, no?

My take on Lafraniere is that you have a kid that at 13 years old is told that he's going to be the #1 pick when he's eligible for the NHL draft and it goes to his head.   He becomes complacent and lazy.  Never has to really try hard because he's always been the best.  The outcome is that you get Lafraniere today.  Someone that doesn't play hard, is lazy and out of shape and doesn't know how to compete against players better than him.

Of course there's no way to prove this, but that's what it looks like in my eyes.

• Bullseye 4
  • VINNY! 1

22 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

My take on Lafraniere is that you have a kid that at 13 years old is told that he's going to be the #1 pick when he's eligible for the NHL draft and it goes to his head.   He becomes complacent and lazy.  Never has to really try hard because he's always been the best.  The outcome is that you get Lafraniere today.  Someone that doesn't play hard, is lazy and out of shape and doesn't know how to compete against players better than him.

Of course there's no way to prove this, but that's what it looks like in my eyes.

Not saying this is for sure wrong because there's no way for any of us to really know the truth about it.

But it looks to me like the player has respect of his teammates. I really hope that him being given the broadway hat for no reason was a sign of how the team feels about him. I don't think they would do that if he was someone who didnt give a shit.

the 10 months of no competitive hockey from COVID in the most important part of his development seems to have really set him back, he's been playing catch up ever since. 

Jack Hughes took a couple of years to start to really come into his own, and that was with getting more opportunities than Laf has ever gotten. With all that said, this next half a season and into next season are going to be critical for Laf to pick things up. If he can become even like 75% of the player Hughes is, we'll have something really good. He certainly wouldn't be the first high draft pick that took some time to adjust to the NHL.

Sort of off topic, but I wish there could be some kind of rule change about young players getting time in the AHL. Like there are players who are too good for Juniors, but maybe not quite ready for the NHL yet. But because they are 18 or 19 they either have to play limited roles in the NHL or go to Juniors and continue playing against competition below them. I would have to imagine if Laf could've started in the AHL it would've helped him a bit

36 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Not saying this is for sure wrong because there's no way for any of us to really know the truth about it.

But it looks to me like the player has respect of his teammates. I really hope that him being given the broadway hat for no reason was a sign of how the team feels about him. I don't think they would do that if he was someone who didnt give a shit.

Harpur said he gave Laf the hat because he knows what it's like being a scratch and coming back into the lineup. It was just one guy doing a thing.

the 10 months of no competitive hockey from COVID in the most important part of his development seems to have really set him back, he's been playing catch up ever since. 

Jack Hughes took a couple of years to start to really come into his own, and that was with getting more opportunities than Laf has ever gotten. With all that said, this next half a season and into next season are going to be critical for Laf to pick things up. If he can become even like 75% of the player Hughes is, we'll have something really good. He certainly wouldn't be the first high draft pick that took some time to adjust to the NHL.

And the bottom line is he won't get them for another 2-3 seasons after this. Not while Kreider and Panarin are here. So you have to ask, is he more valuable to us now as a trade chip, or do you gamble and see what he is in 2-3 years?

Sort of off topic, but I wish there could be some kind of rule change about young players getting time in the AHL. Like there are players who are too good for Juniors, but maybe not quite ready for the NHL yet. But because they are 18 or 19 they either have to play limited roles in the NHL or go to Juniors and continue playing against competition below them. I would have to imagine if Laf could've started in the AHL it would've helped him a bit

Completely agree, it couldn't be more evident.

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

Or Jessiman. It seems that all other first round draft picks that year made the NHL except for the Rangers pick, of course 

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

Or Jessiman. It seems that all other first round draft picks that year made the NHL except for the Rangers pick, of course 

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

I heard you, bro. I know it was your first non- 🔥 take but you don't need to say it 3 times.

• LMFAO 1

Went back and watched Laffy’s recruiting video for the draft…he was compared to Sid and Tavares given the accolades only the 3 of them earned in their times in juniors, and all 3 went #1….

Tavares’s points (goals) for his first 3 years in the NHL: 54(24)-67(29)-81(31) 

Sid’s points (goals) for his first 3 years in the NHL: 102(39) -120(36) -72(24)

Laffy: 21(12)-31(19)-18(5)

WTF?

1 hour ago, Pistol Pete said:

Went back and watched Laffy’s recruiting video for the draft…he was compared to Sid and Tavares given the accolades only the 3 of them earned in their times in juniors, and all 3 went #1….

WTF?

It is almost astonishing. How in the hell? Mental midget? All the talent but not the work ethic? Space Jam aliens stole his talent?

This will be a head scratcher for a long time.

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Everything you're going to read for the next 2 pages is true. 

It's his role. 

It's in his head.

It's his effort. 

It's all true. They all get a piece of the pie. Your mileage may vary on how big each slice is. 

Honestly Pete… who is to say even what’s what with him.

Cause here’s the thing…

You’re right when you say as a 1OVA, he’s not been good.

His foot speed isn’t good.

Hes not in great shape.

He hasn’t looked dynamic.

The flashes have been infrequent.

Others are right when they say…

He isn’t a typical 1OVA in terms of development and team and opportunities, etc.

Plus COVID stuff.

Confidence is off.

The only remedy is to wait. 
Cause I don’t believe they are trading him.

And I don’t think you do either. 

If we are seeing the same stuff in a year, then it’s time to move on. 
But we aren’t there yet.

7 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Honestly Pete… who is to say even what’s what with him.

Cause here’s the thing…

You’re right when you say as a 1OVA, he’s not been good.

His foot speed isn’t good.

Hes not in great shape.

He hasn’t looked dynamic.

The flashes have been infrequent.

Others are right when they say…

He isn’t a typical 1OVA in terms of development and team and opportunities, etc.

Plus COVID stuff.

Confidence is off.

The only remedy is to wait. 
Cause I don’t believe they are trading him.

And I don’t think you do either. 

If we are seeing the same stuff in a year, then it’s time to move on. 
But we aren’t there yet.

Yea, I get it. We've been doing this dance for months and everyone is right. 

Edited by Pete
Replaced "right?" With "right."

Just now, Pete said:

Yea, I get it. We've been doing this dance for months and everyone is right? 

It’s just where we are.

Hes going to be around through the next 18 months.

Thats what’s up

I suppose it’s a fun talking point… but regardless of which side of the fence you come down on, it’s nothing more than that.

Cause nothing is going to happen. 

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

It’s just where we are.

Hes going to be around through the next 18 months.

Thats what’s up

I suppose it’s a fun talking point… but regardless of which side of the fence you come down on, it’s nothing more than that.

Cause nothing is going to happen. 

So sorry, fat thumbs on a keyboard. That should have been "Yea, I get it. We've been doing this dance for months and everyone is right. "

I really believe everyone has a point. But all points aren't equal. 

17 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

WTF?

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

57 minutes ago, siddious said:

The upside is too high- you simply don’t trade Laf. And when it’s too far gone you move him for another bust and hope the change of scenery wakes the return up. 

spooner for strome.

This is the way.

Yeah… pretty much. 
Still far too early to cut bait on him.

And if as you said, he busts, then he busts. But you give him as much time as you can. 
Im thinking that’s at least through next season.